Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 03:18 PM
305 Rider
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Performance Machine Virtue Wheels

I got some new Performance Machine Virtue Wheels and wanted to show them off- err, I mean, share some pics with you
But really, in case anyone was thinking about getting some PM Contrast Cut wheels on their Breakout and want to see what they're like... here you go.

Decided to go with the full package... sprocket and rotors as well. I mean, once you're committing to the price on the wheels... might as well go all out.

*Sorry for the one blurry pic... Looked better on Instagram

Top: Stock Wheels, 2018 FXBRS Bottom: the new PM Virtue Wheels (same size wheels; in the lower pic the front wheel looks bigger but I guess I just took the picture from a lower angle or something)

Last edited by 305 Rider; 10-15-2019 at 03:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cruisn (10-17-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

whattup all. always good to see some familiar folks and of course a lot of nice rides. (well most of 'em lol!)

still no Breakout in my stable, was looking over a 2015 CVO BO as a project bike but deal didn't work out. got a 1992 Kenny Boyce pro street fxr bobber coming next week so that should be interesting. only has 5k miles on it it's a total garage queen.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:51 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Toeslider
So, this happened over the last couple weekends:

Don't know if I’m the first to do it, but if anyone else has done the swap they’re sure keeping it a secret! I couldn’t find any information anywhere, so I just had to bite the bullet and try it. Found a Fatboy next to a Breakout at a dealership and took enough measurements to determine it “should” work. It’s not a direct replacement (it may be for 2018+ Breakouts, it probably is but I’m not sure), but it’s not too bad. I’ll do a separate thread on the swap if there is interest. Basically nothing changes on the brake side, but the Fatboy wheel on the pulley side is about 1/4” wider, so you need a different spacer and a different pulley to make it all line up (without machining anything). Haven’t ridden it yet, but pushing it around the garage nothing is rubbing or dragging. Not anticipating any problems, but time will tell.

I also picked up a fat spoked radial laced front, going to see how that looks with it. For now I just plasti-dipped the stock front to get an idea of what it would look like if I stripped it to bare metal like the rear. Might still do that anyway.
i can appreciate the amount of work and gamble it took for the wheel mod- but IMO the solid wheel doesn't look right. plus it is heavy as hell and adds to rotational mass. but hey i do a lot of oddball **** to my bikes so at and of day- who da hell cares as long as ya like it.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:54 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Love da PM wheels ;-) -not only beautiful, but quality is top notch.

Originally Posted by MyBlackHeart
I got some new Performance Machine Virtue Wheels and wanted to show them off- err, I mean, share some pics with you
But really, in case anyone was thinking about getting some PM Contrast Cut wheels on their Breakout and want to see what they're like... here you go.

Decided to go with the full package... sprocket and rotors as well. I mean, once you're committing to the price on the wheels... might as well go all out.

*Sorry for the one blurry pic... Looked better on Instagram

Top: Stock Wheels, 2018 FXBRS Bottom: the new PM Virtue Wheels (same size wheels; in the lower pic the front wheel looks bigger but I guess I just took the picture from a lower angle or something)

The following users liked this post:
305 Rider (10-15-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM
Toeslider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
i can appreciate the amount of work and gamble it took for the wheel mod- but IMO the solid wheel doesn't look right. plus it is heavy as hell and adds to rotational mass. but hey i do a lot of oddball **** to my bikes so at and of day- who da hell cares as long as ya like it.
Yeah, to each his own I guess. Fat boy wheel came out looking exactly like I thought it would, so I’m happy with that. My only beef right now is I really didn’t give much thought to what front wheel to pair it up with. The more I look around, the more I lean toward some version of the stock front wheel. Not black though, to me that looks like a work in progress. I like how it looks with a combination cast and machined finish. I used a shade darker paint on the front wheel and I like the way it looks, but it’s really difficult to mask off the polished parts with removable plastic paint, because it tends to pull up with the tape when you take it off. My options are to either paint the wheel with real automotive paint, or strip the factory paint off the wheel. Stripping the paint off the wheel is nearly impossible unless you sandblast, then you have to either mask the polished parts or polish them back up after blasting. I think that look would be a good match though. I’ve always liked the look of bikes like the Deuce, so I see this as kind of an updated version of that.

As as far as weight, I think it’s negligible. I don’t know what the Breakout wheel weighs, but I think shipping weight on the Fat Boy wheel was around 28 pounds. If anything, it rides and handles better now, but that probably has more to do with the different tire than anything else.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:17 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

good luck with rest of mods- for me, sometimes just playing around with different ideas is the fun part. if you want to do the #1 hands down best handling upgrade to this bike, go here - it's rather inexpensive and not a hard DIY. the end result is night and day.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...ools-tips.html

Old 10-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Wapiti Hunter
Road Captain
Received 1,422 Likes on 237 Posts

probably not the place to post but wondering if I could get a BO wheel and tire to fit on my 09 Softail Custom? I don't know where to find out what spacers I need or if the ones with my 21" laced wheel will work. New fender will be needed for the wider tire, running MH90-21 now.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:04 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Wapiti Hunter
probably not the place to post but wondering if I could get a BO wheel and tire to fit on my 09 Softail Custom? I don't know where to find out what spacers I need or if the ones with my 21" laced wheel will work. New fender will be needed for the wider tire, running MH90-21 now.
Rear or front?

Old 10-17-2019, 04:13 PM
cruisn
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
good luck with rest of mods- for me, sometimes just playing around with different ideas is the fun part. if you want to do the #1 hands down best handling upgrade to this bike, go here - it's rather inexpensive and not a hard DIY. the end result is night and day.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...ools-tips.html
Where'd you find the tank badges?

Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Wapiti Hunter
Road Captain
Received 1,422 Likes on 237 Posts

front tire

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread