Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackjr
Has anyone done any major engine work on their breakout? I'll be calling Jamie over at FM and starting the beginning process of figuring costs for their 107" kit. I'm also going to have them port the heads and looking at either the TW 777 or 888 cams (haven't decided which yet until I talk to Jamie). Upping the compression as well with the kit. I'm figuring somewhere along the $2200 - $2300 range, which, with everything else I've read should put her in the 120-125 range for torque.
I'm giving it another year before I start the mechanical side. I want to make sure I'm fully comfortable on the bike before I dump money into the engine, plus I'm having too much fun riding it as it is now. Figured if I wait another year, I'll get bored and want to mod something anyway so it would be a good time to do the mechanical.

Curious to see what you come up with from FM though. Why only 107" btw.....don't want to have bragging right to rip on all of those CVO weenies "love you guys, haha" who had too much money to blow when they bought their bike.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
I'm giving it another year before I start the mechanical side. I want to make sure I'm fully comfortable on the bike before I dump money into the engine, plus I'm having too much fun riding it as it is now. Figured if I wait another year, I'll get bored and want to mod something anyway so it would be a good time to do the mechanical.

Curious to see what you come up with from FM though. Why only 107" btw.....don't want to have bragging right to rip on all of those CVO weenies "love you guys, haha" who had too much money to blow when they bought their bike.
I didn't want to go TOO crazy with it.. and with the 107 kit you don't have to bore the case, it's all pretty much bolt on upgrades (less so with the cams, but still). I'm thinking I'll still be able to rip the 110's up from the light.. It's even more bragging rights when they're looking at the tail lights (or I'm at least keeping up..) of a smaller ci bike.. haha

Not to mention, I've only ever heard and read good things about the FM 107 upgrades - especially with the heads being opened up. She'll be a beastie when it's all said and done.

Last edited by Pa-Rider; 01-02-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:42 PM
jweinsteiger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet headlight

Just got done putting on a BILLET HEADLIGHT and a few other small parts that came in today. Gauge upgrade next then a blackline console .

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-1537446_10153688859460022_1471877988_o.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-1546534_10153688856780022_22963205_o.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-1548533_10153688858255022_1749408527_o.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-1552217_10153688855900022_1844952655_o.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-1556621_10153688856280022_707453442_o.jpg  

Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
JamieDTR
Advanced

Bobbie, I also like the drag bar look/feel, but didn't like the reach. I had a set custom made by Greg's Cycles. Took the FOREVER to finish, but they did a nice job. Unfortunately, by the time they arrived, we had snow. So I have only "driven" it around the shop! lol

I don't like ape's, so these are 0" rise with a 9" pullback. I sit more comfortable on the back, and not bent over so. Can't wait for spring!

Here's a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-photo-13.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-photo-14.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-photo-15.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 PM
jweinsteiger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JamieDTR
Bobbie, I also like the drag bar look/feel, but didn't like the reach. I had a set custom made by Greg's Cycles. Took the FOREVER to finish, but they did a nice job. Unfortunately, by the time they arrived, we had snow. So I have only "driven" it around the shop! lol

I don't like ape's, so these are 0" rise with a 9" pullback. I sit more comfortable on the back, and not bent over so. Can't wait for spring!

Here's a few pics.
JamieDTR I noticed you are running the powervision PV2 and have their visor
I am yet to spring for one how well does it work for you?
Visor
Visor

Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 PM
JamieDTR
Advanced

Originally Posted by jweinsteiger
JamieDTR I noticed you are running the powervision PV2 and have their visor
I am yet to spring for one how well does it work for you?
Visor
Visor
Jweinsteiger - Not sure if you are asking about the PV or just the Visor, so I'll give my opinion on each! :-) So far, I am liking the PowerVision. The wide range of things you can monitor should making tuning a lot easier. I haven't played with the tune much yet, though. Ran into winter, so can't give you much of an opinion there. However, just playing around with it on the comp, I don't think it will be too bad.

As for the visor, its ok. Just ok. I thought it would be a little better quality (i.e. chromed sheetmetal or something BESIDES PLASTIC). So I was a little disappointed with their choice of materials. As for shade, it seems to do a decent job. Nothing with be perfect or spectacular, as the weather changes too much. I don't have too many issues seeing the display on most days that I've ridden with it so far. I do think it finishes it off nicely, looks more "complete". And for the $14 I paid for it, I guess I am getting my money's worth from it. :-)

Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 PM
jweinsteiger
Cruiser

Jweinsteiger - Not sure if you are asking about the PV or just the Visor, so I'll give my opinion on each! :-) So far, I am liking the PowerVision. The wide range of things you can monitor should making tuning a lot easier. I haven't played with the tune much yet, though. Ran into winter, so can't give you much of an opinion there. However, just playing around with it on the comp, I don't think it will be too bad.

As for the visor, its ok. Just ok. I thought it would be a little better quality (i.e. chromed sheetmetal or something BESIDES PLASTIC). So I was a little disappointed with their choice of materials. As for shade, it seems to do a decent job. Nothing with be perfect or spectacular, as the weather changes too much. I don't have too many issues seeing the display on most days that I've ridden with it so far. I do think it finishes it off nicely, looks more "complete". And for the $14 I paid for it, I guess I am getting my money's worth from it. :-)
Thanks for the info I do already have the PV2 and am considering the visor I have ordered 76000191A Road Tech zumo Handlebar Mount Kit I am going to see if it will work with the PV2 http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...CatEntryType=2 They also have a black version BTW I like your bars you had made looks good!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a few pics.
Can you post a side shot....hard to picture those bars with the pics you posted.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 AM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jweinsteiger
Just got done putting on a BILLET HEADLIGHT and a few other small parts that came in today. Gauge upgrade next then a blackline console .
Joe, what is the windshield you have. It is the perfect size and it looks like a quick detachable, yes?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Default Tools

Apologies for the mundane silly new guy nature of this but; as a Breakout owner, what as a minimum should I pack along for tools on a road trip ? A kit advertized commercially includes:

3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 and 10mm wrenches

5/8 plug wrench

8" adjustable

Electrical tape, cable ties, shop towel, AA flashlight.

I'd like to make up my own kit, of course, subtracting from the above list what I'm unlikely to need for a "Breakout" and adding to it the more likely necessities. A flat rear tire would require a cell phone I'm guessing .

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread