Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Odinbreakout9
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler13
That's kinda worth the money. How or where did you find these part numbers so I can do some research too.
http://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

Surdyke typically has the best prices for everything except general hardware.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:15 PM
kaisers81
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you Odin!!!

The following users liked this post:
Odinbreakout9 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 06:56 PM
indobos72
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Odinbreakout9
Did some more research and the digital handlebar gauge should be doable. Pre '18 speedo uses a 12 pin plug with only 5 wires going into it and the '18 speedo uses a 6 pin plug also with only 5 wires. Because these bikes are both BCM the speedos need no programming to work (just plug them in). The only thing left for you to do is to view a '18 service manual to repin the 6 pin plug correctly. Oh, and a bunch of parts of course.

Instrument gauge - 70900651 - $172.82 Surdyke
6 pin plug - 69201162 - $6.04 Harley
Terminal socket x5 - 69200307 - $2.55 Harley
Screw x4 - 8679 - $10.24 Harley
Screw x4 - 10200616 - $4.84 Harley
Top Clamp - 55900105 - $40.10 Surdyke
Risers - 55900102 - $124.82 Surdyke

Total $361.41 for this project. Harley dealer prices may vary depending on your dealer. Hope this helps.

As far as my preference of using the fatbob gauge. They are both using 12 pin plugs with 5 wires, just need to make sure they are pinned the same.
Instrument gauge - 70900703 - $172.82 Surdyke
Odinbreakout9,
I was thinking about this option for my 2016 FXSB. I really liked the cleanliness of the speedo on the 2018. Does this parts list include everything? Any help appreciated.

Edit: I also wonder if the risers are the same height on the 2016 vs 2018.

Thanks,

Last edited by indobos72; 08-27-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Odinbreakout9
Advanced

Originally Posted by indobos72
Odinbreakout9,
I was thinking about this option for my 2016 FXSB. I really liked the cleanliness of the speedo on the 2018. Does this parts list include everything? Any help appreciated.

Edit: I also wonder if the risers are the same height on the 2016 vs 2018.

Thanks,
The risers appear to be the same height between the generations. I assume the layout is a little different to accommodate the gauge fitting between them. The other difference is the riser bolt. The M8 style is double threaded with a nut on the bottom instead of strictly being a through bolt. I personally can't stand a double threaded bolt. The original riser bolt may or may not have the same threads. If not, I would suggest going to a hardware store and picking up one that will work on the new risers instead of using the double threaded bolt. Just personal preference of course, but to each their own. Harley is reusing multiple handlebars that are already in production (which makes sense). My ASSUMPTION is that the riser bolt spacing is the same as it always has been (except for the springer). However, I could always measure a set to be certain.

So, with exception of the difference in riser bolt threads which I cannot determine without the bolts in hand. All the parts listed should be the only parts needed. I tried to make sure it was complete because I knew it would be of question.

indobos72 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 PM
indobos72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Odinbreakout9
The risers appear to be the same height between the generations. I assume the layout is a little different to accommodate the gauge fitting between them. The other difference is the riser bolt. The M8 style is double threaded with a nut on the bottom instead of strictly being a through bolt. I personally can't stand a double threaded bolt. The original riser bolt may or may not have the same threads. If not, I would suggest going to a hardware store and picking up one that will work on the new risers instead of using the double threaded bolt. Just personal preference of course, but to each their own. Harley is reusing multiple handlebars that are already in production (which makes sense). My ASSUMPTION is that the riser bolt spacing is the same as it always has been (except for the springer). However, I could always measure a set to be certain.

So, with exception of the difference in riser bolt threads which I cannot determine without the bolts in hand. All the parts listed should be the only parts needed. I tried to make sure it was complete because I knew it would be of question.
Thanks for the prompt response Odin. I guess I asked the wrong question. (read: lack of sleep). I see that the riser looks the same, but differ in part numbers. I was asking because I already ordered a set of 16" apes and just ordered the CVO risers and speedo cup, since I didn't think these were available yet. Going with this option was the direction I wanted, but couldn't find any info as you have. Again, greatly appreciated. I guess I would need to physically look at a 2018 instead of just fiche pics to see how much the risers differ and if the '18 risers would look good with the apes. Ii would be nice if there wqere any images of the '18 to compare.

Thanks,

Old 08-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Odinbreakout9
Advanced

Originally Posted by indobos72
Thanks for the prompt response Odin. I guess I asked the wrong question. (read: lack of sleep). I see that the riser looks the same, but differ in part numbers. I was asking because I already ordered a set of 16" apes and just ordered the CVO risers and speedo cup, since I didn't think these were available yet. Going with this option was the direction I wanted, but couldn't find any info as you have. Again, greatly appreciated. I guess I would need to physically look at a 2018 instead of just fiche pics to see how much the risers differ and if the '18 risers would look good with the apes. Ii would be nice if there wqere any images of the '18 to compare.

Thanks,
The handlebars you purchased come with the CVO risers and speedo cup (which uses shorter risers than the standard breakout). The CVO speedo cup is part of the risers with a top clamp. Whereas the standard breakout has risers and the speedo cup is part of the top clamp. Neither set of risers that will work with the digital speedo top clamp (thus the new part number for the risers that WILL work). There are a few people around here that have put apes on their standard breakouts without switching to the CVO riser/top clamp set up (that comes in your kit). That would be your best option to see if you like the way it looks. Forget about the speedo in this picture and try to focus only on the bar and riser combination. That is essentially what it will look like.

One final note to point out is the speedo harness from the '18 vs the '17 and down. It may or may not be the correct length needed to do the swap. It's easy enough to make your own. (1 6 pin connector on each end with 5 wires cut to whatever length your bike needs)

I feel this should have just been a separate thread.

indobos72 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 PM
indobos72
Intermediate

Thanks again Odin. I contemplated just keeping the stock BO riser and top clamp. But I prefer to have the handlebars inline with the forks. So it appears that I will keep the CVO option. But this is great info and you've clarified allot to assist anyone else who doesn't mind the look and is going this direction. Gotta love this forum and the pool of resources. Thanks again and ride safe.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:12 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Finished the 124 motor Saturday.
10.8 to 1 hot set up kit from S&S
640 gear drive cams/superstock heads
Tc3 oil pump and plate
Se58 tb
Hpi 5.3 injectors
R&R overflow ac and backing plate
Oil cooler/ hd
Barnett scorpion clutch assembly. Pics are sidways woops

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-1503892876642-623284939.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-17632.jpeg   The Everything Breakout Thread-0827171607.jpg  

Last edited by cdonis; 08-27-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts
Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis
Finished the 124 motor Saturday.
10.8 to 1 hot set up kit from S&S
640 gear drive cams/superstock heads
Tc3 oil pump and plate
Se58 tb
Hpi 5.3 injectors
R&R overflow ac and backing plate
Oil cooler/ hd
Barnett scorpion clutch assembly. Pics are sidways woops
ot sure if you done it, but have you swapped out your final front and rear pulluy's?
Betting that set up there could get you close to a 10 sec. finish at a drag

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread