Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:15 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

The Dunlop website fails to show the WEIGHT of the Elite 3 in the 240 width (because in the case of the Elite 3 it is nothing to boast about), but Dennis Kirk identifies it on their website. It is 21.75 lb. This is very heavy. It's actually about 32% heavier than the Pirelli Diablo that I am running on my Breakout.

When I put on my first Pirelli 240 after the first stock (Dunlop) tire was just partially worn (because the Dunlop felt so bad to me), I described it here on the forum at the time "like my bike lost its concrete overshoes". 32% more weight, right at the periphery of a wheel, is a huge moment of inertia penalty to pay.

BUT, I understand that the Dunlop Elite 3 is supposed to last a lot longer than my Pirelli. I think that's because the Dunlop has a lot more carcass weight and a rubber compound that focuses more on mileage than on traction. If I were touring, and if I did not value sticky traction for safety reasons, maybe I'd buy an Elite 3 to save some money. But since I value the riding experience and my safety more, and I put on only maybe 3000 miles per year, I continue to go with the Pirelli, because in terms of nimbleness, it's on a different PLANET than the Dunlop.

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
The Dunlop website fails to show the WEIGHT of the Elite 3 in the 240 width (because in the case of the Elite 3 it is nothing to boast about), but Dennis Kirk identifies it on their website. It is 21.75 lb. This is very heavy. It's actually about 32% heavier than the Pirelli Diablo that I am running on my Breakout.

When I put on my first Pirelli 240 after the first stock (Dunlop) tire was just partially worn (because the Dunlop felt so bad to me), I described it here on the forum at the time "like my bike lost its concrete overshoes". 32% more weight, right at the periphery of a wheel, is a huge moment of inertia penalty to pay.

BUT, I understand that the Dunlop Elite 3 is supposed to last a lot longer than my Pirelli. I think that's because the Dunlop has a lot more carcass weight and a rubber compound that focuses more on mileage than on traction. If I were touring, and if I did not value sticky traction for safety reasons, maybe I'd buy an Elite 3 to save some money. But since I value the riding experience and my safety more, and I put on only maybe 3000 miles per year, I continue to go with the Pirelli, because in terms of nimbleness, it's on a different PLANET than the Dunlop.

Jim G
Thanx Jim.

You have ridden the E3 then and it was like concrete overshoes compared to the Pirelli ? I've gotten slightly more wear out of the E3 vs the OEM Dunlop but the difference in that regard isn't big. The difference in handling and ride confidence / comfort on the other hand, is striking. You just ride more aggressively on the E3 vs OEM because,, you can. Maybe the extra weight plus the gyro effect is what makes em so confidence inspiring. I dunno, just speculating.

In my case, I also went to a 250 width vs the 240 OEM. Everything you change makes for some difference I suppose.

Last edited by HKMark23; 05-12-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:09 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Thanx Jim.

You have ridden the E3 then and it was like concrete overshoes compared to the Pirelli ? I've gotten slightly more wear out of the E3 vs the OEM Dunlop but the difference in that regard isn't big. The difference in handling and ride confidence / comfort on the other hand, is striking. You just ride more aggressively on the E3 vs OEM because,, you can. Maybe the extra weight plus the gyro effect is what makes em so confidence inspiring. I dunno, just speculating.

In my case, I also went to a 250 width vs the 240 OEM. Everything you change makes for some difference I suppose.
Correction: My comparison was to the OEM Dunlop that came on my 2014 Breakout. I don't know what model of Dunlop that was - ie. whether it was the E3 model - I did not make a record of it and I cannot remember now. But, I do recall it weighed about what the Elite 3 weighs, because I posted about it at the time (You can probably find my post somewhere on either this Breakout thread or the overall Softail forum). I believe the Pirelli is superior for MY desires because of a combination of weight and profile, but mostly the weight.

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 12:23 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Unless you're trying to carve corners in the rain on a Breakout, I don't think there are any available tires that don't have enough grip to stick a Breakout in its lowest lean angle. Seriously, my rear brake lever and primary have plenty of grinds on them and the very edge of my rear tire is barely scuffed. Granted, I could get a little bit more if I did the front suspension upgrades, but I still wouldn't worry about grip after that.

Tires are always a personal preference. I like getting at least 7k out of my rear E3. The bike handles well with the set and I like the added bonus of the 250 looks.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^ Yeah that

Old 05-12-2017, 02:49 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by UHDhog
Unless you're trying to carve corners in the rain on a Breakout, I don't think there are any available tires that don't have enough grip to stick a Breakout in its lowest lean angle. Seriously, my rear brake lever and primary have plenty of grinds on them and the very edge of my rear tire is barely scuffed. Granted, I could get a little bit more if I did the front suspension upgrades, but I still wouldn't worry about grip after that.

Tires are always a personal preference. I like getting at least 7k out of my rear E3. The bike handles well with the set and I like the added bonus of the 250 looks.
I honestly was so impressed by then compared to the stockers I simple have no need to venture further. You can clearly see a wider band of tread being worn down over time and they're round enough to get all sorts of lean where you need it with little effort.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Tyler13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I just bought a set of Avon Cobras. I'll let you guys know what I think after some good hard riding.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:28 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tyler13
I just bought a set of Avon Cobras. I'll let you guys know what I think after some good hard riding.
I have been running an Avon on the front for a while now, and love it. I cannot remember now if it is the Cobra or the Venom.

After I put it on, after first running the Pirelli Diablo in the REAR for a while already, my first reaction was that the Breakout just lost its 2nd concrete overshoe!

Jim G

Old 05-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

just waiting on my race tech kit for the front and throwing on my metzlers...cant wait to feel the difference!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:10 PM
Airassault
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks worked

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Try and look for some relocations for a Dyna/Wide Glide as they have 49mm fork tubes like the BO. A relocation kit for other Softail forks most likely won't fit.

thanks 😌

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread