Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 08:25 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 400 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Agree with your assessment…bike handles fine and the suspension is fine. I was actually surprised at how comfortable the Breakout rides and how well it handles given the 34 degree rake and 240 rear. I believe Harley has engineered the chassis to get the best out of it despite the constraints for styling.
Yes, I view the Breakout as a really impressive stylistic interpretation of a "dragbike". It's got all the right features that a dragbike typically has:

- Long and low (dragbikes do this to mitigate wheelying)

- LOW seat height (Dragbikes do this to lower the rider's center of mass, to miitgate wheelying). I really appreciate this on the street though, as it makes the 683 wet weight much easier for me to confidently keep the bike upright!

- Stretched out front end to achieve a long wheelbase (Again, a dragbike needs that to mitgate wheelyiing)

- Handlebar is pretty straight (Dragbikes do this to move the rider's body weight forward to fight wheelying). However, HD wisely raised the handlebar on this 2023 version, as the older version was too hard on a rider's back when used on a STREET (not drag) bike! But, hD disguised that upward movement by doing it via a high riser, not a handlebar bend

- VERY wide rear tire (a dragbike has this for strong traction during launch)

- VERY skinny front wheel and tire assembly (dragbikes use skinny, lighter weight front wheel assemblies to reduce moment of inertia). However, HD obviously did this for style versus function, as the 21" wheel diameter and even larger overall tire diameter ADD to moment of inertia. The front end STILL "looks" like a "drag skinny" because it is so NARROW compared to that 240 mm wide rear tire!

- Although dragbikes don't typically keep fenders on, the bobbed front and rear fenders are typical of performance motorcycles, because they reduce weight. However, with the rear fender, HD accentuated the loooong look by extending and sweeping it rearward horizontally, and adding that over-length taillight, to make the bike look longer, accentuating that dragbike vibe

You begin to understand just HOW low the bike LOOKS and IS, when you look at this photo of a Breakout right beside a Camaro:

The Camaro has a VERY low body profile, and only 3.5" of ground clearance, and yet the Breakout - even its MIRRORS - is lower.

HDs stylists hit the ball right out of the park with their design, and the HD engineers and ergonomics experts made the stylists' vision actually practical for the street. This model is pretty special.

Jim G

The following 3 users liked this post by JimGnitecki:
Road_King_Rider (02-03-2024), stratplexi (02-03-2024), SXR (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 01:32 PM
Road_King_Rider
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, I agree that it's a lot to do as far as upgrades and if I wasn't retired with the time on my hands I might not have attempted it. The front fork upgrade was a bit of a challenge trying to compress them when I was putting them back together. The pulley swap was straight forward to change, not much more than pulling the rear tire for a change.
I really like the new BO and if I ever get tired of my 14 BO I will definitely consider swapping it for a new model.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:56 PM
Benjammin713
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rodrocket
Greetings All

Just doing some upgrades on my 2014 CVO Breakout & need to move the wheel back a little more

The current belt is 132 Tooth & have spoken to the dealership & they tell me the 2013 & 2014 belt is the same HD40059-09A

Does anybody have a part number for a 133 tooth belt

Also has anybody taken any measurements how far it will move the wheel back with one or two extra teeth

I have the 30 Tooth Tri Glide pulley on the front & a 70 Tooth on the rear

regards
Rod
2013 IS 133T, thinking about doing the same, and wondering how much it moves it back.

REAR BELT, 133T, 24 MM WIDE (BLUE)

The following users liked this post:
Road_King_Rider (02-04-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 08:56 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

The closer I look at the 2023 Breakout specs, the more itneresting they become. Like the 214 version I had, the 2023 version mixes tire types: bias ply on the front and radial on the rear. More importantly, while the 2014 had a VERY heavy and "square edged" 240 wide Dunlop tire from the factory, the 2023 has a Micheling Scorcher 240 wide that has a rounder profile (so it does not resist turning into turns as much as the Dunlop) AND is MUCH lighter, at just 19 lb. That is only a bit heavier than the lightweight Pirelli Diablo 240 wide tire that I put on my 2014 to improve both the turning and acceleration (lower moment of inertia).

By the way, the specs for that 240 wide tire say it is 10.12" wide when inflated!

The front Michelin Scorcher on the 2023 weighs only about 13.5 lb, which is pretty light for a cruiser front tire.

The 2023 Breakout shows a lot of improved details in its specs.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 02-03-2024 at 09:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JimGnitecki:
Road_King_Rider (02-04-2024), stratplexi (02-03-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 01:52 AM
DarthJohn
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wow this shiz is popular

what’s up with breakouts?, enlighten me ol wise one

Old 02-06-2024, 09:06 AM
Aries Maniac
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Updated mods to my 2013 cvo breakout

Changed the pipes, air cleaner, grips, mirrors, derby cover, horn cover and have inch risers on it

Last edited by Aries Maniac; 02-06-2024 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Not stage 3 its stage 1
The following 2 users liked this post by Aries Maniac:
Road_King_Rider (02-08-2024), stratplexi (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 10:11 AM
PC997
Stellar HDF Member
Received 651 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Interestingly, HD calls it "red" versus orange. And, they offer a Sena/HD helmet in black with "red" trim that matches this trim color on the bike. the dealership's motorclothes manager, who held the helmet up beside the bike in the showroom says the helmet and bike colors are a match. Go figure.

Maybe a Harley color selector has a color vision issue?

Jim G

One of the first things I did to my Breakout was to remove the reflectors from the fork. But on your bike, they look in place.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:28 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by PC997

One of the first things I did to my Breakout was to remove the reflectors from the fork. But on your bike, they look in place.
I used to remove reflectors off of my motorcycles. But then I talked to a car guy with a very special car that was black in color with black wheels. One night, in a restaurant parking lot, an older driver with impaired night vision backed his car right into the side of the car guy's mostly black car, doing serious damage. That severely reduced the value of the car guy's beloved car. Motorcycles are a LOT harder to see than cars, apaprently even in broad daylight. So, I stopped removing the reflectors.

Jim G

Old 02-07-2024, 04:56 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

That's the chance you take.... reflectors are lame....

Old 02-07-2024, 06:11 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I ditch the reflectors and stickers on all my bikes as soon as I get them. Nothing more tacky than government mandated or litigation induced stickers.

The following 2 users liked this post by stratplexi:
Henboykin (02-09-2024), vtchopperdude (02-09-2024)

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread