Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Firefighter0763
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24v
They do, this one has black caps. The image shows both, but it comes with black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FBI-FAT-BAGG...cda9e0&vxp=mtr

Also, I don't know these ebay sellers, just grabbing links to give you guys examples.
ORDERED the chrome one from your first link.
already shipped. should be here by thursday.
I was impressed with the speed of shipping.
Wished I would've looked futher into it and found the black one first though.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
jpl5007
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
They do, this one has black caps. The image shows both, but it comes with black.
Be careful...went to that link and it says this: "AXLE FOR SALE IN THIS AUCTION IS CHROME"

So it looks like the actual axle is chrome, but the end caps are black.

Found this one, all black (and pricey!):

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/307-800#!

Last edited by jpl5007; 07-06-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Firefighter0763
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpl5007
Be careful...went to that link and it says this: "AXLE FOR SALE IN THIS AUCTION IS CHROME"

Is there a difference from the 2013 non CVO Breakout and the 2014 non CVO Breakout when it comes to the front end??
This website says that this axle will NOT FIT a 2013 Breakout but WILL fit a 2014.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 AM
KC1976
Novice
Default First Breakout (and HD!) Experience coming up!

So after having gotten my permit last December, looking at pics/videos of the Breakout daily over the last year, and dropping in several times at the dealer to admire and sit on that gorgeous work of art over the last few months (the Breakout is the reason I decided to get my permit in the first place!), I have FINALLY built up the courage and freed up the agenda to book one for a full day of test riding this coming Saturday.

Not having ridden at all anymore since December, never having ridden an HD, and only having experienced the 600cc Kawasaki from the riding school is resulting in a fair bit of nervosity, although I am equally as excited. A friend is tagging along with his Street Bob for the first few hours, which will likely make me feel more at ease...

Any tips for me as this will be my first HD experience?

Also, I am thinking/hoping that this day will only increase my love for this bike, and I will be wanting to go for one. Anyone know when the new models/colors will be made public and will be posted on the HD website?

Thanks!!!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:26 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jpl5007

Who cares if the axle is chrome? The only part of it you see is the end caps. Keep it simple people.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firefighter0763
Is there a difference from the 2013 non CVO Breakout and the 2014 non CVO Breakout when it comes to the front end??
This website says that this axle will NOT FIT a 2013 Breakout but WILL fit a 2014.
There is no difference in the axle between 2013 and 2014. Buy one of the ones I posted, ignore the overpriced link for jpcycles.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by KC1976
So after having gotten my permit last December, looking at pics/videos of the Breakout daily over the last year, and dropping in several times at the dealer to admire and sit on that gorgeous work of art over the last few months (the Breakout is the reason I decided to get my permit in the first place!), I have FINALLY built up the courage and freed up the agenda to book one for a full day of test riding this coming Saturday.

Not having ridden at all anymore since December, never having ridden an HD, and only having experienced the 600cc Kawasaki from the riding school is resulting in a fair bit of nervosity, although I am equally as excited. A friend is tagging along with his Street Bob for the first few hours, which will likely make me feel more at ease...

Also, I am thinking/hoping that this day will only increase my love for this bike, and I will be wanting to go for one. Anyone know when the new models/colors will be made public and will be posted on the HD website?

Thanks!!!
Welcome and congrats.. that's funny, reding your post brought back memory of buying my first "real" motorcycle, a Kawasaki KZ550 all blacked out. Was 17 and had only ridden dirt bikes and a really beat up Yamaha DT 90 enduro.

Needless to say, the power of that 4 stroke 550 really felt unnerving, that and actually riding out on the larger roads / freeway. But oh what fun.

Biggest tip I can give you if you want to ride safe and ride well- regardless of whether it is an HD or sport bike - go take a race school class. e.g. go to a race track and spend a week on an advanced riding course. It will teach you further fundamentals of how to ride like a pro, proper cornering, braking, emergency situations, etc, and train yourself to ingrain good riding habits especially at higher speeds. Sounds like you went to a school already, and that was probably just a basic general riding class. which is ok, mind you, but a race class really forces you to sink a lot of good stuff in, even though you don't plan to become a track racer. It will help you in all aspects of riding.

Ultra-important- Learn to read the road and everything on it 1-2 blocks ahead of you, directly next to you and immediately behind you. this will save your @$$ more times than you'll know. The road is your chessboard. You should learn to anticipate how cars and anything else ahead of you will probably move, and how you are going to move with it (or away from it).

Ride offensively. Defensively means you are trying to avoid situations. Offensively means you are always gauging the road and riding so that you eliminate situations entirely. Being able to "map out" the road 1-2 blocks ahead should become second nature.

Don't ever expect to be seen by drivers. Don't ever rely on your turn signals, brake lights and horn. ever, ever ever. Sure, use them if you got em, but there is NO substitute for looking over your shoulder before lane change, glancing rear view before hitting brakes, and making sure oncoming is out of your way before turning across oncoming traffic. Always assume you are invisible and that every 4-wheeled vehicle driver around you is a complete retard.

Don't drop your bike in the parking lot. It's expensive. LOL. Just about every new rider does it one time or another, and it is always at a slow roll to stop like parking the bike.

Check your tire pressures and oil before every ride.
Make sure the suspension is set correctly for your weight. It probably will not be when you pick it up at HD. Info is in the owner's manual and you'll need a $15 rear shock adjustment wrench from HD.

The brakes and suspension on the Breakout are a bit weak in the performance department. give yourself some added braking distance and don't hit the front brakes hard coming into a corner. get most of your braking done before the corner and then let off a bit into turn, tapping rear brake if needed, then accellerate out of corner. the Breakout has a bit of "nose dive" and braking hard in the corner will compress the front forks, causing your pegs to touch sooner in a lean.

Have lots of fun and post some pics- Very nice bike you chose

The following users liked this post:
Kidmandudebro (11-02-2023)
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FBI-FAT-BAGG...cda9e0&vxp=mtr

Also, I don't know these ebay sellers, just grabbing links to give you guys examples.

Cool- thanks. say what does it do for the bolt side? is the axle clamp bolt eliminated, and it only relies on the end of fork alans to secure the axle?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

Originally Posted by KC1976

Thanks!!!

Ride like you are invisible.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:33 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Cool- thanks. say what does it do for the bolt side? is the axle clamp bolt eliminated, and it only relies on the end of fork alans to secure the axle?
No. The left side of the fork has a threaded smooth cap that gets pulled into the fork leg with either the axle, or some kits come with a bolt and washer for this. Then the axle itself has a hex head, and it ends up recessed in the right fork leg. Then you press the o-ringed smooth cap into that side, and last tighten the allan bolts holding the lower cap that pinches the axle.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread