Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:09 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi,
the backfiring does not indicate that you need another air cleaner. As far as I know the ECM should tolerate either change of the exhaust or change to an "open" air cleaner w/o calibration. Obviously yours does not. So I would assume that your engine (ECM) needs to be re-mapped. In case you're planning on changing the air cleaner anyway, you better re-map after you've installed the a/c. Otherwise you migth need to do it all over again.

Most of the Breakouts I've seen so far use a Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather. If you want to stick with OEM parts you could also use a SE Ventilator Perf. a/c. But there are also very popular aftermarket parts by Roland Sands (Clarity or Turbine) or Arlen Ness (Big Sucker).

Have fun modding!

Last edited by EagleRay; 12-31-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Hi,
the backfiring does not indicate that you need another air cleaner. As far as I know the ECM should tolerate either change of the exhaust or change to an "open" air cleaner w/o calibration. Obviously yours does not. So I would assume that your engine (ECM) needs to be re-mapped. In case you're planning on changing the air cleaner anyway, you better re-map after you've installed the a/c. Otherwise you migth need to do it all over again.

Most of the Breakouts I've seen so far use a Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather. If you want to stick with OEM parts you could also use a SE Ventilator Perf. a/c. But there are also very popular aftermarket parts by Roland Sands (Clarity or Turbine) or Arlen Ness (Big Sucker).

Have fun modding!
I'll add to this. Fuel Moto makes a tuner for this as well that is the dogs bollocks, and damn near every air cleaner available will fit the BO. Air cleaners are essentially all the same so why are they so different in price, looks and name branding, that's it. HD, RSD, Arlen Ness and the three most popular but you will pay for the name.

Hth

Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Bobbie's BO
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, any suggestions on the handlebars? I am 5'2 and really like the drag bars but the reach is really bad, I have short arms.
I had the bike lowered at the dealership, what a mistake, now it scrapes the pavement in turns, going back to the original shocks and get some heels.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbie's BO
Thanks guys, any suggestions on the handlebars? I am 5'2 and really like the drag bars but the reach is really bad, I have short arms.
I had the bike lowered at the dealership, what a mistake, now it scrapes the pavement in turns, going back to the original shocks and get some heels.

Instead of changing the handlebars - if you really like those stock dragbars - you could think about getting a seat that will move you a little bit forward. There is something like a reduced reach seat I guess.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

1) OEM reach handlebar, non really a dragbar but more backward oriented, is the same used on FXSBSE CVO Breakout.
2) Risers spacers, 1" or 1,5", aftermarket
3) OEM Reach saddle as EagleRay stated
4) change dragbar with a "V" version, there are many OEM or aftermarket types.
These are the main options I can think of. Maybe one or more of these combined could solve your problem.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 PM
BroTim
Advanced

You can also go to dannygray.com and check out their solo seat for the Breakout, from the photos I think it already sits you farther forward but they will also custom make one to sit you as closer to the bars.

Originally Posted by Bobbie's BO
Per 24v suggestion I put my mirrors under instead of over my apes. I like them better under.

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-image.jpg  

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-07-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

That bike is gonna be bad *** when it is done. Hurry up already, geez!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 PM
BroTim
Advanced

I'm waiting on my swingarm that's getting chromed and a chrome oil tank from Harley. I also just ordered some Big City Thunder Baffles for my Samson Street Sweepers, the volume was too low when I got on it. I'll post pictures as soon as it's done!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 PM
jweinsteiger
Cruiser
Default First Parts of 2014 UPS Tomorrow

I have a parts order being delivered tomorrow and then the fun begins hopefully ready for a ride Friday afternoon our weather is looking good for a day then snow again.

Part Number Name

31967-08 SE 10 MM PLUG WIRES RED, FXCW/C

51676-97A DETACH SEAT HRDWARE KIT,2-UP

58308-95 WINDSHIELD BAG-BS LOGO

67704-03 KIT, BILLET HEADLIGHT BUCKET

74597-01 KIT, COVER, VOLTAGE REGULATOR

91716-02 MEDALLION, OVAL W/ BS

Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone done any major engine work on their breakout? I'll be calling Jamie over at FM and starting the beginning process of figuring costs for their 107" kit. I'm also going to have them port the heads and looking at either the TW 777 or 888 cams (haven't decided which yet until I talk to Jamie). Upping the compression as well with the kit. I'm figuring somewhere along the $2200 - $2300 range, which, with everything else I've read should put her in the 120-125 range for torque.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread