Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 03:56 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_Salty
oops...
Hehhehh! Yeah turnsignal, not horn button.

Here's a video of what I'm referring to, but this is on a M8, twincams are harder...
Also, I already have accessory lights that are activated by a manual switch, so
I dont need this 'extra' switch for those....

thanks!

T.

Old 07-30-2022, 04:26 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Took it back apart. Getting the new wheel instal lists for the correct year installed and the tires flipped from the solids to the spokes. They’re doing the bearing for free so I figured why should I bother. Can’t wait to get them on. Also installing the Progressive drop kit.

The following users liked this post:
Bluffsguy (08-14-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 12:36 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,936 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Went to pick up my freshly painted tins and custom bags today. Long, insanely frustrating story short... the paint job was not good and they dropped the fuel tank on the concrete floor, while I was driving to town to pick them all up. Put a big *** goose egg right into the front, left, rounded corner of the tank. Turns out, the tank is now rated as "obsolete" and the local dealership's snot-nosed counter brat all but laughed in my face when I went down to ask about a replacement. Spent the last 5 hours combing the web and the best I can come up with is an aftermarket knock-off that doesn't even allow for the new fuel gauge/battery meter I have had sitting around for months, waiting to install... that literally got this whole ball rolling. FML!

Old 07-31-2022, 12:46 AM
Capt_Salty
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

BikerPepe: Damn! That really sux! sounds like the crew must have been sniffing too many paint fumes?
Is there no way the ding can't be pulled out? Hope you find a good solution soon.

BikerPepe` (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 05:07 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 905 Likes on 587 Posts

@BikerPepe` Yea that certainly does suck. Seems to be getting harder and harder to find parts, not to mention HD seems to be discontinuing stuff left and right. Good luck.

BikerPepe` (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 05:26 AM
ThunderTruck
Tourer
Received 315 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_Salty
BikerPepe: Damn! That really sux! sounds like the crew must have been sniffing too many paint fumes?
Is there no way the ding can't be pulled out? Hope you find a good solution soon.
So sorry to hear, like Captian Salty mentioned they have some pretty talented dent pulling folks who can hopefully help out.

BikerPepe` (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 11:18 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,936 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Guy who put the dent in, tried to stick a ratchet wrench in the tank hole and beat it back out. Could have saved it with a weld tab type pop-out but now that it's beat, it will require filler at best and that means the first rock to bounce up off the road and chip that spot will likely crack far worse than a popped out dent repair. No idea how bad he chipped up the interior coating at this point. Not to mention... he wet sanded with reckless abandon and the tank is pretty nasty with surface rust, inside the insert holes but more importantly inside the tank itself. For all the time and expense to repair it, as is... I can buy an aftermarket replacement, assuming I can find one in stock somewhere. Found one listed on eBay but I'm checking with the seller to verify it's actually in stock and not just a drop-ship listing, that will end up being a waste of time, since JP Cycle and Dennis Kirk both list the same tank as back ordered or not avail.

Went from hoping to re-assemble and ride by the end of the week to possibly missing out on the whole season. It is what it is. Appreciate the kind words though. Very frustrating.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:11 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Damn! Nothing like turning an "oops..." in to a total disaster!
Have you checked around local shops for a salvage tank that could work while you wait for a proper replacement?

Old 07-31-2022, 03:47 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 255 Likes on 177 Posts

That sucks BikerPepe' ... before they started beating on it they shoud have reached out to a paint-less dent removal guy to get it taken care of.

Capt_Salty (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 04:19 PM
Mechanicus
Stage III
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys!

Have had bad summer with my softie. Blown gasket from front cylinder last week. So today i have to tear down whole engine. Cylinders needs 0.10" over and new pistons. Oil pump needs new gaskets, oil lines has to be change and some more new parts. And like best weather for riding is coming

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?