Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:38 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by BiKenG
I'll take that bet. Easy way to make a dollar
OK Bro, we're on, (and the offer is closed ). If there's a 2020 HD Breakout you win.

FWIW, I plan on donating 100 % of my winnings to charity.

The following users liked this post:
02603SEC (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 06:17 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 02603SEC
Half the parts on my bike "don't fit" the Breakout. I have found a ton of great info here, you were the one that got me thinking about the fork spacers when you first installed your's. I tried to fit the Superbrace to my 2017, but they changed something, it hit the fender before going down far enough to clamp on the lowers. They were supposed to contact me when they fixed it, but maybe they did not bother. Thanks for all the info.
Sorry to hear that bro. I can say the clearance between my fender and brace is darn small, but its there. There are clearly visible machine marks on the under surface of those braces anyway. I would think they could remove an extra smidge without much difficulty, so long as it wasn't a lot.

Though I prefer the brace either way, I originally went to it because I experienced an occasional tiny intermittent wobble, "not the death wobble", after installing the 2" extensions. If you don't experience this, your need for a brace isn't like mine was. If you do experience it, and the clearance issue appears very small, I'd entertain re-ordering the brace and taking it to a machine shop for a haircut. I've had a local machine shop do things like this for me and they didn't even hand me a bill the task was so small to them. Thats why I'm thinking the SuperBrace people should be so willing to do it if they knew how much to shave. Mine clears the fender by not much more than a 16th. The lowers, fender and brace all move in unison, of course, and when mounted the brace is rock solid so 1/16 or 1/2,, its all the same.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Poker_face
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K9F
Different tuner but same bike and pipes. Agree about the output sound!
Thanks guys, that's pretty much the way I was leaning. I think the pipes in black will accent the color pretty well, as it does on pretty much any color breakout if you carry the black throughout.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Poker_face
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Just to reconfirm what many others have already stated, installing apes on your BO is absolutely transformational. People are split on the aesthetics of apes, but if you're partial to em, I'd suggest doing that mod before changing seats.

I've installed apes and a 30" sissy bar. For occasional overnight (or longer) trips, a roll top dry-bag is just what the doctor ordered. A 65 liter (17 gal) dry-bag sits nicely on the stock pillion with the roll clipped around the top section of the sissy bar. A single bungee around the base of the bag at the base of the bar is all you need to secure the bag in place. A 65 liter bag holds a lot of stuff, removes for carry in a split second, and when packed makes a convenient backrest. The bag is a cheap option and, with the bar, actually complements the ape style BO better than "most" other storage options I've seen. A black rubberized bag with a black bungee looks good installed.

Its freezing here too and unfortunately, I don't have a pic with the dry-bag installed but otherwise, here is my current setup:

As you can see, I have a swing arm bag and a small sissy bar bag as well.

If you're into the look, this is one comfy and seriously easy handling Breakout bro. Just sayin .

Thanks Mark, that's some great detail to work off of. It seems like there are few good choices for quick detach saddle bags unless I want to spend a fortune on genuine HD bags. All the others seem to have their drawbacks. If I can just do a luggage setup as you described on the pillion and luggage rack, I think that would be my preference. I don't travel far enough often enough to really need the bags.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Poker_face
2nd Gear

A question for those that have installed an LED brake light...because I bought a U.S. with brake light integrated in the turn signals, it doesn't meet Canadian standards of having an "independent" brake light. I ordered an LED strip light to mount under the back fender and it's due to arrive later this week. I have the back fender apart and sitting on my kitchen counter. Just trying to envision how to run the wires up to tie into the signal light wires. The obvious place to splice seems to be fairly far forward as the wires are already exposed from the side rails. Any thoughts or suggestions? There has to be a good clean way to do this.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:34 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Sorry to hear that bro. I can say the clearance between my fender and brace is darn small, but its there. There are clearly visible machine marks on the under surface of those braces anyway. I would think they could remove an extra smidge without much difficulty, so long as it wasn't a lot.

Though I prefer the brace either way, I originally went to it because I experienced an occasional tiny intermittent wobble, "not the death wobble", after installing the 2" extensions. If you don't experience this, your need for a brace isn't like mine was. If you do experience it, and the clearance issue appears very small, I'd entertain re-ordering the brace and taking it to a machine shop for a haircut. I've had a local machine shop do things like this for me and they didn't even hand me a bill the task was so small to them. Thats why I'm thinking the SuperBrace people should be so willing to do it if they knew how much to shave. Mine clears the fender by not much more than a 16th. The lowers, fender and brace all move in unison, of course, and when mounted the brace is rock solid so 1/16 or 1/2,, its all the same.
My problem was that with the brace sitting on the fender, it was only half way over the side of the chrome cover. Meaning the top half of the clamping surface of the brace in contact with air, I would have to drill new holes in the fender and lower it about 1/2" I did not really want to do that.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:37 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Poker_face
A question for those that have installed an LED brake light...because I bought a U.S. with brake light integrated in the turn signals, it doesn't meet Canadian standards of having an "independent" brake light. I ordered an LED strip light to mount under the back fender and it's due to arrive later this week. I have the back fender apart and sitting on my kitchen counter. Just trying to envision how to run the wires up to tie into the signal light wires. The obvious place to splice seems to be fairly far forward as the wires are already exposed from the side rails. Any thoughts or suggestions? There has to be a good clean way to do this.
I bought mine out under the seat and spliced right at the left and right plugs.

Poker_face (01-13-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:34 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 02603SEC
My problem was that with the brace sitting on the fender, it was only half way over the side of the chrome cover. Meaning the top half of the clamping surface of the brace in contact with air, I would have to drill new holes in the fender and lower it about 1/2" I did not really want to do that.
Gotcha bro, yea thats a lot of adjusting and even if you could drop the fender that far it might pickle you for changing to a different tire brand if you wanted to at some point. I know my E3 120 front tire clears the fender by less than the 130 OEM tire did.

02603SEC (01-08-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 02:51 AM
pnyryd
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with tuner

I just bought my first ever brand new (Vehicle/Bike), in July. I bought a 2017 Laguna Orange Breakout. I have wanted one of these since they were first debuted. The Hard Candy Chrome one was the choice at the time, but just couldn't capitalize on it back then. So here I am 4 years later and finally got the chance to buy the bike I've wanted for the past few years. So enough of the backstory. Now that I have this new bike, I am starting to purchase stuff to make it my own. The trouble I am having is with the decision of what tuner is best. I keep leaning towards the Thunder-Max, as it constantly maps, reads and makes adjustment on the fly. Basically, set it and forget it. Reason, is I don't want to have to keep re-flashing it or upgrading or having to possibly buy a new tuner every time I do a performance mod on my bike. I know the pipes I am going to run and air cleaner, but am looking for the best tuner for the buck with adjust-ability as well, and of course the cheapest or biggest bang for the buck, if you get what I mean. So please all help and suggestions are very helpful and what I am looking for. And please tell me your set up so I can get an idea on what or why you chose the tuner you did. All your help etc, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited by pnyryd; 01-14-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:16 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

^^^Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum. Nice choice of bike, my dealer still has an unsold Laguna Orange Breakout too on this side of the pond. Quite often it is human nature to profess what you have fitted to your machine is the best. There are obviously many different tuners out there and unless you are prepared to possibly compromise your warranty there is only one 'approved tuner' you can fit. There is a wealth of information already on the forum regarding tuners, warranty etc. This thread is not really the place to go dragging this emotive (for some) and continuing conundrum up on. As stated the information you seek is already here, use the search facility.

Last edited by K9F; 01-14-2018 at 04:02 AM.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread