Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:09 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

My 05 FXSTSI is finally road ready. Picked it up last Dec, less than 5K on the clock.
Here's the stuff I've done:

Changed the 3 fluids,
throttle tube and grips, (Lowbrow customs fishtail)
new HD mirrors that are 1.5 inches taller
Added the Kuryakyn extended brake pedal
replace the obnoxious exhaust that came with the bike with a stock one (for now). Bought from a member here, good guy.
Installed a S&S air cleaner. Between that and the new brake pedal, it's much easier to actually get a foot on the brake.
Mustang tank bib that's felt backed to replace the stock vinyl one

At the indy:
new tires: Pirelli Night Dragos
brake fluid flush
give it a good go over

The bike came with a Power Commander III USB but I don't have the cable. It's running good, but I should fine tune it due to the stock restrictive pipes and new A/C.

probably forgot a thing or 2, but that's a good start. Looks good sitting outside at work.

The following users liked this post:
soldierbot (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,637 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
My 05 FXSTSI is finally road ready. Picked it up last Dec, less than 5K on the clock.
Here's the stuff I've done:

Changed the 3 fluids,
throttle tube and grips, (Lowbrow customs fishtail)
new HD mirrors that are 1.5 inches taller
Added the Kuryakyn extended brake pedal
replace the obnoxious exhaust that came with the bike with a stock one (for now). Bought from a member here, good guy.
Installed a S&S air cleaner. Between that and the new brake pedal, it's much easier to actually get a foot on the brake.
Mustang tank bib that's felt backed to replace the stock vinyl one

At the indy:
new tires: Pirelli Night Dragos
brake fluid flush
give it a good go over

The bike came with a Power Commander III USB but I don't have the cable. It's running good, but I should fine tune it due to the stock restrictive pipes and new A/C.

probably forgot a thing or 2, but that's a good start. Looks good sitting outside at work.

I have the same Power commander on my '06 the cord is just a regular size USB cord.

kngpn (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 02:48 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
I have the same Power commander on my '06 the cord is just a regular size USB cord.
awesome thanks! I thought for sure it would be a proprietary cable. I haven't gotten around to doing much research on it. I know have have some of those around. Looks like I have my night planned!

Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 298 Posts

Swapped out the stock tank bib for a new custom one I had made.

GarageJockey (05-28-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:16 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 321 Likes on 181 Posts

Went on a 200+ mile ride and halfway thru, the brand new clutch side grip I just installed last weekend fell off and bounced down highway. Buddy and I turned around and went to find it and it had been run over several times, including by a 18-wheeler right in front of me. Finish is ruined, but it was not bent and I put it back on for rest of ride.

Got home and replaced with my Avon contour gel grips. I was going to reinstall the Avon’s anyway, as 10 minutes into ride I new the Avon’s felt better in my hands. Last time I buy grips with set screws. I have used them in past with no issues, but I’ll stick with the grips that secure under switch housing from now on. Lot less stress worrying about something you shouldn’t even have to think about.

Last edited by txphatboy; 05-25-2019 at 10:17 AM.
soldierbot (05-25-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,191 Likes on 1,130 Posts

the fuel gauge on my 2005 FXSTI quit working last fall stays stuck on full so I was just going by miles on trip meter seeing how never was accurate anyways so I was at my local HD shop a week ago and was talking to the mechanic about it who has been turning wrenches full time on Harleys since the seventies says that's an easy fix just put a small amount of Marvels mystery oil in your gas tank next time you fill up!! so I did and after one tank of fuel the gauge started working again and is more accurate than it ever was he says todays fuel has such a small amount of lubrication in it that it causes the float to hang up and only need to ad Marvels a couple tanks a season to keep it working and accurate!! this guy has saved me a ton of money over the years with his little antidotes and the sharing of his knowledge!!

The following 4 users liked this post by Mallard Slayer:
Big Mule (05-26-2019), Bobster109 (05-26-2019), soldierbot (05-26-2019), YZR (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 10:59 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 973 Posts

^^^^ Great info and I will log this one in my memory banks.
Thanks for sharing!

Mallard Slayer (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 11:27 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
the fuel gauge on my 2005 FXSTI quit working last fall stays stuck on full so I was just going by miles on trip meter seeing how never was accurate anyways so I was at my local HD shop a week ago and was talking to the mechanic about it who has been turning wrenches full time on Harleys since the seventies says that's an easy fix just put a small amount of Marvels mystery oil in your gas tank next time you fill up!! so I did and after one tank of fuel the gauge started working again and is more accurate than it ever was he says todays fuel has such a small amount of lubrication in it that it causes the float to hang up and only need to ad Marvels a couple tanks a season to keep it working and accurate!! this guy has saved me a ton of money over the years with his little antidotes and the sharing of his knowledge!!
Nice picture, nice bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by OldMike:
Mallard Slayer (05-26-2019), soldierbot (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:12 PM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
Back in the '70,s we used marvel by the drum out in the west Tx oil patch and I have continued to use it today in everything from lawn mowers to commercial tractors. Will help keep carbs from gumming up and injectors clean.

Mallard Slayer (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:35 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,191 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by lonesum
Back in the '70,s we used marvel by the drum out in the west Tx oil patch and I have continued to use it today in everything from lawn mowers to commercial tractors. Will help keep carbs from gumming up and injectors clean.
marvels mystery oil is some amazing stuff about twenty years ago I bought this 1974 GMC pickup with a 454 in it and the power steering pump was louder than the engine and would chatter when turning the wheels the pump was on its last leg!! not having the money for a new one I emptied the power steering fluid completely out of it and filled it with marvels and instantly it quieted up and worked perfectly and was still on that truck years later with another eighty thousand miles on it and still going strong when I sold the truck!! good stuff!!

Last edited by Mallard Slayer; 05-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?