Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect example of how rare doesn't mean better. Rare, yes....worth more, no

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Since the only original option package for the "early" 2013 Breakout was the Security Package, which included ABS, it's possible that yours is a late '13 model when they were changing the options for 2014. Yours is probably pretty rare for a '13. (I ordered mine in late April '13)

Old 06-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone added cruise to a non-CVO ?

Dealer thinks it is possible, but was hedging a bit, and I would be the first for them...

I use cruise a lot, so I would want it if possible.

Anyone??

Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 2807
Has anyone added cruise to a non-CVO ?

Dealer thinks it is possible, but was hedging a bit, and I would be the first for them...

I use cruise a lot, so I would want it if possible.

Anyone??
IF there is a cruise solution, it's not likely to be the CVO factory cruise control. That's because the CVO has an electronic throttle control ("ETC" or "fly by wire") instead of a cable throttle like the base Breakout does.

That means the activation of the cruise control is electronic by the ECU, instead of mechanical. Electronic throttle control is the method used on every modern car I know of. When you activate the cruise control on an ETC system, you are NOT doing anything "mechanical". Instead, you are sending a software line of code to the ECU that says basically "adjust the throttle opening continuously to keep the signal from the vehicle speed sensor at the current road speed". The ECU sends a signal to an electric control that adjust the throttle opening.

Your base Breakout does not have the electric control, nor is its ECU equipped to generate the necessary signals.

Electric throttle control is pretty neat. It enables the factory, or you (via aftermarket software) to adjust the electronics via software, to change the effect that a throttle hand movement produces at the engine. For example, you can make a 1/4 inch turn of the throttle grip result in anything from 10% throttle to 70% throttle if you knew what software field to change. Manufacturers use this ability to provide "rain", "street" and "race" throttle curves, that are progressively more aggressive.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 06-22-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
IF there is a cruise solution, it's not likely to be the CVO factory cruise control. That's because the CVO has an electronic throttle control ("ETC" or "fly by wire") instead of a cable throttle like the base Breakout does.

That means the activation of the cruise control is electronic by the ECU, instead of mechanical. Electronic throttle control is the method used on every modern car I know of. When you activate the cruise control on an ETC system, you are NOT doing anything "mechanical". Instead, you are sending a software line of code to the ECU that says basically "adjust the throttle opening continuously to keep the signal from the vehicle speed sensor at the current road speed". The ECU sends a signal to an electric control that adjust the throttle opening.

Your base Breakout does not have the electric control, nor is its ECU equipped to generate the necessary signals.

Electric throttle control is pretty neat. It enables the factory, or you (via aftermarket software) to adjust the electronics via software, to change the effect that a throttle hand movement produces at the engine. For example, you can make a 1/4 inch turn of the throttle grip result in anything from 10% throttle to 70% throttle if you knew what software field to change. Manufacturers use this ability to provide "rain", "street" and "race" throttle curves, that are progressively more aggressive.

Jim G
Thank you! They believed it could be done, and would be around $1200-1500. Does that sound like they would switch me to fly by wire? Is that even possible?

Looks like I will need more research. Thanks

Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They aren't switching you to electronic throttle control for $1200.

Look at throttle locks or cruisemount.com

Thank you! They believed it could be done, and would be around $1200-1500. Does that sound like they would switch me to fly by wire? Is that even possible?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:12 PM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to the parts guy at a dealer here in dallas about it.you do have to switch to fly by wire,and all the parts were 1200, thats what he told me anyway.id love to have cruse but thats pricy,maby later

Old 06-23-2014, 07:37 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

You'd better find out EXACTLY what they plan to do before you agree to their doing it.

To reproduce the fly by wire system of the CVO, they would need to add or replace all of the following:

- Electronic throttle grip assembly versus cable grip assembly
- Wiring run from ECU to electronic throttle grip assembly
- Electronic versus mechanical throttle control on intake manifold
- Wiring from ECU to new electronic throttle control on intake manifold
- New software for ECU (assuming your existing ECU can accept it)
- New custom tune (since the CVO software is coded for a 110 versus 103 engine, AND the electronic throttle intake assembly is different in size than on the 103 I think)
-etc
-etc

This is totally unrealistic for a local HD dealership to do.

And, even if they somehow managed to do it, and you had the $$$ to pay for it (WAY more than $1200 to $1500), you'd then have a non-standard bike that would make future diagnostics "challenging" for an HD technician, especially one at a dealership that did not do the work, and therefore doesn't get what was done.

Like another poster has suggested, look for a different cruise control solution. I'm very serious.

Jim G

Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Road Captain

Originally Posted by asputin
I talked to the parts guy at a dealer here in dallas about it.you do have to switch to fly by wire,and all the parts were 1200, thats what he told me anyway.id love to have cruse but thats pricy,maby later
OP here.

Hey, cool. I will find out more too. They talked about all this stuff, but I was not fully listening because I was sitting on the bike and trying not to impulse buy...

The salesman and the parts boss were discussing it for me. All I wanted to know was: Can it be done, clean, with warranty. They believed so, and said figure about $1500.

Glad I came here to ask around. Now, when I go back, I will be ready to look into it deeper.

Thanks folks.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
You'd better find out EXACTLY what they plan to do before you agree to their doing it.

To reproduce the fly by wire system of the CVO, they would need to add or replace all of the following:

- Electronic throttle grip assembly versus cable grip assembly
- Wiring run from ECU to electronic throttle grip assembly
- Electronic versus mechanical throttle control on intake manifold
- Wiring from ECU to new electronic throttle control on intake manifold
- New software for ECU (assuming your existing ECU can accept it)
- New custom tune (since the CVO software is coded for a 110 versus 103 engine, AND the electronic throttle intake assembly is different in size than on the 103 I think)
-etc
-etc

This is totally unrealistic for a local HD dealership to do.

And, even if they somehow managed to do it, and you had the $$$ to pay for it (WAY more than $1200 to $1500), you'd then have a non-standard bike that would make future diagnostics "challenging" for an HD technician, especially one at a dealership that did not do the work, and therefore doesn't get what was done.

Like another poster has suggested, look for a different cruise control solution. I'm very serious.

Jim G
Thank you for this !

I will bring this with me when I go back !

Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Very interested in this as I'd love cruise on the BO. Even considered going for a CVO to get it (despite preferring the non-CVO colour options) but discovered they are on a long waiting list in the UK.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread