Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:18 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I have their delux kit. Didn’t know they made a 3” Doesn’t that expose too much of the top tube ?
The tank gap and the tube are exposed, yes, but the congestion around the speedo housing / riser area and close proximity of the two effectively cloaks this so you don't really see or notice either. It is part of the reason I went with the stubby CVO risers and angled bases instead of options which would simply lift the speedo housing more to provide the necessary clearance. That would have been easy but aesthetically less pleasing IMHO.

Actually, if you examine the photo above, you are staring right into the tank gap, but because the speedo housing remains low and in the way, its visually all a nothing-burger. Rider visibility of the speedo, the face of which is now somewhat below the top of the tank and dash, remains excellent.

Last edited by HKMark23; 03-06-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:02 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Hate to ask. And its okay if you don’t. Ut a picture from the side where the intake is would show that difference much better.
I own a Slim and the delux kit DK came as a 2” front and 3/4” rear and with my street slammer bar it just makes it. So a 3” would force me to raise the bars and tbe cables are perfect where they are now so you know

Old 03-06-2019, 05:40 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Hate to ask. And its okay if you don’t. Ut a picture from the side where the intake is would show that difference much better.
I own a Slim and the delux kit DK came as a 2” front and 3/4” rear and with my street slammer bar it just makes it. So a 3” would force me to raise the bars and tbe cables are perfect where they are now so you know

The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Breakout73
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the part numbers needed to put the Blackline dash on the Breakout.
71576-08A (2 of these)
71340-11
72775-11

I JUST ordered all this from surdyke.com two weeks ago. GET THE TOP PLATE. Bolt on and done in 20 min. Cost $290 delivered for everything. Well worth it.

Last edited by Breakout73; 03-07-2019 at 12:33 PM.
vtchopperdude (03-10-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 03:56 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by vtchopperdude
Alright fellas, since I'm new to the Breakout thread, I figured I'd let yal know what I've done so far. I bought my '16 Breakout about a month ago with only 1147 miles and basically stock. What I've done so far...

Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-2 exhaust
Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3
Arlen Ness Deep Cut Air Cleaner
Kuryakyn Throttle Servo cover
Legend Air Ride
FMB Choppers 16” handlebars
Avon Excalibur Edge Cut air grips
Thunderbike 62mm straight risers
Drag Specialties LED slimline front turn signals
Custom Dynamics LED rear turn signals w/smoked lenses
Harley-Davidson Edge Cut rider/passenger pegs
Harley-Davidson Edge Cut rear brake lever
Harley-Davidson Edge Cut rear brake pad
Harley-Davidson Edge Cut shifter lever
Harley-Davidson Edge Cut shifter peg
Harley-Davidson Edge Cut shifter linkage
Harley-Davidson Edge Cut front brake reservoir cap
Arlen Ness Deep Cut horn
LA Choppers license plate spike bolts
Powdercoated upper riser clamp, rear fender struts, rear turn signals, inner shifter linkage, brake/clutch levers and switch housings

Possible future mods include Heartland front fender, Headwinds headlight, Hogworkz LED headlight, and a lower profile seat.

Look'n good brotha!!!

Has anybody used the Headwinds housing ONLY??? I really like the nostalgic look of the headlight itself, but would like to get a Headwinds housing with the visor. Also, hopefully it won't vibrate nearly as much as the stock headlamp. My question is will the stock headlight fit into a Headwinds housing? Or does the shape of the stock headlight not allow for that? Thanks.
I have a Headwinds housing, and although I never tried installing the stock headlight in it, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit....

Old 03-07-2019, 04:32 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Look'n good brotha!!!
Thanks for the positive feedback!! I'm one of those people who fears change. I had the exact same theme with my Road King, and loved it. Mainly black with tastefully placed chrome in just the right places. I really like where my build is going! I have the Headwinds Aurora housing on the way, along with a Heartland front fender, and the Blackline dash...and a black HD flush mount fuel cap. It never ends...and that's the attraction!!! I don't see how people can ride around a bone stock bike and enjoy it...?

Old 03-07-2019, 04:34 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer

Rocker B, I noticed you don't have the tank badge. Was that as simple as using the ol' fishing line trick and popping it off? The reflectors had some pretty strong stuff on them...wondering if the tank badge has the same stuff... Don't want to tear up the paint in the process.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:57 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Rocker B, I noticed you don't have the tank badge. Was that as simple as using the ol' fishing line trick and popping it off? The reflectors had some pretty strong stuff on them...wondering if the tank badge has the same stuff... Don't want to tear up the paint in the process.
I used dental floss and Goo Gone, but yes, just be sure to cut all the way thru the foam tape/backing. Don't try to pull/pry it off with any of tape still attached, or you could dent the tank. I also tried to be careful and keep the dental floss tight against the backside of the badges and off the paint when cutting thru the tape. Letting the Goo Gone soak in as you go helps a lot also.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/sof...dk-sft-tlk.htm

You've got to install the CVO short risers on top of 10 degree angled bushings, so the tank will clear the speedo housing after the 3" lift, but it all works, I've done it.

Shitty angle of view. Can't really see any lift at all? Think?

Old 03-09-2019, 02:02 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer

Mounted up Headwinds headlight housing. No issues; looks good; no more vibrating headlight. Also debadged tank.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread