Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 09:31 PM
wjb111
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Picture?

i still need to install/glue the lid underside piece. Definitely happy with Saggy Bags!

Bill B

The following users liked this post:
YZR (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 10:10 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
Excellent rain tire. I had the original Avon cobras on my own 09 heritage and put the chromes on my 06 softail. I had dunlops and metzler's and they don't compare. The Chromes are outstanding. As soon as my stock Duns wear out on my SG I will switch to Chrome's....
Interesting. I would have thought it would be slick with no tread down the center like that. Thanks for the insight.

Cheers!

Old 08-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Dieselsoftail
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstar225
Installed the Saggy Bags liners in my Heritage Softail's saddlebags. Just got the bike a month ago and the bags were badly collapsed. Had some difficulty but called Saggy Bags and Bobby gave me a suggestion that really helped out. Bags look almost new now.
I also did this recently and will say best 100 bucks I spent. bags look great

Last edited by Dieselsoftail; 08-06-2020 at 08:36 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Dieselsoftail:
Capt_Salty (08-06-2020), Goldstar225 (08-06-2020), schlacker (08-06-2020), wjb111 (08-06-2020), YZR (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Just discovered that my fuel line is leaking... a lot! Not in stock at the stealership and stock part is $48...
Ordered stainless braided line from Dennis-Kirk for same price, including shipping.
Now, to siphon out a friggin' full tank of fuel... Grrrr

Old 08-06-2020, 07:59 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

Started reassembling Reaper's top end. Made it as far as the lower rocker boxes and found out I am missing the o-rings that go under the head breathers, so, I decided to call it a day. Installing the spring locks into the pistons was a bitch! And I found out that my ring compressor tool is pretty crappy. It kept twisting and the top ring would slip out. Made installing the jugs take a LOT longer than it should have!

Hopefully my local dealer has those o-rings in stock, and I can finish up tomorrow, and get back in the wind. This has been one of the hardest months I've ever had to endure!

I'm really looking forward to seeing/feeling how the Wood TW6-HG cams perform.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by Clammy:
bigpup (08-07-2020), BikerPepe` (08-06-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 09:56 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_Salty
Just discovered that my fuel line is leaking... a lot! Not in stock at the stealership and stock part is $48...
Ordered stainless braided line from Dennis-Kirk for same price, including shipping.
Now, to siphon out a friggin' full tank of fuel... Grrrr
Why are you emptying the tank? The fuel line has a quick connect at the tank end and a standard fuel line connection at the throttlebody.
The quick connect doesn't leak when you remove the fuel line from the tank. (maybe a little dribble)

Old 08-07-2020, 08:33 PM
wjb111
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Installed my new Memphis shades 17” solar tint windshield. Sit on the bike after installed thinking this seems no shorter than the 20” I just took off. 🤔
Got the tape measure and it is indeed 20”. PISSED! Pretty much destroyed the windshield I took off due to the mounting brackets having some sort of adhesive between them and the windshield. Called JP Cycles and it sounds like the wrong size was shipped even though the part# was for the 17” Dude says they have no more 17” in stock with no info on delivery. Ok I will return for a credit and explained I had it mounted so it may have witness marks/light scratches since it’s pinched between the brackets when installed. His comment was if it’s not new condition it will be shipped back to me with no credit. 🤬. Shipped it this afternoon, we shall see. That would be **** poor service if they do this since it was their mistake, not mine.

went online direct to Memphis shades and ordered the 17”. 🙂

Bill B

Old 08-07-2020, 08:40 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,257 Likes on 1,519 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselsoftail
I also did this recently and will say best 100 bucks I spent. bags look great

I just picked up an 09 and this is what i need for the bags. Those look great. Were they hard to do? How long did it take if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-07-2020, 09:39 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
I just picked up an 09 and this is what i need for the bags. Those look great. Were they hard to do? How long did it take if you don't mind me asking?
I will chime in here if you don't mind.
It is not a difficult install, you just need to take your time.
Some good shears are a plus, I just used tinsnips. Also, sliding the long piece in can be a bit tricky but if I can do it anyone can! It is well worth the investment in time and dollars!!

Old 08-08-2020, 01:06 AM
crtfibl
Grand HDF Member
Received 8,691 Likes on 2,904 Posts

Just finished my mini project. Sorry, no pics tonight, garage is cramped and hard to get a good shot.

1) My HD dual battery charger has not been working (lights were blinking, but they are supposed to be solid when charging). Hadn't paid too much attention. Meant to pull the seat to check the battery charger cable, but too lazy and besides I would have bet it hadn't come loose. Finally started thinking about it, and seeing something somewhere made me think that the charger cable probably had a fuse, and then a day later remember trying out my new portable air compressor (which turned out to be cheap Chinese crap from Harbor Freight) with battery cable and charger blew its fuse. So decided there had to be a fuse and it had to be blown. Checked online and AutoZone (not far from me) wanted $4.29 for a single fuse, and I wasn't sure what fuse it was, so I ordered from Amazon instead. Got 120 fuse assortment for $10. I used one 7.5 amp fuse, I have 119 left if anybody needs one. Problem fixed.

2) While the seat was off, installed my new Captain Itch crotch cooler, which came yesterday. Very pleased!

Now for tomorrow, my big project is to put some damn miles on her for a change.

The following users liked this post:
Capt_Salty (08-08-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?