Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:10 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 400 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by gaff
Got my new tuner for the Breakout yesterday. Thought hay lets go put it in....I would like to thank the master minds at harley that thought it was cute by putting the ECM in front of the rear wheel.
Needless to say, now it's my prodject today, after I find a 3/4" allen wrench....
This illustrates one advantage of using, for example, either an HD Super Tuner Pro, or Power Vision. Both connect to the factory diagnostic connection, which you access by simply removing the seat.

Getting at the actual ECM is a very labor intensive process on the Breakout, as I found out when I added the siren to my alarm. It requires removing the forward mudflap on the rear fender, which requires removal of the rear wheel. Since I have no garage, and a gravel driveway with a 7% slope, I paid my dealer to do it.

Jim G

Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harty
Well JIXeR and Stone Cliff I think I have worked out what has happened. I have looked in my Parts catalogue they gave me 2 days ago,and the forward extensions they put on for me are not in there. The genuine Harley extensions look different and are all one piece with the pegs shifted 3" forward. I did a google search for the arlen ness 3" forward extensions you spoke of and mine look identical to them. Flat plates that move the whole peg assembly 3" forward. Same outcome but just a different way of doing it.

Not sure how I feel about what they have done now. When I ordered my bike they showed me genuine Harley 3" extensions on another bike that I could have on mine. Looks like they have bolted on a cheaper option to save themselves a bit of cash on the deal. $600 compared to $250.

It was never specified to me that they would be Arlen ness extensions. What do you guys think? Should I query them on this.
At the end of the day though, my feet are 3" further forward as requested and I am stoked with the whole bike.
I am very new to the harley game, maybe they just thought I wouldn't know the difference.

any chance you could get me a little closer pic of the extensions? i'm curious how they look compared to mine.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:37 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
.....I have no garage.....

Jim G
Where do you park the Breakout?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:03 AM
harty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go JIXeR. Some close ups of my extensions. Quality of the extensions I do not have a problem with, they look good. Just feels like I did not receive what I should have. I think I need to have a chat to them about it.

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-dsc_1003.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-dsc_1005.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-dsc_1011.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
Where do you park the Breakout?
We are currently living in a cabin, that has a gravel driveway that slopes steeply from the road to the cabin. There is no garage. I park the Breakout at the top end of the driveway, and it is covered with the heavy duty vented outdoor cover that HD sells.

Because the Breakout is so low in height, the cover comes down to ground level in its "uncorseted" form. However, I use the "corset strings" setup that is built into the cover to "tighten" the cover somewhat around the bike, until the bottom hem of the cover is just above ground level. This ensures that the bike is fully covered, included the wheels, against rain, wind, and rain splashback, but allows air to circulate under the cover around the bike (the top vents allow this circulation to be "flow through"). This prevents accumulation of moisture.

The cover as delivered comes with a pair of compression ropes at the front wheel, that tighten the cover around and under the front of the front wheel. A similar arrangement at the back of the bike tightens the cover around and under the rear wheel. A central quick release 1" wide strap tightens the cover around the center of the bike from underneath. Leaving the footpegs extended forces the cover to conform around them, adding to the "air space" around the bike. The cover is plenty strong enough so the footpegs present no piercing possibility.

The "corset strings" setup on the top of the cover allows you to customize the fit of the cover to the bike to get just the right dimensions to allow air circulation but discourage flapping in any wind.

The cover as delivered is able to handle pretty good winds without flapping or coming off the bike at either end, but when we got 50 mph wind gusts a few weeks ago, the gusts lifted the cover off the front wheel and started to try to peel it back. I remedied that then and forever by adding a bungee cord to supplement the front compression strings. The bungee cord runs through the front wheel spokes, at the rim directly below the axle, through 2 slots that HD provided to run a chain or cable lock through, and the hooks of the bungee hook to each other (not the bike) right at the front bottom of the cover. This forces the cover tightly against the front tire without the bungee hooks contacting the bike. The cover has been stable with this arrangement through a recent high wind thunderstorm that the National Weather Service classified as "severe".

Because the cover rides over the mirrors at the front, and over the quick detach sissy bar at the rear, and because the front and rear fenders are both, uh, "minimal", on the Breakout, all the expensive metalflake paint (front fender, fuel tank, and rear fender) is protected against even the possibility of hail, but if I am home and the possibility of hail is announced on TV, I always, as extra insurance, place a cheap heavy blanket over the fuel tank and another one over the rear fender, both covers being under the bike cover, between the cover and the parts they protect.

The cover takes less than a minute to remove, and under 2 minutes to put on.

Jim G

p.s. The Breakout jiffy stand handled the 50 mph wind gusts no sweat.

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 05-23-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harty
Here you go JIXeR. Some close ups of my extensions. Quality of the extensions I do not have a problem with, they look good. Just feels like I did not receive what I should have. I think I need to have a chat to them about it.
i definitely would if you think you got overcharged. but to be honest, i would have requested the arlen ness anyway. hahaha. so, i think you got the better product, just hopefully not at the expense of the higher price. it looks great by the way. really hope someone gets me these for my birthday in a couple weeks. *COUGH* *COUGH*

Old 05-23-2014, 11:44 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

We are currently living in a cabin, that has a gravel driveway that slopes steeply from the road to the cabin. There is no garage. I park the Breakout at the top end of the driveway, and it is covered with the heavy duty vented outdoor cover that HD sells.

Because the Breakout is so low in height, the cover comes down to ground level in its "uncorseted" form. However, I use the "corset strings" setup that is built into the cover to "tighten" the cover somewhat around the bike, until the bottom hem of the cover is just above ground level. This ensures that the bike is fully covered, included the wheels, against rain, wind, and rain splashback, but allows air to circulate under the cover around the bike (the top vents allow this circulation to be "flow through"). This prevents accumulation of moisture.

The cover as delivered comes with a pair of compression ropes at the front wheel, that tighten the cover around and under the front of the front wheel. A similar arrangement at the back of the bike tightens the cover around and under the rear wheel. A central quick release 1" wide strap tightens the cover around the center of the bike from underneath. Leaving the footpegs extended forces the cover to conform around them, adding to the "air space" around the bike. The cover is plenty strong enough so the footpegs present no piercing possibility.

The "corset strings" setup on the top of the cover allows you to customize the fit of the cover to the bike to get just the right dimensions to allow air circulation but discourage flapping in any wind.

The cover as delivered is able to handle pretty good winds without flapping or coming off the bike at either end, but when we got 50 mph wind gusts a few weeks ago, the gusts lifted the cover off the front wheel and started to try to peel it back. I remedied that then and forever by adding a bungee cord to supplement the front compression strings. The bungee cord runs through the front wheel spokes, at the rim directly below the axle, through 2 slots that HD provided to run a chain or cable lock through, and the hooks of the bungee hook to each other (not the bike) right at the front bottom of the cover. This forces the cover tightly against the front tire without the bungee hooks contacting the bike. The cover has been stable with this arrangement through a recent high wind thunderstorm that the National Weather Service classified as "severe".

Because the cover rides over the mirrors at the front, and over the quick detach sissy bar at the rear, and because the front and rear fenders are both, uh, "minimal", on the Breakout, all the expensive metalflake paint (front fender, fuel tank, and rear fender) is protected against even the possibility of hail, but if I am home and the possibility of hail is announced on TV, I always, as extra insurance, place a cheap heavy blanket over the fuel tank and another one over the rear fender, both covers being under the bike cover, between the cover and the parts they protect.

The cover takes less than a minute to remove, and under 2 minutes to put on.

Jim G

p.s. The Breakout jiffy stand handled the 50 mph wind gusts no sweat.
Damn, that was a hell of a response. LOL Could have just said "Outside under a cover".

Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
Damn, that was a hell of a response. LOL Could have just said "Outside under a cover".
I tend to be "thorough".

Jim G

Old 05-23-2014, 03:39 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Oh, hell, I've come this far, I may as well add a photo:

Name:  2014-05-23HDBikecover_zps127f503f.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  56.3 KB

Jim G

Old 05-23-2014, 03:45 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Oh, hell, I've come this far, I may as well add a photo:

Jim G
You must live in a good neighborhood. My cover reads "Cricket", made in Taiwan .

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread