Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM
NAME CHANGE REQUIRED
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Msmall
Just a quick note for anyone looking at the ginz sissy bar. These guys are good to work with and seem to stand behind their product.

That said the part with where the sissy bar(the actual bar) meets the bracket where it then mounts needs to be pushed back further.

The way it is currently made actually eliminates a portion of the passenger pillion for a passenger to sit own and forces them onto the front rider.

My wife is tiny, 5'6 115 lb's and she cant fit comfortable on the bike with the position of the sissy bar. It just forces her to far forward

I'm going to try and work with ginz on this. if they wont do it i'll have to fabricate somethign myself or have a machien shop do it. On the bracket tehy use there is room to move the bar back around 1.5- 2 inches which would be perfect.

If you push the location where the bar meets the brackets back its a perfect sissy bar
I ordered a sissy bar from Ginz this week. Super nice guy and even talked me out of spending more money for the quick release set-up. For the Breakout he recommended at least an 18" bar. He recommends the longer bar because of our wide fenders. He said anything shorter looks strange so I took his word for it even though I was looking for a shorter set-up. I'm not stoked to hear about how forward the bar is. Hopefully he comes up with a solution otherwise I may have to send mine back.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i talked with him about your order. Mine is quick detach. I didnt realize when i ordered but it was the first they did for a BO. Quick detach was a must for me because i only use it with the wife.

It shouldnt be a hard adjustment for them to make. it may just take some time. I'm gonna give him a call. If they cant do it i will take the current bracket to a machine shop and have them duplicate it with the mounting bracket further back. Really all it is is moving 2 small holes back. the problem with the current bracket is that they cut out the part where you would relocate the holes if you wanted to do it on your own.

Originally Posted by NOFUKS2GIVE
I ordered a sissy bar from Ginz this week. Super nice guy and even talked me out of spending more money for the quick release set-up. For the Breakout he recommended at least an 18" bar. He recommends the longer bar because of our wide fenders. He said anything shorter looks strange so I took his word for it even though I was looking for a shorter set-up. I'm not stoked to hear about how forward the bar is. Hopefully he comes up with a solution otherwise I may have to send mine back.

Last edited by Msmall; 06-19-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:43 PM
jwellsNZ
Stage III

after seeing these bikes below i gotta lower mine, whats the best shock to have as i need to be able to lift it easily when riding with the cook on the back

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-photo-1.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-photo-3.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Nice ride jwells. I like that flat blue.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:29 PM
NAME CHANGE REQUIRED
Advanced

Originally Posted by Msmall
I think i talked with him about your order. Mine is quick detach. I didnt realize when i ordered but it was the first they did for a BO. Quick detach was a must for me because i only use it with the wife.

It shouldnt be a hard adjustment for them to make. it may just take some time. I'm gonna give him a call. If they cant do it i will take the current bracket to a machine shop and have them duplicate it with the mounting bracket further back. Really all it is is moving 2 small holes back. the problem with the current bracket is that they cut out the part where you would relocate the holes if you wanted to do it on your own.
That's exactly why I initially wanted the quick disconnect. Ginz said it's more or less pointless because the regular bracket is very easy to remove/replace. Mine isn't scheduled to be built until July 7th so hopefully he'll make the adjustment. Please keep us posted.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:31 PM
NAME CHANGE REQUIRED
Advanced

Originally Posted by jwellsNZ
after seeing these bikes below i gotta lower mine, whats the best shock to have as i need to be able to lift it easily when riding with the cook on the back
Nice ride. I think the general consensus is Shotgun shocks. I ordered mine on Tuesday. JD was super cool and easy to work with. He still offers HDForums members a discount.

http://www.shotgunshock.com/

Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

hey all- I'm looking to swap out my hand levers for some black ones. non-ABS BO. is there a "range" of levers that will fit, say anything for 07-2012 FXS, FXD, XL? or was there a change in 2013? Reason is most of the listings I see for FXS lever sets is like up to 2012.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 AM
harty
Intermediate

After the recent discussion on sissy bars for the breakout, I thought I would share my latest addition to make my wife happier on the back. A very easy modification to make a good comfy different option for the breakout. Credit goes to a couple of fellas on this forum who have done similar mods.

1. Bought a 1 piece detachable sissy bar designed for a Fatboy(52729-08), matching backrest(52631-07), sundowner pillion seat(52400066) and breakout docking kit(52300239).

As it is designed for a 200mm rear it needs to be widened to fit 240mm rear. Also the stock position for the back rest bar is too low as the sundowner pillion seat is quite a bit thicker than the standard seat.

2. Cut off back rest cross bar with grinder, that makes it quite easy to spread the bar to fit on the docking hardware perfectly. I just sat on the ground and put my feet on one side and pulled it open to the correct fit. With a little fine tuning it is a perfect fit.

3. Attached bar to bike and got my wife to sit on the back to position the height of the pad perfectly, then marked new position of the back rest bar. I did have to shorten the back rest bar about 5mm each end due to the higher mount position. Welded(made of carbon steel) the back rest bar into place, quick sand to clean it up and re-painted bar. Attached back rest and mount onto bike. Job done.

I think it has come up looking pretty good and more importantly the wife loves it and says it is loads better than the stock seat. The sundowner pillion seat is also quite a bit wider than the stock one. Very quick & easy to throw it on when ever she comes for a ride.

Now I just need to get the fender struts and indicators powdercoated black to match.

Cheers
Harty

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-20140620_155547.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-20140620_155559-0-.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-20140620_155611.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 07:09 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by harty
After the recent discussion on sissy bars for the breakout, I thought I would share my latest addition to make my wife happier on the back. A very easy modification to make a good comfy different option for the breakout. Credit goes to a couple of fellas on this forum who have done similar mods.

1. Bought a 1 piece detachable sissy bar designed for a Fatboy(52729-08), matching backrest(52631-07), sundowner pillion seat(52400066) and breakout docking kit(52300239).

As it is designed for a 200mm rear it needs to be widened to fit 240mm rear. Also the stock position for the back rest bar is too low as the sundowner pillion seat is quite a bit thicker than the standard seat.

2. Cut off back rest cross bar with grinder, that makes it quite easy to spread the bar to fit on the docking hardware perfectly. I just sat on the ground and put my feet on one side and pulled it open to the correct fit. With a little fine tuning it is a perfect fit.

3. Attached bar to bike and got my wife to sit on the back to position the height of the pad perfectly, then marked new position of the back rest bar. I did have to shorten the back rest bar about 5mm each end due to the higher mount position. Welded(made of carbon steel) the back rest bar into place, quick sand to clean it up and re-painted bar. Attached back rest and mount onto bike. Job done.

I think it has come up looking pretty good and more importantly the wife loves it and says it is loads better than the stock seat. The sundowner pillion seat is also quite a bit wider than the stock one. Very quick & easy to throw it on when ever she comes for a ride.

Now I just need to get the fender struts and indicators powdercoated black to match.

Cheers
Harty
Well done Harty- thanks for posting. What did the cost of parts set you back for the bar, brackets and bar pad (not including the pillon seat)?

Your setup looks very similar to one I've seen on ebay, except the mount tabs fit between the struts and fender- not quick release though, obviously..

Nice job on the welds. you would not want to see mine. lol

Here's the one on ebay in case anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...483087&vxp=mtr

Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 AM
harty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Well done Harty- thanks for posting. What did the cost of parts set you back for the bar, brackets and bar pad (not including the pillon seat)?

Your setup looks very similar to one I've seen on ebay, except the mount tabs fit between the struts and fender- not quick release though, obviously..

Nice job on the welds. you would not want to see mine. lol
Cheers mate. Total for bar, pad and docking kit was about AU$330 so about US$310. Did the welding with a Tig welder so I could keep it very neat. I had seen that one on ebay but I definitely wanted a quick detachable setup.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread