Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 02:50 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,191 Likes on 1,130 Posts

put my new Lepera seat on my springer

The following 7 users liked this post by Mallard Slayer:
04FXDI (07-25-2022), Bopple Hill Rd (07-25-2022), duffy8540 (07-24-2022), hattitude (07-24-2022), Morish (07-27-2022), wombat457 (07-23-2022), Zakk13 (11-28-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-23-2022, 03:17 PM
ThunderTruck
Tourer
Received 315 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by DAHoyle
ThunderTruck,

Would you share the specifics of your front forks/brakes/wheel. Dual discs are way up on the list of mods/improvements I wish to accomplish. Yours is a very clean setup. I can see that you used a lot of PM Touring components. Can't really tell about the wheels. Are those modified Fatboy rims or something custom? How did you handle the spacing? Anything you can share would be helpful.
The wheels I spent the most rime thinking about, if I should go twin 18's or an 18" & 21", I settled on keeping 16's front and rear and happy with the look and feel.
​​The rims are Ulitma billet rims. I always liked the solid Rim look of the Fatboy.
I did use PM for most components, good quality but not everything bolts together without issues LOL.
The PM lowers fit perfectly but the Ultima spacers all need to be measured and machined. The PM axle needed maching also. More time consuming then anything but I really appreciated the skill set of the mechanic because once done it's perfectly centered.
Patience will be the key.
The braided brake lines were all fitted once everything was mocked to keep things clean and tight.
Going from 11" to 13" and from single to dual discs was amazing. One or two fingers will haul her down like hitting a wall LOL.
The Fender spacers were ordered a couple times to get the right fit, again slow but worth it in the end.
Feel free to message if you need any info, if I don't have it I'll ask the mechanic.

The following 2 users liked this post by ThunderTruck:
Capt_Salty (07-23-2022), krvnrch (08-15-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 06:39 AM
Sarge Fatboy
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds great duffy, got a few questions for ya...
How many miles? upgrade parts list? costs?
Thinking it's time to get the infamous "cam work" done on my 03 Fatboy and looking to get the most bang for my buck...improve performance as much as possible without totally breaking the bank. I like my indy guys and they say while we are there we should upgrade a bit, which will run me close to 1500 parts plus tax and bout 700 labor to include (please forgive me as I don't understand all the parts, work and such so might have some of this wrong but as far as I can describe what indy said):
Cam plate, oil pump, hydraulic units, s&s quickee pushrods, cam spacer-to sprocket, new bearings, inner cam bearing inner case bearings, cam itself.......

Old 07-24-2022, 11:59 AM
duffy8540
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG7680
How many miles on that motor?
A tad over 26K...............when we first talked about it he figured I would be good for the rest of the summer and then do the upgrade over the winter. Now I'm glad I was a "nervous nelly". Saved myself some grief.

The following users liked this post:
Sarge Fatboy (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 12:14 PM
duffy8540
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge Fatboy
Sounds great duffy, got a few questions for ya...
How many miles? upgrade parts list? costs?
Thinking it's time to get the infamous "cam work" done on my 03 Fatboy and looking to get the most bang for my buck...improve performance as much as possible without totally breaking the bank. I like my indy guys and they say while we are there we should upgrade a bit, which will run me close to 1500 parts plus tax and bout 700 labor to include (please forgive me as I don't understand all the parts, work and such so might have some of this wrong but as far as I can describe what indy said):
Cam plate, oil pump, hydraulic units, s&s quickee pushrods, cam spacer-to sprocket, new bearings, inner cam bearing inner case bearings, cam itself.......

26K............he's going to use the 07' HD parts kit and S&S cams (basically the same parts list as you listed & cams come with the new inner and outer bearings). Fueling lifters and adjustable push rods. He found some good prices through Dennis Kirk. He figures the parts should be around $1200-$1500 tops. His labor cost is $40 an hour (he's a 30 year retired certified HD tech who needs to keep busy) and he said about 5 hours to do the job. We're both figuring around $1800 for the entire job. He thinks the parts will be in by Wednesday and he can have me riding again by the weekend. I won't hold my breath but still hoping he's accurate. My bike already has the Stage 1 so the cams will make Stage 2 and I'm so old I don't think I'll need Stage 3.

Sarge Fatboy (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 02:02 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by duffy8540
26K............he's going to use the 07' HD parts kit and S&S cams (basically the same parts list as you listed & cams come with the new inner and outer bearings). Fueling lifters and adjustable push rods. He found some good prices through Dennis Kirk. He figures the parts should be around $1200-$1500 tops. His labor cost is $40 an hour (he's a 30 year retired certified HD tech who needs to keep busy) and he said about 5 hours to do the job. We're both figuring around $1800 for the entire job. He thinks the parts will be in by Wednesday and he can have me riding again by the weekend. I won't hold my breath but still hoping he's accurate. My bike already has the Stage 1 so the cams will make Stage 2 and I'm so old I don't think I'll need Stage 3.
That’s cool. Is the bike carbed or injected? Guy at work just paid a guy to put 509 cams in his 04 RK with a carb. Seems he didn’t rejet the carb. Stalls on idle. I’m considering cams for my Fatboy it’s on 02. But I need to pull it apart and see what’s doing in there. It’s don’t pull like a stock 88. And my other ride is a stage 2 114 in my sig. so I’m used to a good pulling bike. This 88 seems to do better than it should. It’s only got 17k on it. I just picked it up not long ago.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:56 PM
Gunrunr
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderTruck
The finish line is getting so close. Timing cover installed, just need some Matt black paint to tie the engine colour with the eye sockets and background.

Wow! Where did you get that cover from? I never considered changing mine but that looks bad ***!

Old 07-24-2022, 11:29 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by duffy8540
Damn!!! As much as I love my home state of Florida, I am really jealous of that labor fee!

duffy8540 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 04:33 AM
ThunderTruck
Tourer
Received 315 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrunr
Wow! Where did you get that cover from? I never considered changing mine but that looks bad ***!
There's a guy on Facebook and Instagram (probably others but I can only follow so much LOL) called "Tony the Engraver'.
Originally from the UK but now in Spain, he does commission work and short runs.
I just watched his videos of a skull breather setup where the jaw operated with the throttle.
Very talented. Price is in Euro's and shipping was fast and reasonable.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:17 AM
Sarge Fatboy
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just over 23k on my Fatboy so my plan is to do it over the winter. Thanks duffy!

duffy8540 (07-25-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?