Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Just to reconfirm what many others have already stated, installing apes on your BO is absolutely transformational. People are split on the aesthetics of apes, but if you're partial to em, I'd suggest doing that mod before changing seats.

I've installed apes and a 30" sissy bar. For occasional overnight (or longer) trips, a roll top dry-bag is just what the doctor ordered. A 65 liter (17 gal) dry-bag sits nicely on the stock pillion with the roll clipped around the top section of the sissy bar. A single bungee around the base of the bag at the base of the bar is all you need to secure the bag in place. A 65 liter bag holds a lot of stuff, removes for carry in a split second, and when packed makes a convenient backrest. The bag is a cheap option and, with the bar, actually complements the ape style BO better than "most" other storage options I've seen. A black rubberized bag with a black bungee looks good installed.

Its freezing here too and unfortunately, I don't have a pic with the dry-bag installed but otherwise, here is my current setup:

As you can see, I have a swing arm bag and a small sissy bar bag as well.

If you're into the look, this is one comfy and seriously easy handling Breakout bro. Just sayin .

Hey Mark, what exactly did it take to mount that sissy bar to the Harley side plates?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinman411
Interesting that you have different mirrors than I have on mine from the factory...
Yes mine were rubbish. Horrendous blind spot as mentioned quite simply because they weren't out far enough enough to cover desired field of vision. There are a few small differences for UK spec the indicator lenses being orange on mine as well as the side reflectors on the swing arm (which people keep telling me I should take them off for some reason?).

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-img_0090.jpg  

Last edited by K9F; 02-16-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by 02603SEC
Hey Mark, what exactly did it take to mount that sissy bar to the Harley side plates?
I have the QD bases and the sissy bar, (square bar at base ends) slides right into the square channels on the bases and secures using the base screws as would an OEM part.

The sissy bar is made to fit an 11" wide fender but the BO is 13". This puts the QD plates on a slight vertical cant when the bar is spread with the bases affixed but they slide onto the mount pins with a bit of wiggling. You may want to make up a spreader out of a piece of notched 2 x 4 or somethng to aid in installation. This is just so you don't lose control of the bar, which is springy, and end up scratching your fender during installation. This jury fitting works fine if you're spreading a 30" bar from 11" at the base to 13" but I expect that the shorter the bar you put on, the more difficult the installation would be, if you could do it at all.

Last edited by HKMark23; 02-16-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:19 AM
Vinman411
Tourer

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by K9F
Yes mine were rubbish. Horrendous blind spot as mentioned quite simply because they weren't out far enough enough to cover desired field of vision. There are a few small differences for UK spec the indicator lenses being orange on mine as well as the side reflectors on the swing arm (which people keep telling me I should take them off for some reason?).
They guy who sold me mine at the dealership said most everyone takes those reflectors off as soon as they can. I would think that if you were in an accident and someone said they didn't see you and somehow the insurance guy knew the reflectors were gone that insurance minght not pay...so mine are staying put

Old 02-16-2018, 07:11 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinman411
They guy who sold me mine at the dealership said most everyone takes those reflectors off as soon as they can. I would think that if you were in an accident and someone said they didn't see you and somehow the insurance guy knew the reflectors were gone that insurance minght not pay...so mine are staying put
You could review your DMV regulations with respect to reflector requirements. If a MV is being "legally" operated, I doubt an Insurance Co. could get out of their contract.

New York

Every motorcycle shall have adequate brakes in good working order to control the motorcycle at all times. Motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1971 shall be equipped with brakes acting both on the front and rear wheels.
All motorcycles must have the following equipment: a bell, horn, or other device for signaling; at least 1 red reflector attached to the rear, 1 red or amber stop lamp, and shall, whenever the motorcycle is being operated, display 1 lighted lamp either white or yellow in color, visible for at least 200 feet on the front and 1 red light on the rear visible for at least 300 feet.
No motorcycle shall be operated with handlebars or grips more than the height of the operator’s shoulders.
No person may operate a motorcycle without a helmet, goggles, or a face shield, and a rearview mirror so adjusted that the driver has a clear view of the road and condition of traffic behind such motorcycle.
A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached, shall not carry any other person unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than 1 person, and shall ride only when sitting astride the seat, facing forward with 1 leg on each side of the motorcycle.
No person shall operate a motorcycle while carrying any article which prevents him from keeping both hands on the handlebars.
No person riding upon a motorcycle shall attach themselves or the motorcycle to any other vehicle or streetcar on a roadway.

As far as someone "claiming" they didn't see you,,,, thats a pretty standard excuse. People have claimed that after plowing into police cars with wig-wags ablaze.

Last edited by HKMark23; 02-16-2018 at 07:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bearfan (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Vinman411
Tourer

You could review your DMV regulations with respect to reflector requirements. If a MV is being "legally" operated, I doubt an Insurance Co. could get out of their contract.

New York

Every motorcycle shall have adequate brakes in good working order to control the motorcycle at all times. Motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1971 shall be equipped with brakes acting both on the front and rear wheels.
All motorcycles must have the following equipment: a bell, horn, or other device for signaling; at least 1 red reflector attached to the rear, 1 red or amber stop lamp, and shall, whenever the motorcycle is being operated, display 1 lighted lamp either white or yellow in color, visible for at least 200 feet on the front and 1 red light on the rear visible for at least 300 feet.
No motorcycle shall be operated with handlebars or grips more than the height of the operator’s shoulders.
No person may operate a motorcycle without a helmet, goggles, or a face shield, and a rearview mirror so adjusted that the driver has a clear view of the road and condition of traffic behind such motorcycle.
A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached, shall not carry any other person unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than 1 person, and shall ride only when sitting astride the seat, facing forward with 1 leg on each side of the motorcycle.
No person shall operate a motorcycle while carrying any article which prevents him from keeping both hands on the handlebars.
No person riding upon a motorcycle shall attach themselves or the motorcycle to any other vehicle or streetcar on a roadway.

As far as someone "claiming" they didn't see you,,,, thats a pretty standard excuse. People have claimed that after plowing into police cars with wig-wags ablaze.
I guess that answers that question, thank you!

Old 02-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Vinman411
Tourer

New York

Good info

Last edited by Vinman411; 02-16-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 02-16-2018, 02:53 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

I have the QD bases and the sissy bar, (square bar at base ends) slides right into the square channels on the bases and secures using the base screws as would an OEM part.

The sissy bar is made to fit an 11" wide fender but the BO is 13". This puts the QD plates on a slight vertical cant when the bar is spread with the bases affixed but they slide onto the mount pins with a bit of wiggling. You may want to make up a spreader out of a piece of notched 2 x 4 or somethng to aid in installation. This is just so you don't lose control of the bar, which is springy, and end up scratching your fender during installation. This jury fitting works fine if you're spreading a 30" bar from 11" at the base to 13" but I expect that the shorter the bar you put on, the more difficult the installation would be, if you could do it at all.
Great, so it is a bolt in. I just have to set up the bench vise with the plastic jaws and do some bending, Thanks again. As far as reflectors go, they are not going back on the bike.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Vinman411
Tourer

Originally Posted by K9F
I looked at these as the black ones with the red adjuster would look quite cool on my red CVO whilst reducing the reach on longer journeys. The company who manufacture these are only just up the road from me too. If I do pull the trigger I'll let you know. I did shell out on some Rizoma Tomok mirrors, not cheap but what price does one put on quality? They got rid of the large blind spot offered by the original mirrors in the first picture.
FYI, the clutch lever was easy, the brake lever was a little more in depth, you have to take the switch cover off and loosen the master cylinder assembly to get the old one out and the new one in, oh, and take the mirror and turn signal off

Old 02-17-2018, 02:14 AM
billybarou
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ruff idle, possible fix

So if you have a problem with your Breakout Igling ruff and speeometer not always working and eng. lt coming on sometimes. Well I had those issues and read on a thread here somewhere that it might be the speed sensor. Well it was correct. I replaced it, on a 2013 the sp. sensor is just under the starter. So gettin to it is a bitch, I removed the rear wheel and got after it from the back. I bought a code reader that hooks up to my phone but it didn't read what needs to be replaced just error codes with no help. lucky this thread is here cuz thats where I got my answer. so anyway I replaced it ( I didnt clean it first as was suggested cuz I don't wanna take it apart again.) but it worked. Bike's back in action and I saved myself about $300.00 bucks doin it myself.
If you replace yours it's not a hard project but remember to note the turns on backin out the rear axel alignment bolts.
good luck and good ridin!

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread