Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 AM
vtchopperdude
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalt10
I had my signals and struts powder coated. No problem so far.
Was it a pain in the *** dissembling the turn signals, or does the harness pull through them? When I took the seat off, I noticed that the turn signal plug is kinda large. Did you have to depin the connector, or were you able to slide it through the turn signal housing? Also, I can't decide between flat black to match the pipes, or gloss black to match the frame, but looking at your bike, I REALLY like the gloss black. Even with your bike being red, the struts disappear and look like part of the frame. I dig it!!!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by vtchopperdude
was it a pain in the *** dissembling the turn signals, or does the harness pull through them? When i took the seat off, i noticed that the turn signal plug is kinda large. Did you have to depin the connector, or were you able to slide it through the turn signal housing? Also, i can't decide between flat black to match the pipes, or gloss black to match the frame, but looking at your bike, i really like the gloss black. Even with your bike being red, the struts disappear and look like part of the frame. I dig it!!!
gloss black!

Old 02-07-2019, 07:43 PM
vivid black
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 2013 breakout that when it sits oil level in tank goes down off stick when it had oil that they came with didn't notice it going down but on 2nd oil change put 20 50 synthetic in it started dopping. I was wondering where the oil seal or o ring is tthat other threads say is why it drops in tank? This has 3400 miles on bike I bought new.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Gearhead_573
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Picture of my 2014 breakout. Haven't made too many changes yet. It's a work in progress. I changed the tank console this winter.

I'm looking for a more comfortable seat. What do you guys suggest?

Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Gearhead_573
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vivid black
I have 2013 breakout that when it sits oil level in tank goes down off stick when it had oil that they came with didn't notice it going down but on 2nd oil change put 20 50 synthetic in it started dopping. I was wondering where the oil seal or o ring is tthat other threads say is why it drops in tank? This has 3400 miles on bike I bought new.
How long does it sit before it leaks down? If sitting over winter I wouldn't worry about. If overnight I'd be looking into it.

Pretty common issue on softails due to oil tank location.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by vtchopperdude
Was it a pain in the *** dissembling the turn signals, or does the harness pull through them? When I took the seat off, I noticed that the turn signal plug is kinda large. Did you have to depin the connector, or were you able to slide it through the turn signal housing? Also, I can't decide between flat black to match the pipes, or gloss black to match the frame, but looking at your bike, I REALLY like the gloss black. Even with your bike being red, the struts disappear and look like part of the frame. I dig it!!!
I depinned the connector. Easy to do. Connector will not fit thru the turn signals or extensions to the turn signals. I got the license plate holder done to (metal part of it). Spring is a pain to get back in. Go gloss black. I think it looks better.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 PM
vivid black
Advanced

At three weeks half way down stick after month or so off stick.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:22 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vivid black
At three weeks half way down stick after month or so off stick.
Are these levels on a cold or hot engine? Have you been riding the bike during the "month or so" ?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:48 AM
vivid black
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSR
Are these levels on a cold or hot engine? Have you been riding the bike during the "month or so" ?
Sorry I tryed to respond to Gearhead...573 about oil level in tank when my breakout has set for awhile sorry for confusion quote didnt go with his question.My bad

Old 02-09-2019, 12:25 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Well I ordered the Thunderbike 62mm risers that everyone has recommended; it ended up being about $225 shipped. They are the gloss black ones. I'm going to spend this weekend pulling the fender struts, rear turn signals, license plate bracket arm, shifter inner arm, top riser clamp, switch housings, and levers off for powdercoat. I'm going to do everything gloss black except the switch housings and levers. Those should probably be satin black right? A dull black shine instead of the gloss wet looking shine. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread