Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023 | 07:30 AM
ole_phart
Road Master
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Nice job on your bike, it looks great. U are correct the white walls need to go.

Love the looks, keep the whitewalls.

My 2 cents. Definitely chrome wheels. I had whitewalls on my Road King. Those things were a pain in the a$$ trying to keep 'em looking good. Those can go.

Last edited by ole_phart; 07-31-2023 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2023 | 07:52 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

@djqsrv IDK, just kind of looks like a Fatboy. What kind of condition are those wheels in?

Old 07-31-2023 | 11:32 AM
djqsrv
Novice

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
@djqsrv IDK, just kind of looks like a Fatboy. What kind of condition are those wheels in?
the wheels are ok. They would polish up pretty nice. I plan on removing the fender tips, chrome skirt and heritage badge and have the fenders clean when I get her painted.
I am going for a heritage/fat boy hybrid cruiser look. I was thinking about a smaller front fender but the bigger heritage front fender will be that last piece of heritage and needs to stay.

the new paint will be loud with lots of flake and flames so more chrome will be a nice fit. With that in mind I am thinking some nice chrome wheels. Maybe like this or a high spoke count radial laced.

I appreciate and welcome suggestions and feedback!

Old 07-31-2023 | 03:45 PM
Muskrat21
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cockle

91 FXSTS
I inherited this softail only a few months ago and since bringing it back to life it quickly decided it wasn't happy, , let the headaches begin.

So there was no spark to the front cylinder, and after abit of seaching I found the DynaTek DS6-2 which my uncle had installed was burnt out, I replaced like for like, still no spark, discovered the Coil was also unhappy so replaced like for like (Doss Single Fire Coil 12V, 3 OHM), STILL NO SPARK. So my father and I attempted to trace lines in what can only be described as a birds nest of cables but with very little joy. The writing was on the wall, a new loom was required - if only just to gaurentee the fire risk was removed . Ive gathered all my bits together getting ready to start the loom but I have two questions if anyone fancies throwing their hand in. Apologies if these are real dumb questions - consider me an apprentice
  1. the ignition sensor mentioned above goes straight to the coil which has two white cables attached at the centre, 1 to switched ignition and 1 to the ECM - Do I need the ECM or is it pretty much redundant?
  2. VOES - is this redundant also?
G'day Cockle.
I'm no expert, probably an apprentice too, and I hate electrickery!
I doubt your carb'd 91 would have had an ECM but would definitely had a voes (it retards the timing with quick throttle opening under load). Do you have 1 coil or 2?
Cheers

Old 07-31-2023 | 04:46 PM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member

Last week new motor an transmission shimmed aligned and torqued.

This week Risers, hand controls and wiring Hanes fed through new handlebars.

Today worked on Wheel bearing spacing, shocks set and installed.

Last edited by Rains2much; 07-31-2023 at 04:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rains2much:
BikerPepe` (08-01-2023), mercury01 (09-04-2023)
Old 07-31-2023 | 04:54 PM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member

Waiting on dumb stuf……..
wheel bearing top hat spacers that go against the timkin… none came in the brand new wheel with packed barrings… zero end play on them. Always check end play on new wheels.

waiting on little clutch cable gasket o ring at housing. Waiting on new rotors.. new ones I received were warped and had to be sent back. Waiting on new snap ring pliers.. I have four pair and everyone is just plain worn out over the years.

Waiting on third starter.. 2.4 was too big and didn’t clear the swing arm. Two 1.75 were ordered and both later notified me they were out of stock.

Last edited by Rains2much; 07-31-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2023 | 07:34 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djqsrv
the wheels are ok. They would polish up pretty nice. I plan on removing the fender tips, chrome skirt and heritage badge and have the fenders clean when I get her painted.
I am going for a heritage/fat boy hybrid cruiser look. I was thinking about a smaller front fender but the bigger heritage front fender will be that last piece of heritage and needs to stay.

the new paint will be loud with lots of flake and flames so more chrome will be a nice fit. With that in mind I am thinking some nice chrome wheels. Maybe like this or a high spoke count radial laced.

I appreciate and welcome suggestions and feedback!

I had a 48 spoke large diameter rim like the third one you have there, was a real pain-*** to keep clean. Finally rush set in and I took it off and I went with some CNC machine black anodized rims from Southern Motorcycle Works.. Have them about 7 years now without a single issue and easy to clean... I like that first RAM that's nice similar to five spoke setup and easier to clean... I'll try to post up a pic tomorrow..

https://www.southernmachinewheels.co...astwheels.html

Old 08-01-2023 | 07:16 PM
Fiachra
Road Captain

On a much lesser note, I put on a pair of grip sleeves to rid myself of the now sticky feeling. No more sticky -is good.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fiachra:
Clammy (08-01-2023), YZR (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023 | 10:44 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fiachra
On a much lesser note, I put on a pair of grip sleeves to rid myself of the now sticky feeling. No more sticky -is good.
Please tell me about these sleeves.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Fiachra (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 03:28 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Clammy
Please tell me about these sleeves.

Cheers!
Looks like Grip Puppies or the like

The following 2 users liked this post by FLSTC-Dave:
Fiachra (08-02-2023), MoneyFor (08-02-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?