Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 03:49 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisn
One minor issue I have with my bike is the turn radius. It seems like I'm frequently scraping pegs. Anyone know if an engine guard would reduce the turn radius even more?
Depends on what engine guard you buy. I've got this puppy:

https://www.lindbycustom.com/engine-...line-breakout/

You can see by its shape that road clearance is no issue. I've also done LA's recommended suspension mod. Do it !! You won't be sorry.

You can also slug the forks. I've extended mine by 2" but know that if you do this you'll also need to put a shoe on your jiffy stand or your BO will lean excessively when parked.

Last edited by HKMark23; 11-16-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:51 AM
cruisn
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23

You can see by its shape that road clearance is no issue. I've also done LA's recommended suspension mod. Do it !! You won't be sorry.

You can also slug the forks. I've extended mine by 2" but know that if you do this you'll also need to put a shoe on your jiffy stand or your BO will lean excessively when parked.

That one looks sweet! Where did you get it from?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisn
That one looks sweet! Where did you get it from?
Curse you for taxing the memory of an old man ! I think it was Dennis Kirk. I've bought a lot of stuff there over the years. If you go to the home page of the link I posted above, they probably have a list of Dealers. The Lindby line of engine guards is fairly common I think. Hope this helps.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I may just have bought it through that link.

Last edited by HKMark23; 11-18-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Very nice bud- good to see ya around. yeh don't slug the forks that will really suck doing that with the stock springs- lol - besides it's the same amount of work as dropping in new springs + ricor dampers.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:48 AM
cruisn
Tourer

Curse you for taxing the memory of an old man ! I think it was Dennis Kirk. I've bought a lot of stuff there over the years. If you go to the home page of the link I posted above, they probably have a list of Dealers. The Lindby line of engine guards is fairly common I think. Hope this helps.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I may just have bought it through that link.
I didn't see the link in your post. But yea that looks to be the one!

Old 11-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Benjammin713
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarRat;[url=tel:16578072
16578072[/url]]
All this talk of new bikes is driving me nuts. H-D made a business decision. Personally I really like the direction they went with the Fat Boy and Fat Bob, the others are ok, and they fumbled with the Breakout. So to celebrate my awesome "old" Breakout, put about 230 miles on her today with a friend and rode to the top of Mt. Evans. Can't do that with a 3.5 gallon tank!

Took them up well above tree line. Bike pulled hard with its new SE 50 mm throttle body, 204 cams, and SE billet cam plate and oil pump. Stopped in Idaho Springs for lunch and a beer. Beautiful Colorado day.

does the 50mm throttle body fit stock 103 heads? I guess you’re happy with it?

The following users liked this post:
cruisn (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:15 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjammin713
does the 50mm throttle body fit stock 103 heads? I guess you’re happy with it?
Yes- fits fine as do larger injectors. however, a tuner like the powervision (or dyno tune at a shop) is absolutely necessary to dial it in. Went with the andrews 48 cam on mine, fantastic. that cam puts the corrected compression ratio for the 103 in the sweet spot, does not require any head work, and it pulls like a train through the low to mid. Bottom line though, your largest performance gain over a stock breakout will come from changing the rear drive belt pulleys to 30/70 or 30/68. the difference is huge, even without any tuning. Cams, throttle body, tuning are smaller incremental improvements- but will give more benefit by having the belt pulleys done first. I'd even go as far as saying those who have done their belt pulleys won't want to bother with a cam upgrade, throttle body, etc.

here is the link to my past testing of andews cams on my 103 breakout. very useful. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...t-softail.html - it will help show why some end up disappointed with the 57, 37 and some of the other off-the-shelf choices. it's all about the "DCR" - dynamic compression ratio- that you end up with - and that is dictated by cam events. It's imperative to know what your static compression is before selecting cam, and based on that along with the cam specs, will tell you what the cam is going to give as far as operational (dynamic) compression when the motor is operating.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 11-20-2019 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Benjammin713 (03-14-2020)
Old 11-21-2019, 09:10 AM
cruisn
Tourer

I just ordered a chrome oil tank for my bike. Anyone ever do an oil tank swap on the breakout? I have the manual and it seems like it's more complicated than I anticipated but I could def set some time aside to do it if need be.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:01 PM
jsmith800
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great question!! i'm pulling mine this winter to send to the chrome shop.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:42 PM
cruisn
Tourer

Originally Posted by jsmith800
great question!! i'm pulling mine this winter to send to the chrome shop.
I figured all that was needed was removal of the battery and the rear fender. Apparently you have to remove the rear wheel, and the splash guard as well. Then you need a special tool to remove the oil lines.

Last edited by cruisn; 11-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread