Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:19 PM
Curt Ehrhart
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the gasket for cracks. Mine did develop some when I looked. Also, you can not reuse the same ten screws they held that panel on. They are one time use due to that plastic washer on them. Make sure you get ten new ones.

Originally Posted by Sean C. Boynton
Morning All!

I put the blackline console on this AM...yes...this AM. It looks great, BUT when I pulled the original plate off, there was gas under the gasket. Enough that it was running down my tank. The electric line and loom was wet (with gas obvs), and when I dried off the pump it got wet again. It was not coming from the lines in or out, it was coming from the other end of the pump...but I couldn't tell exactly where. Pardon my ignorance here, but I believe it was the fuel filter side. I know it is hard to tell without actual pics...but I didn't think about posting the Q at the time...so I found one online. The side showing in the pic (with the green gasket) was the side that was wet.

Wanted to check here to see if it is a potentially easy fix that is not worth a trip to the dealership (because it is still under warranty).

Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 AM
wedgemoose
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
The E3's are a single compound tire. I don't know what the construction of the stock 240 Dunlop is. The stock 130 front tire is a "bias" belted tire, the front E3 120 is a radial. What I do know is that I got barely 5000 mi out of my stock Dunlop 240 and slightly more than 5000 mi out of my first E3 250. I'm on my second. Handling is where the E3 250 shone for me. Maneuverability and "stickiness" / stability are markedly better with the E3 over stock. These tires share the Dunlop name but otherwise are quite obviously different if my perceptions as well as those of others means anything at all.

As to other brands; claims are they are even better and I don't doubt this when claims come from folks who have tried both. Pirelli, for instance, are commonly known to be high performance rubber and I have no doubt they perform better than an E3, Avons,,, maybe, Metzeler,,,, I doubt it, but ALL are reportedly a big improvement over the millstone stock Dunlop 240.

Riding styles matter. As tempted as I am to discover "better" tires, the E3 Dunlops are such good value up here in Canada, compared to European rubber; and since my most aggressive riding style is clearly no match for E3 capabilities anyway, I'm loath to pay 30% more for premium tire performance I'll never use or need. Indications are that other brands won't justify a 30% + cost premium based on wear alone. FYI, I've installed straight pegs and a 2" fork extension on my Breakout and still occasionally drag my heels in corners as the E3's stick to the road like **** to a blanket. Metzelers are viable economically but ,,,,"nope",, and I'll leave you to your own research for an assessment on Metzeler.

Everybody has opinions on tires. I've found my "happy point" in price and performance with Dunlop E3's and would only go back to a stock Dunlop 240 if there were absolutely no other tires of any brand for sale and then only to sell the bike. They are that bad IMHO.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Tyler13
I've been able to put a few hundred miles on my new Avon Cobras and so far so good. I was skeptical about the "big difference" new tires would make but, now that I've tried them I can say that it's true. I'm not very technical with tire and suspension terms but it just feels better and different than with the stock tires.

Thanks both. I was actually thinking Avons but didn't see many people mentioning them. But if the Dunlops are good and a decent price might have to try those instead. I only get 3000 out of mine. Been through 3 sets of the junk, stock, Dunlop's already and hate them. Only reason is, I was so afraid to change our front tire size. But not anymore. I'm sick of the stockers so making the move. Thanks for the info men. it's real nice to be able to get real life use opinions.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:49 PM
BreakoutBearGA
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone ever try these on their Breakout? I'm tempted but curious about other's experiences with them.

https://shop.thunderbike.de/en/Thund...=TB-41-99-1223

Old 07-25-2017, 05:10 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by BreakoutBearGA
Anyone ever try these on their Breakout? I'm tempted but curious about other's experiences with them.

I can see one pretty big problem with them: visibility. They (a) tiny and (b) positioned so that when your hand is on the left or right grip, the signal will NOT be visible to any cager positioned to the left or right respectively of that grip. Since cagers' inability to see us bikers is the number one cause of car-motorcycle collisions, I'd pass on this setup.

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
BreakoutBearGA (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:52 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

While they look pretty custom, I'd agree with jim G.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I can see one pretty big problem with them: visibility. They (a) tiny and (b) positioned so that when your hand is on the left or right grip, the signal will NOT be visible to any cager positioned to the left or right respectively of that grip. Since cagers' inability to see us bikers is the number one cause of car-motorcycle collisions, I'd pass on this setup.

Jim G
Jim's right, I installed similar, Tru-Flex LEDs on my Rocker.....I love the stealthy look, and they're fine from the front, but other then some reflection off my chrome front end, the lights themselves are basically invisible from the sides...

Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 PM
BreakoutBearGA
2nd Gear

Very nice bike! Thanks for putting a visual to these style of signals too.
And thank you all for the replies.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 PM
Odinbreakout9
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Very nice bike! Thanks for putting a visual to these style of signals too.
And thank you all for the replies.
I run those thunderbike signals on mine. Most people say they are brighter than they expected. I picked up a dual intensity resistor from custom dynamics to be able to use these as run and turn. Of course they are useless from the side, but really so are most of the turn signals.

BreakoutBearGA (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:50 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

This is my 2017 Breakout with Stage 4 Tire Shredder Kit (stage 5???)

Last edited by Jessica Sinclair; 07-27-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: T
Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM
BreakoutBearGA
2nd Gear

You have a great point there in terms of visibility from the side. I love the look of these! Thank you for posting and for the info on the Custom Dynamics modification.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread