Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:28 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Aww come on you pussies don't be so sensitive- this ain't the Dr Phil show. LOL (kidding, just in case this post offends any of the sensitive viewers).

Most of the time everyone is pretty cool about brotherly forum etiquette, and yeh, if you don't like something someone did it's usually better to just refrain from comment. the guy who did the upgrade to his bike loves it and that's all that really matters.

Other times well someone will give you some crap. it's a public forum so always post without expectations. lord knows I've incited my own fair amount of crap arguments on this board. And I have an Alcantara covered solo seat for Christs sake so I'm not one to talk or criticize, ever. ;p

So let's see- Did Andrews 57h cams this week, had a hell of a time tuning them in, getting closer now on the tune but still a bit unhappy. mainly because of the lack of damn clear information from typical tuning products, and tech literature on the HD Delphi EFI system. Hard to tune something right when you don't have all the facts.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:31 AM
G Dub
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS103
I have plenty of opinions. I look at this forum (this post in particular) to see what guys did to their bikes, maybe get an idea or two for my own, help a guy out when he has questions about cable lengths or wiring if I can. If a guy wants to put a full fairing on a sportster cool, not my thing but cool if he likes it. People like what they like and do what they do, it's not my place to make negative comments or question it...and I am not FOS, took a big dump this morning.
Well said FLS...

Unfortunately, I have not had the same luck with bowels.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
So let's see- Did Andrews 57h cams this week, had a hell of a time tuning them in, getting closer now on the tune but still a bit unhappy. mainly because of the lack of damn clear information from typical tuning products, and tech literature on the HD Delphi EFI system. Hard to tune something right when you don't have all the facts.
Back to our regularly scheduled work, trying to help each other out (or perhaps not, in this case! lol)

Do you have baffles? I'm thinking the add'l overlap of those cams down low, combined with no baffles, would really rob torque below 3000 rpm when those cams will start to come alive.

I admit most of my experience is with car engines but the concepts are the same - when you install bigger cams with more overlap it's a very good idea to increase SCR (static compression ratio) as you are reducing DCR (dynamic compression ratio) when you add overlap. If you can't get your engine tuned to your liking or low end torque isn't what you want, you might consider dropping in some thinner head gaskets.

Last edited by Joe_G; 04-28-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 453 Posts

I have plenty of opinions. I look at this forum (this post in particular) to see what guys did to their bikes, maybe get an idea or two for my own, help a guy out when he has questions about cable lengths or wiring if I can. If a guy wants to put a full fairing on a sportster cool, not my thing but cool if he likes it. People like what they like and do what they do, it's not my place to make negative comments or question it...and I am not FOS, took a big dump this morning.
i questioned it to see his reasoning for doing it, not to bash him. Glad your internals are working, i sometimes use activia, i'm old.

Aww come on you pussies don't be so sensitive- this ain't the Dr Phil show. LOL (kidding, just in case this post offends any of the sensitive viewers).

Most of the time everyone is pretty cool about brotherly forum etiquette, and yeh, if you don't like something someone did it's usually better to just refrain from comment. the guy who did the upgrade to his bike loves it and that's all that really matters.

Other times well someone will give you some crap. it's a public forum so always post without expectations. lord knows I've incited my own fair amount of crap arguments on this board. And I have an Alcantara covered solo seat for Christs sake so I'm not one to talk or criticize, ever. ;p

he's right, have you seen his big gay seat, lol, sorry, didn't mean to call your seat big

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-29-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
i questioned it to see his reasoning for doing it, not to bash him. Glad your internals are working, i sometimes use activia, i'm old.
I'm as regular as can be. Every morning. I eat a salad almost every day. Give that a try it works for me.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:09 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

I will look for that 57H map again, been busy riding and arguing on some forum.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:39 PM
xmen9c
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Isn't it fast enough is a comment made to insight an argument. Especially when the poster goes on to say I never touch my motors cuz I think they're fast enough...

Obviously a 107" build is pursued to make the bike more powerful or faster so asking if the current build is fast enough is redundant.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...

Old 04-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm as regular as can be. Every morning. I eat a salad almost every day. Give that a try it works for me.
i'm a vegearian already, havn't had chicken,turkey,beef or pork in 22 years. but i take some meds for diabetes that prevent the power of pooping. so i do the activia

Originally Posted by xmen9c
Isn't it fast enough is a comment made to insight an argument. Especially when the poster goes on to say I never touch my motors cuz I think they're fast enough...

Obviously a 107" build is pursued to make the bike more powerful or faster so asking if the current build is fast enough is redundant.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...
not insighting an argument, just asking why. as i always say, people rationalize everything different. what's good for one may be different for someone else. my 103 is fast enough for me but may not be for someone else.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-28-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:01 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Back to our regularly scheduled work, trying to help each other out (or perhaps not, in this case! lol)

Do you have baffles? I'm thinking the add'l overlap of those cams down low, combined with no baffles, would really rob torque below 3000 rpm when those cams will start to come alive.

I admit most of my experience is with car engines but the concepts are the same - when you install bigger cams with more overlap it's a very good idea to increase SCR (static compression ratio) as you are reducing DCR (dynamic compression ratio) when you add overlap. If you can't get your engine tuned to your liking or low end torque isn't what you want, you might consider dropping in some thinner head gaskets.
The 57H cams work well with a stock block 103, even better with a mild port and .030" head gaskets. My stock block 103 hit 100ft/lbs @ 2300 rpm with these cams and pulled hard to 5500.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:19 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

yeh I'm thinking same- but my static and dynamic are acceptable at present. really it is more of an issue with the base map tune file and having it coded correctly for ECM cam events. with my TP-based VE's it is particularly sensitive to MAP positioning. that portion of the ECM code is hidden from us however, and only those with special tools (DJ, FM etc) can access it. the first couple of "modified" base maps sent to me did not work out so well.

Originally Posted by Freak Show
he's right, have you seen his big gay seat, lol, sorry, didn't mean to call your seat big
LOL- I was going to go with the pink Alcantara but I didn't want you to get all hot and excited.

The 57H cams work well with a stock block 103, even better with a mild port and .030" head gaskets. My stock block 103 hit 100ft/lbs @ 2300 rpm with these cams and pulled hard to 5500.
yup I feel the potential is there it's just about getting the base map and tune set up correctly.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-28-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?