Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 08:54 PM
wjb111
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

Was going to take a ride this afternoon and no power to the dash and just dead. Pulled the seat to check battery connections and sure enough loose and corroded. I had not checked them yet as I’ve had no issues and the bike for just 4 months. Saw a stray negative wire and surely knew what is was for. Hooked it up and waalaa, the Infinity Light that was on the bike when I bought it now works. LOL!
Bill B

Attached Files
Old 08-29-2020, 09:14 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 885 Likes on 583 Posts

I have to say that's surprising, I ordered the same one in black for my Dyna, perfect fit with HD cover.

Originally Posted by Ludwig von Buzzthoven
I replaced the cowbell horn cover with an Arlen Ness round one.

Pros:

- It’s way better looking than the cowbell.
- Any 5-hole timer cover can be used as the insert, which is awesome. I had an unused Harley Brass Collection sitting around, and that’s what you see in the pics.

Cons:

- A couple of the holes on the horn cover for the insert were not drilled very well. Timer cover screws are notoriously soft, so I had to take my time screwing them in/was careful not to overly tighten them.
- The cover exposes more of the horn bracket. I should have replaced the chrome bracket with a black one, which I’ll do as soon as I can get one.
- The OEM nut plates are a pain to get on the new cover, and it’s tough not to scratch the new cover tabs which they slide on to.

Overall, I like it a lot.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:30 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Yesterday I installed my new PathfinderLED head light bulb. Skipped the passing lights for the moment since they're such a pain to get at.
Went out riding between showers only to find that I have *NO* high beam now! When I switch to high, the passing lights go out & the high beam comes on for just a second then it all goes back to low beam & passing lights... Not a happy camper...

Old 08-31-2020, 01:28 AM
alanchester
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed a pair of V&H Straightshots slip ons to my 04 FLSTCi.
Wow what a noise, it now sounds like a Harley❣️

Old 08-31-2020, 05:01 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer

Originally Posted by Capt_Salty
Yesterday I installed my new PathfinderLED head light bulb. Skipped the passing lights for the moment since they're such a pain to get at.
Went out riding between showers only to find that I have *NO* high beam now! When I switch to high, the passing lights go out & the high beam comes on for just a second then it all goes back to low beam & passing lights... Not a happy camper...
Quick update... kept mucking around with the light and also swapped the passing lights to LED.
So far, so good. Will find out more tomorrow after the rains go away...

The following users liked this post:
Chris2fur (08-31-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 06:55 PM
ThunderTruck
Tourer
Received 312 Likes on 158 Posts

Well thanks a bunch for planting the seed LOL.

I contacted Mike in Australia and he is assembling a kit for my Fatboy with a polished stainless heim jointed shaft. Looking forward to installing!

Originally Posted by Tall Timber
the kit is an off the shelf item from healtech with a custom wiring loom and shifter capsule (that holds the sensor) made by a guy here in Australia.

i have the kit on both my bikes and the combination of more adjustment and heim joints makes for less play.

Here is a thread I started when I installed the kit on my Dyna https://www.hdforums.com/forum/www.h....php?t=1293649

The components are identical between Softail and Dyna with the exception of the shifter shaft. I needed a shorter one (which Mike who sells these kits machines up for me).

See below - stock Deluxe on top, Dyna for qse in the middle and deluxe for qse on the bottom.

The following users liked this post:
Tall Timber (09-12-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:02 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer

Quick update... kept mucking around with the light and also swapped the passing lights to LED.
So far, so good. Will find out more tomorrow after the rains go away...
Crappolla! After riding awhile the friggin' light is bonkers again! Click on high beam, passing lights go out (as normal) and high beam comes ONLY to immediately go back to low beam with passing lights on again...
Awaiting further advice from SOCALMOTOGEAR, the PathfinderLED people.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Chris2fur
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Crappolla! After riding awhile the friggin' light is bonkers again! Click on high beam, passing lights go out (as normal) and high beam comes ONLY to immediately go back to low beam with passing lights on again...
Awaiting further advice from SOCALMOTOGEAR, the PathfinderLED people.
Totally frustrating. Feel your pain, but not much help I'm afraid...

Old 09-02-2020, 07:12 AM
Hlgsn1
Tourer
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts

Almost sounds like your hi beam switch is installed upside down. My bike has flash to pass or whatever you want to call it.
pushing down on the hi low switch will bring the hi beam on for a second. Rocking the switch up will turn on hi beam.
Is it possible the that switch might be the problem?
Not the black cover but the switch underneath it? Maybe when they installed cruise control.
I have never had one apart so not sure if this is even possible.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer

I wish it were that simple. Lights work properly at the beginning, but after riding a bit the demon takes over. I also do not have cruise control.
Folks at SoCal MotoGear are blaming it on "something with my bike" even though all works fine with the halogen bulb!

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?