Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:13 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,424 Likes on 7,999 Posts

I suspected as much.

Stopped at the dealer for parts....I laughed at the sales person who tried to get me to trade my bonez in on a new model. I could see the truth in his eyes...he wouldn't either.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Wasn't today...was last Friday.

Then rode my 2012 Heritage the rest of the day...it's not as fast, and the suspension is not as good....But I liked it MUCH better!

The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (09-02-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 04:24 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Changed the oil, put in new plugs and I also needed a new headlight. Now all is good.

splattttttt (09-02-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 03:27 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

Saturday, I installed a new Magnum Shielding stainless steel clutch cable on Reaper... curbside... in a town 70 miles away from home, after the 3 year old Barnett cable she had snapped at the lever, leaving me stranded the night before...

Tuesday evening, I installed an HD docking hardware kit, transferred Reaper's sissybar to quick detach side plates, and mounted the 2011 King Tour Pak, I recently bought, onto a Kuryakyn adjustable Tour Pak mount, and then onto the HD quick detach Tour Pak rack. I had to modify the Kury rack to fit the HD rack. Nothing much there - drilled 4 new holes in the base plate, and badda-boom, badda-bing, it was done. Mounted it on Reaper, and it doesn't look too bad. The Kury rack works as advertised, and saved me from having to drill holes in the Tour Pak itself.

Last night, I installed new head breathers and pushrod tube o-rings. I had rebuilt the breathers a couple of weeks ago using an HD rebuild kit I bought from my local dealer, and since then, she'd been puking oil out the breather bolts more than ever. Last night, I found out that the rebuild kit they sold me was for an earlier version of the breathers (see my thread in the General Chat section: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-kit-hunh.html ). While I had the rocker arm support plate out, I drilled the oil return holes out, and now she doesn't spit a drop of oil out the breather bolts.

Tonight, I will be replacing the front brake line, as it's too short fort he 16" Wild One Chubby Apes I installed a couple of weeks ago.

Whew... it seems like a lot of stuff when you type it all out, hehehe...

Cheers!

Old 08-31-2017, 04:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
Saturday, I installed a new Magnum Shielding stainless steel clutch cable on Reaper... curbside... in a town 70 miles away from home, after the 3 year old Barnett cable she had snapped at the lever, leaving me stranded the night before...

Tuesday evening, I installed an HD docking hardware kit, transferred Reaper's sissybar to quick detach side plates, and mounted the 2011 King Tour Pak, I recently bought, onto a Kuryakyn adjustable Tour Pak mount, and then onto the HD quick detach Tour Pak rack. I had to modify the Kury rack to fit the HD rack. Nothing much there - drilled 4 new holes in the base plate, and badda-boom, badda-bing, it was done. Mounted it on Reaper, and it doesn't look too bad. The Kury rack works as advertised, and saved me from having to drill holes in the Tour Pak itself.

Last night, I installed new head breathers and pushrod tube o-rings. I had rebuilt the breathers a couple of weeks ago using an HD rebuild kit I bought from my local dealer, and since then, she'd been puking oil out the breather bolts more than ever. Last night, I found out that the rebuild kit they sold me was for an earlier version of the breathers (see my thread in the General Chat section: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-kit-hunh.html ). While I had the rocker arm support plate out, I drilled the oil return holes out, and now she doesn't spit a drop of oil out the breather bolts.

Tonight, I will be replacing the front brake line, as it's too short fort he 16" Wild One Chubby Apes I installed a couple of weeks ago.

Whew... it seems like a lot of stuff when you type it all out, hehehe...

Cheers!
Good to read about your bike with 200k+ kms going strong! Got any pics of the new TP set-up?

Old 08-31-2017, 06:00 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Good to read about your bike with 200k+ kms going strong! Got any pics of the new TP set-up?
Not yet, because it was night time when I did the test mounting/test ride. But my OL and I are heading down to PA for the weekend, and I will be "Touring Model'ing" Reaper for the trip (Touring hard bags, Tour Pak, Mustang Wide Touring seat). I'll take a bunch of pics and post them in the forum. It'll be my first time seeing Reaper decked out this way, too!!

Cheers!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:36 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Before:

After:

With no disrespect to the rest of the world, I replaced my speedo/tach combo for the one solely dedicated to "MPH" instead of sharing the dial space with "km". Makes it seem more 'Amerikin' to me.

After installation I quickly whisked them away on a 31.1 mile trip to "get married" before they could change their mind.

Last edited by schlacker; 09-04-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:11 PM
tbplayer
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Changed my relationship status. (...put the backseat on)

BikerPepe` (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,911 Likes on 4,134 Posts

Changed my layback license plate frame to a curved layback license plate frame.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Felix 808
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Bought it... 2014 with 1900 miles & tons of upgrades
It joins my 2014 Ultra & my VTX1300R

Old 09-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix 808
Bought it... 2014 with 1900 miles & tons of upgrades
It joins my 2014 Ultra & my VTX1300R

Congrats. The smart way to buy a new to you bike.

Felix 808 (09-03-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?