Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Firefighter0763
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tank console came in today!!
Flush mount axle due in Thursday!
Off Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Perfect timing!!
Tank console will go on first since it's already here and I feel comfortable doing this mod.
Axle hopefully I can do Thursday but have no idea what I'm doing or what all is involved.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Firefighter0763
Axle hopefully I can do Thursday but have no idea what I'm doing or what all is involved.
Lift front wheel off the ground. Remove the axle. Roll the wheel out of the way. Install threaded side of new axle. Roll wheel back in place. Put new axle in. Put bike down. Drink beer.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:10 PM
GunPilot
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great bikes out there, I just bought a 14 vivid black breakout. Getting some great ideas for upgrades. Wanna leave the stock pipes but not happy with the sound. Considering removing baffles and doing the big city thunder baffles. To remove stock baffles, do u just have to drill out the rivets on the rear of the exhaust?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Firefighter0763
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GunPilot
Great bikes out there, I just bought a 14 vivid black breakout. Getting some great ideas for upgrades. Wanna leave the stock pipes but not happy with the sound. Considering removing baffles and doing the big city thunder baffles. To remove stock baffles, do u just have to drill out the rivets on the rear of the exhaust?
You are correct sir.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM
GunPilot
Stage II

Thanks, sounds easy enough. Beer and tools what can go wrong.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM
NAME CHANGE REQUIRED
Advanced

Originally Posted by KC1976
So after having gotten my permit last December, looking at pics/videos of the Breakout daily over the last year, and dropping in several times at the dealer to admire and sit on that gorgeous work of art over the last few months (the Breakout is the reason I decided to get my permit in the first place!), I have FINALLY built up the courage and freed up the agenda to book one for a full day of test riding this coming Saturday.

Not having ridden at all anymore since December, never having ridden an HD, and only having experienced the 600cc Kawasaki from the riding school is resulting in a fair bit of nervosity, although I am equally as excited. A friend is tagging along with his Street Bob for the first few hours, which will likely make me feel more at ease...

Any tips for me as this will be my first HD experience?

Also, I am thinking/hoping that this day will only increase my love for this bike, and I will be wanting to go for one. Anyone know when the new models/colors will be made public and will be posted on the HD website?

Thanks!!!
Congrats dude and it sounds like your head is already in the right place. I grew up riding BMX and dirtbikes so the transition to the street wasn't too painful; however, my skills quadrupled when I took to the racetrack. Now, I'm not saying you have to join your local racing club, but picking up Keith Codes 'Twist of the Wrist' series will spoon feed years of knowledge into your dome rather than learning via the painful process of trial and error over the next 10 years. If you can afford to attend a formal track day course I highly advise it. I don't care if you ride a moped to work. The skills you'll learn on the track transfer over to any two wheel platform. Everything that LA DOG said is right on the money...even though I don't check my oil and tire pressure before every ride.

Also, check out this article when you get a chance. It's geared more towards the sportbike crowd but the concept still applies. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...nick_ienatsch/

Good luck and congrats!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by GunPilot
Thanks, sounds easy enough. Beer and tools what can go wrong.
Sufficient beer consumed BEFORE end of job can complicate things . . .

Jim G

Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Has anyone found an analog oil temp gauge that fits the Breakout tank? The HD gauge/dipstick doesn't fit the BO tank, even though it's listed as fitting softails.

Last edited by NSR; 07-09-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:06 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Its been posted earlier that the Dunlop Elite 3 250/40 VR-18 Rear tire will fit the Breakout without modifications.

Does anyone know if the Dunlop Elite 3 120/70 VR-21 tire will fit the front rim/fender without mods?

Thanx

Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Its been posted earlier that the Dunlop Elite 3 250/40 VR-18 Rear tire will fit the Breakout without modifications.

Does anyone know if the Dunlop Elite 3 120/70 VR-21 tire will fit the front rim/fender without mods?

Thanx
The front tire you are considering is narrower than the stock front tire (120 vs 130 mm). And the rear tire is of course wider (250 vs 240). The change will therefore accentuate the difference between front and rear tire width, which will make the bike notably harder to lean into a turn. Is this what you want?

I rode a Victory Ness edition which had a narrow front tire and the 240 rear, and it took notably more effort to turn than the stock Breakout. Naturally, there are probably other differences in the bike geometries, etc, but man, it was notably harder to turn.

Jim G

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread