Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Chris2fur
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoppingTacos
Headlight and aux lights brands?
Sorry! Don't know. Lights were switched to LEDs by previous owner and he kept minimal records. He picked good ones, whatever they are. The passing lamps are wired with halos always on and the halos alone are quite bright--not that they light up the road, but they are really visible at night from a long way away. I should have gotten some numbers off of them while I had them out.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:56 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Where to begin?
Wife's been bitching the bike's to loud, it's a 94 FXSTC with V&H Big Shot Staggered, so I figured I'd try some V&H Quiet Baffles.I bought these used
they're pictured in My avatar.
Well 1 if the tip allen bolts was seized and stripped and 2 baffle bolts stripped. So I figured I'd remove the pipes and drill them out and retap the holes in the tips and baffles
should I decide to put them back in. I was successful on the tip but not on the old baffles.
Fortunately I had a brand new set of pipes, Drag Specialty Pythons, Made by V&H but branded PYTHON and non replaceable tips. NBD
I removed the stock baffles from the V&H and put in the Python baffles, installed the tips and put in the Python box, Just in case you never know.
I put the Quiet Baffles in the Pythons, new Exhaust gaskets and clamps. Go to tighten everything back up and cross thread an exhaust flange bolt (front right).
I go to take it out and the whole stud comes out. SOOOO, I stack a bunch of washers to make up for the 1/2" of bolt that the nut won't travel to seat the flange and thread it back in.
I tighten some other bolts that have shaken loose and start it up. Nice lower tone and still plenty loud.
OH, BTW, the wife comes out, says what you doing?
I tell her I'm installing Quiet Baffles.
She asks "Why? Loud pipes save lives."
I can't win.

The following 4 users liked this post by RANGER73:
BikerPepe` (09-28-2019), Chris2fur (09-27-2019), JakeC7R (09-27-2019), SPITZEGESCHOSSE (10-03-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 05:52 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Where to begin?
Wife's been bitching the bike's to loud, it's a 94 FXSTC with V&H Big Shot Staggered, so I figured I'd try some V&H Quiet Baffles.I bought these used
they're pictured in My avatar.
Well 1 if the tip allen bolts was seized and stripped and 2 baffle bolts stripped. So I figured I'd remove the pipes and drill them out and retap the holes in the tips and baffles
should I decide to put them back in. I was successful on the tip but not on the old baffles.
Fortunately I had a brand new set of pipes, Drag Specialty Pythons, Made by V&H but branded PYTHON and non replaceable tips. NBD
I removed the stock baffles from the V&H and put in the Python baffles, installed the tips and put in the Python box, Just in case you never know.
I put the Quiet Baffles in the Pythons, new Exhaust gaskets and clamps. Go to tighten everything back up and cross thread an exhaust flange bolt (front right).
I go to take it out and the whole stud comes out. SOOOO, I stack a bunch of washers to make up for the 1/2" of bolt that the nut won't travel to seat the flange and thread it back in.
I tighten some other bolts that have shaken loose and start it up. Nice lower tone and still plenty loud.
OH, BTW, the wife comes out, says what you doing?
I tell her I'm installing Quiet Baffles.
She asks "Why? Loud pipes save lives."
I can't win.
Now THAT'S funny.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:46 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,637 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Had an erratic idle on my bike so I went in and cleaned the IAC motor, throttle body and butterfly valve. Idle no longer drops and shuts me down or cause a backfire through the TB.
I want to do the vent, need to find a drill press.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:03 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
Had an erratic idle on my bike so I went in and cleaned the IAC motor, throttle body and butterfly valve. Idle no longer drops and shuts me down or cause a backfire through the TB.
I want to do the vent, need to find a drill press.
Sorry for the ignorance but what is the IAC motor? I know where the throttle body and butterfly valve are and I clean them up on my car.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:36 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

IAC is the "Idle speed control sensor" , so it is not really a motor but more a sensor that can be cleaned

IAC pintle

Last edited by MoneyFor; 09-29-2019 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling :)
Old 09-29-2019, 07:10 AM
Robert Hardy
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 07 Fatboy doesn't have the wire coming out of the ECM for the tacho, just ordered 2 from the States (I'm in OZ). Did the gear indicator work and did you need to add the Tacho wire?? Cheers, Rob.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:19 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,637 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
IAC is the "Idle speed control sensor" , so it is not really a motor but more a sensor that can be cleaned

IAC pintle

Sorry, I should have stated what it was. The pinole moves up and down to control the idle, carbon and dirt will clog the little port or the pinole gets stuck, so with carb cleaner I clean it out. I have pulled them out on a car and cleaned them. The air flow sensor was also covered with dirt and oil. I used a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaner for that.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:11 PM
brapple
Cruiser
Received 148 Likes on 69 Posts

Removed the passenger seat, installed some Accel U-Groove Plugs to took it for a 3 hour ride... Wouldn't believe the difference a set of good plugs will make... Money well invested...

Old 09-29-2019, 11:02 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Changed the engine oil, replaced the four license plate bolts with red bulb bolts. (Just to give it more 'visual' from the rear.)
Installed front and rear camera and ran all wires. Just need to pull the chin spoiler off so that I can connect it to power. I hope this
one works well as I'm tired of the GoPro mounted on the handlebar. These cameras are about 1 inch square and almost invisible.
One is mounted on a small home made bracket on the lower triple tree, the other is mounted under the rear seat bolt.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?