Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:20 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,872 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by PaperBag
OK, so this past weekend saw me go on a group ride/benefit. On my way to pick up gf, I ran it up to about 75, 80 on the interstate. The quiet pocket of air seems to have a sweet spot - on my bike - between about 45 up to 70-ish, over that the force of the oncoming air overwhelms the aerodynamics of the top of the shield. In the pocket, the air just rips over the very top of my helmet. Over 70, it begins to buffet and get uncomfortable. That's fine by me, as I rarely go over 70 these days anyway, LOL.

I didn't ride today, but I did tilt the top of it another couple inches forward just to see what that will do to the pocket. I'll probably ride again Thursday, and I won't bore you all with further reports unless something amazing happens. I also want to try tilting it WAAAY back (army_eod tried this) and check THAT out. Mods are always a work in progress until we get 'em sorted out. This is no exception.

Ride safe!
What windshield we talking about here? OEM or aftermarket? I'd be interested in the wayyyy back results.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:36 AM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

I love ClearView windshields. I put their GT 18’’ curve top with 5 position vent on my 2014 FLSTC. The wind hits just above my helmet. A few weeks ago I purchased a new 2019 heritage 114. I ordered the same windshield for my new bike. These windshields are thicker than Harleys . Check them out, you won’t be sorry.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:22 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
What windshield we talking about here? OEM or aftermarket? I'd be interested in the wayyyy back results.
He put a 16" WindVest on his Springer. The way back setting was aimed pretty much at his face and that's why they didn't go that route. I just bought the one army eod was selling and that should be in tomorrow. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:11 AM
PaperBag
Banned
Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Sorry, bro - I was following up on my install of a Windvest 16" shield, pix above.

As I mentioned, my goal was to create a quieter airspace around my head. I suffer from tinnitus and after many years of riding in and out of the blast (as well as loud music and gunfire...), it was starting to get worse, thus the search for a quieter solution. I also wanted one that I could look *over,* not through, and still have that pocket of stiller air. This was a piece that was suggested by poster army_eod. I looked into them, and it seemed their solution was what I was looking for. I'm still adjusting it for best performance, but I'm pretty sure its going to work.

And finally, hearing loss is no joke. My tinnitus won't magically get better and it could get worse. Imagine a high-pitched hiss or whine in your head 24/7. Any time you experience loud noise and walk away with ringing in your ears, you've experienced a loss. It might not seem to be acute right then and there, but over time it adds up. It DOES NOT get better, and hearing aids aren't cheap. I have a pair of those roll-up foam ear plugs in my pocket all the time, and I use them riding, every time.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm a musician and its a sore topic in that community. This is a discussion for a different thread.

Ride safe!

The following 3 users liked this post by PaperBag:
BikerPepe` (09-16-2020), NoRegerts (09-16-2020), Roeville (09-18-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:58 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,872 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by PaperBag
Sorry, bro - I was following up on my install of a Windvest 16" shield, pix above.

As I mentioned, my goal was to create a quieter airspace around my head. I suffer from tinnitus and after many years of riding in and out of the blast (as well as loud music and gunfire...), it was starting to get worse, thus the search for a quieter solution. I also wanted one that I could look *over,* not through, and still have that pocket of stiller air. This was a piece that was suggested by poster army_eod. I looked into them, and it seemed their solution was what I was looking for. I'm still adjusting it for best performance, but I'm pretty sure its going to work.

And finally, hearing loss is no joke. My tinnitus won't magically get better and it could get worse. Imagine a high-pitched hiss or whine in your head 24/7. Any time you experience loud noise and walk away with ringing in your ears, you've experienced a loss. It might not seem to be acute right then and there, but over time it adds up. It DOES NOT get better, and hearing aids aren't cheap. I have a pair of those roll-up foam ear plugs in my pocket all the time, and I use them riding, every time.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm a musician and its a sore topic in that community. This is a discussion for a different thread.

Ride safe!
Gotcha. I had a Windvest on an old Heritage 10 years or so ago, and I really liked it. Looked great, real minimalist but it did the job.

I wear ear plugs most of the time, especially if I'm going to ride the Interstate.

I'm a musician too, but I play drums. Different ballgame.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:17 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

I've got tinnitus too. High pitch whine in the dead of night, always. Not from from riding though. Military and years of firearms training and explosives. Even with the ear pro I have it. I'm also a musician, guitar. I always were my ear plugs and take care of my hearing. It's still good, but I don't want to lose anymore.

Onto today's topic:

I ordered a set of Wild 1 stubby risers and Chubby 14" Outlaw apes for the bike. Gonna have to figure out mounting for the WindVest with my new wild (pun intended) purchase. I think I can order the larger bracket mounting rings. I'll call them shortly and make sure.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:49 PM
ThunderTruck
Tourer
Received 315 Likes on 159 Posts

[QUOTE=RIPbiker13;19403697]I've got tinnitus too. High pitch whine in the dead of night, always. Not from from riding though. Military and years of firearms training and explosives. Even with the ear pro I have it. I'm also a musician, guitar. I always were my ear plugs and take care of my hearing. It's still good, but I don't want to lose anymore.
QUOTE]

I know its a separate topic but tinnitus is brutal, I always use earplugs for a ride as I dont want further lose after 40+ years in industrial settings.

Not much done today but watching the tracking for my Healtech shifter and aluminum full length console. Slowly making their way to me

Old 09-16-2020, 02:06 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=ThunderTruck;19404075]
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
I've got tinnitus too. High pitch whine in the dead of night, always. Not from from riding though. Military and years of firearms training and explosives. Even with the ear pro I have it. I'm also a musician, guitar. I always were my ear plugs and take care of my hearing. It's still good, but I don't want to lose anymore.
QUOTE]

I know its a separate topic but tinnitus is brutal, I always use earplugs for a ride as I dont want further lose after 40+ years in industrial settings.

Not much done today but watching the tracking for my Healtech shifter and aluminum full length console. Slowly making their way to me
My interest is piqued. What is that?

Old 09-16-2020, 02:16 PM
ThunderTruck
Tourer
Received 315 Likes on 159 Posts

[QUOTE=RIPbiker13;19404115]
Originally Posted by ThunderTruck
My interest is piqued. What is that?
when I swapped tanks I wanted to have a full length one piece console, finally found what I wanted at Bitchin Seats. It comes rough cut and you trim to ensure a proper fit. Then I'll send out for chroming.

The following 2 users liked this post by ThunderTruck:
Morish (09-16-2020), NoRegerts (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:26 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,939 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
I ordered a set of Wild 1 stubby risers and Chubby 14" Outlaw apes for the bike. Gonna have to figure out mounting for the WindVest with my new wild (pun intended) purchase. I think I can order the larger bracket mounting rings. I'll call them shortly and make sure.
I think you should be very satisfied with that purchase. I've run a few sets of their bars and been very happy with the fit, form and the support. I purchased what I was told were a set of Chubby's after my last wreck/rebuild off craigslist. After just 3 years, the bars started to crack at the center hole for the internal wire routing. I contacted Wild One Inc. and they agreed to stand behind them and would send me out a new set... I assume, based on a prior purchase years before but still in their records. As I prepared to returned the problem set, they contacted me to inform me that the problem bars I planned to send back to them were not theirs but a knock-off brand. They explained patiently and showed me the differences between the knock-offs and the originals. I apologized profusely for my confusion and paid them for the new set and have been enjoying them again, ever since... 5 yrs ago. Great product and a stand up company, ime.

The following users liked this post:
NoRegerts (09-16-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?