Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:17 PM
RadarRat
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Took my Breakout to 14,000 plus feet

All this talk of new bikes is driving me nuts. H-D made a business decision. Personally I really like the direction they went with the Fat Boy and Fat Bob, the others are ok, and they fumbled with the Breakout. So to celebrate my awesome "old" Breakout, put about 230 miles on her today with a friend and rode to the top of Mt. Evans. Can't do that with a 3.5 gallon tank!

Took them up well above tree line. Bike pulled hard with its new SE 50 mm throttle body, 204 cams, and SE billet cam plate and oil pump. Stopped in Idaho Springs for lunch and a beer. Beautiful Colorado day.

Last edited by RadarRat; 08-28-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Odinbreakout9
They will definitely fit! I almost went that route (hated sliding on the seat)... then picked up the Fred Kodlin seat by Mustang. Love it!!
That's a good looking seat! I see they have 2 material offerings. One with Alcantara inserts and one like yours with leather. Not sure which one I like more, any feedback on that choice? Are those the Trask Moto bars on your scoot? How have they been, have to change cables or hoses with them?

Last edited by HenryT; 08-28-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:48 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessica Sinclair
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...kout-2013-2017

$450 is pretty steep for a solo seat
And worth every penny. Very comfortable and your butt is staying put. And you don't have to look at anymore bolts

Last edited by 02603SEC; 08-28-2017 at 07:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 02603SEC:
Jessica Sinclair (08-29-2017), Odinbreakout9 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:59 PM
Odinbreakout9
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
That's a good looking seat! I see they have 2 material offerings. One with Alcantara inserts and one like yours with leather. Not sure which one I like more, any feedback on that choice? Are those the Trask Moto bars on your scoot? How have they been, have to change cables or hoses with them?
Yeah, I went with this material choice because I am not a fan of the suede looking one. The seat is insanely comfortable for the minimal padding that it has. I am only 5'7" with a 29" inseam. The front of the seat is a little bit wider than the stock seat. I had to lower my bike to 2" from the 1.5" I originally put on for a little better comfort. The extra width however, is so much better for the long haul. The added back support pushed me forward about 1". The seat sits about 1" lower. Gave me ever so slightly more bend in the knee. Feet stay planted on the pegs better now. There is a lot I would rave about in terms of this seat. One and only downfall I have..... The cut the pan to be SOOO tight to the frame that the material that wraps around the bottom rubs in a couple spots. It is now starting to get some micro tears. I have had it for about 8 months. I am not overly worried about it. I was pretty sure I was going to recover it with my own design down the road anyway. At which point, I will shave the fiberglass in the spots where I see the material is showing wear.

Yes they are the trask bars. They are 2" shorter in width. About 3" higher in rise. The pull back is about pretty close to the same. I really can't stand risers. (T-bars I think look even worse). I picked up the stubby risers from thunderbike to retain my top clamp (already had everything powdercoated). It was SLIGHTLY cheaper than buying the CVO set up, but hardly. If the banjo on the master was a 45 or a 30, the brake line would have worked perfectly fine. However, because of the angle in the bars and the 90 degree banjo, it left the brake line at its absolute limit. Not something I am ok with losing while riding. I picked up the abs fitting and line from Magnum Shielding in the same color as my cvo dash vent lines. About 120 I think for the 2 parts. Then of course if you are ABS, you'll have to pay harley to bleed the ABS module as I also had to. All the other lines work perfect. I did reroute the clutch cable while I was at it so it would hug the frame better, I did not like how it sticks out at the front from stock. The bars still leave me leaning forward a little bit which is personally how I like to ride, but the decrease in width made a huge difference. The amount of control is so much better than those stock beach bars. My thunderbike torque headlight flows very nicely with them as well.

The following users liked this post:
HenryT (08-28-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 03:40 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 135 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm saving up to get that seat it looks to hold me and keep me ... the danny gray one will pull me back 1 inch i dont think it will be for me because i am only 5'8".

I think Danny Gray is for people who are over 6' I made another terrible choice i bought a Lepara solo reach seat but it pushed me 2" or more inches forward ... too far forward and it feels i am sitting on top of a fuel tank.

I could get that seat modified locally will probably be cheaper ...

Old 08-31-2017, 12:25 PM
wedgemoose
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering if any of you guys figured out some 2018 breakout stuff?

It looks like new tires???(if so, I can say "Finally!!!"

And what do you think about those new forks? Any chance they bolt on to ours???

The tires is my biggest hope. They seem to same size but can't see any pics to show if they are different than our Stock Dunlop's.

Edit:

After a little investigating I see Harley has the rear on their site under parts. No front tire though. But it looks like they are the same 130/60-21. Might finally be able to get a better brand front tire that's the correct size. But don't know why it's not listed yet? I could be wrong I guess. That's why i'm wondering if any of you pro's was looking into this?

Last edited by wedgemoose; 09-01-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Teddy Vedder
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgemoose

The tires is my biggest hope. They seem to same size but can't see any pics to show if they are different than our Stock Dunlop's.

Edit:

After a little investigating I see Harley has the rear on their site under parts. No front tire though. But it looks like they are the same 130/60-21. Might finally be able to get a better brand front tire that's the correct size. But don't know why it's not listed yet? I could be wrong I guess. That's why i'm wondering if any of you pro's was looking into this?
Just go get the Metzelers and never look back. It's like riding a completely different bike after that.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:09 AM
Odinbreakout9
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgemoose

Edit:

The new tires are Michelin's instead of Dunlop's. The 130/60-21 isn't exactly the "correct size". The 120/70-21 performs significantly better as it has a more rounded profile. Not to mention it is slightly taller and looks much better in the fender as well. Just because Harley sells the bike with the 130 doesn't mean it's the appropriate tire for the bike. With the said; the Michelin's are certainly better than the Dunlop's. However, there are far better options as well. Dunlop E3, Michelin Commander II, Avon Cobra, Pirelli Night Dragon and the Metzeler 888 or 880 all seem to be the better tires among the boards.

In regards to the forks... Almost every part is different; the internals, the forks, the sliders, most everything. Pretty much the only similarly is the overall look of them almost looks the same, and the fact that they are still 49mm. Whether the width of the tree is exactly the same or not; I do not know. But if it is, you could mount the entire front end in the original breakout trees if you desired.

The only issue is you really aren't gaining much for the expense...

The new forks use a dual bending valve with a slightly stiffer spring, and has a different axle. You can greatly improve the suspension for 15% of what this front end would cost by just simply doing the fork upgrade as outlined in the sticky. And that upgrade will outperform the stock 2018 suspension as well.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 135 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey guys a Honda shop ordered Metzeler for a V rod customer but he never came to pick it up? ... but it's a 260 mm rear tire and i can get it dirt cheap but my question is i have legend air suspension when fully deflated there are hardly any room on both sides between the tire and the rear fender ... do you think it will fit on my bike? I know people say it will fit but will it really fit with lowered suspension?

Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 AM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessica Sinclair
Hey guys a Honda shop ordered Metzeler for a V rod customer but he never came to pick it up? ... but it's a 260 mm rear tire and i can get it dirt cheap but my question is i have legend air suspension when fully deflated there are hardly any room on both sides between the tire and the rear fender ... do you think it will fit on my bike? I know people say it will fit but will it really fit with lowered suspension?
Yes, it will fit. Barely, but it will indeed fit.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread