Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 AM
Vinman411
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 106 Likes on 58 Posts

Anyone replace the factory kickstand on your breakout? is there a difference between regular and cvo? I wouldn’t think there would be but ya never know.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinman411
Anyone replace the factory kickstand on your breakout? is there a difference between regular and cvo? I wouldn’t think there would be but ya never know.
I had to put a shoe on my stand after extending the forks by 2". Drilling these puppies is hard work, (without a press). The J-stands are made of very hard steel. They are also held in place via a pretzel clip, not a nut, which is nice to know if you ever want to remove one.

The following users liked this post:
Vinman411 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM
Teddy Vedder
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vtchopperdude
Guess I'll just live with it. Like I said, my FP3 doesn't throw any codes for it, and the bike runs great. I don't think I'll mess with it. But still, that's some bs for a almost brand new bike IMHO...
just spoke to my dealer and he told me there was a recall for this, but that my bike had the repair (reprogram BCM) done a month before I bought it in 2014. He wants to take a look at it and see if it’s something they can claim under the recall.

Here is is what I found on the BCM recall.
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...s-several.html

Probably won’t take it in until I leave town next week since it’s my DD. I will let you all know what I find out.

vtchopperdude (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:38 AM
Khloesdad
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Does anyone know if the new style {small} speedo assm from the 18+ BO will work on a 15? Is it plug and play? Thanks.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:40 AM
vtchopperdude
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

From the article...

"The scope of the recall affects some model year 2013-2014 FXSBE and 2014 FXSB model Softail Breakout motorcycles. The problem is the motorcycle may run out of fuel while the indicator shows that the motorcycle still has gas, even before the low fuel warning lamp illuminates."

My problem is slightly different, and I have a 2016. I get the LO RNG and the fuel light at appropriate times. My issue is that the LO RNG is on when the bike is started and idling. Once I start moving, the LO RNG goes away and the correct miles until empty is displayed. It's not a huge deal, but still, it shouldn't do that...right?

Either way I guess it wouldn't hurt to call the dealer and see if that recall extends past the '14 model year.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Teddy Vedder
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

From the article...

"The scope of the recall affects some model year 2013-2014 FXSBE and 2014 FXSB model Softail Breakout motorcycles. The problem is the motorcycle may run out of fuel while the indicator shows that the motorcycle still has gas, even before the low fuel warning lamp illuminates."

My problem is slightly different, and I have a 2016. I get the LO RNG and the fuel light at appropriate times. My issue is that the LO RNG is on when the bike is started and idling. Once I start moving, the LO RNG goes away and the correct miles until empty is displayed. It's not a huge deal, but still, it shouldn't do that...right?

Either way I guess it wouldn't hurt to call the dealer and see if that recall extends past the '14 model year.
Yes, my problem is the same as yours and not exactly what they described in the recall. However, I’m going with faulty fuel indication is faulty fuel indication. I’ve never had it read full and be empty, rather it’s been the opposite.

Nevertheless, I think it’s all pointing the the BCM which is $249 from the dealer for the part if they have to replace it. Haven’t figured out what the labor is yet. I’ll let you guys know as soon as I get more info.

If it ends up being a $500 repair, I’m just going to run it the way I have for the past three years by resetting my trip mileage at every fill up.

vtchopperdude (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer

Originally Posted by Teddy Vedder
If it ends up being a $500 repair, I’m just going to run it the way I have for the past three years by resetting my trip mileage at every fill up.
Same. Unless my bike starts running badly or I get constant erroneous fuel display indications, then I'll probably just leave it alone. I can spend that $500 on other cool **** for the bike

Old 03-27-2019, 02:22 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Warmed up a bit in Ohio. Got a whole 270 on the clock, 30 or so today. Liking it so far!

Old 03-27-2019, 08:30 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer

Alright fellas, interesting twist to the story of the LO RNG. I had my bike on the battery tender last night. I started it up today, and no LO RNG. I moved it around to get to some stuff in the garage. It sat for a few minutes, then I started it back up, and no LO RNG. Then it sat for a another few minutes. I started it up for a third time, and it went to the Odometer display, then flashed LO RNG and the low fuel light came on. I rode it around the block, and no change. So, I went up to the gas station, and put 3.2 gallons in it. The trip meter said 101 miles. Low fuel light should come on at 1 gallon right? And only 101 miles on the tank...shouldn't I be getting like close to 200?? Electrical gremlins...? I read on another thread about someone having a dirty negative battery connection, and once they cleaned it, the LO RNG issue went away. Well, this bike is pristine!!! I mean not a spec of dust on it, and only 1100 miles. I don't think dirty connections are my issue. Everything else works properly. I do get 2 codes on my FP3. They are for the front turn signals because I didn't wire in the running light function when putting the slimline LEDs on. But, I wouldn't think that would cause a LO RNG indication...would it?

Old 03-27-2019, 08:46 PM
Breakout73
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright fellas, interesting twist to the story of the LO RNG. I had my bike on the battery tender last night. I started it up today, and no LO RNG. I moved it around to get to some stuff in the garage. It sat for a few minutes, then I started it back up, and no LO RNG. Then it sat for a another few minutes. I started it up for a third time, and it went to the Odometer display, then flashed LO RNG and the low fuel light came on. I rode it around the block, and no change. So, I went up to the gas station, and put 3.2 gallons in it. The trip meter said 101 miles. Low fuel light should come on at 1 gallon right? And only 101 miles on the tank...shouldn't I be getting like close to 200?? Electrical gremlins...? I read on another thread about someone having a dirty negative battery connection, and once they cleaned it, the LO RNG issue went away. Well, this bike is pristine!!! I mean not a spec of dust on it, and only 1100 miles. I don't think dirty connections are my issue. Everything else works properly. I do get 2 codes on my FP3. They are for the front turn signals because I didn't wire in the running light function when putting the slimline LEDs on. But, I wouldn't think that would cause a LO RNG indication...would it?
Question: how old is the battery? I know it's on a tender but if it doesn't hold a charge the electric gremlins started there for me. Just throwing it out there again. I'm sure you've thought of that though.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread