Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Airassault
So I just bought my first Harley last week. I purchased a 2015 Harley FXSB. I like the ride and i like the look of the bike. HOWEVER coming from the sport bike world I'm use to working on my own bike. I'm trying to put apes on my bike right now. I've been reading these forums for the past few weeks and I think I got the ape hangers all figured out. Thanks 24v and others.
Now I'm trying to move the signals to the forks. It appears the Harley doesn't make a signal relocation for the breakout. I saw a thread that said someone used the relocation from a rocker however they didn't post part number. I also looked for the switch that was supposedly under the seat and couldn't find it.

Tge breakout is appearing to be a very difficult bike to find parts for. WHY is beyond me and the people at my harley dealership don't seem to know as much as I do about them either. It's starting to suck. If I stick it out with this bike I swear I'm posting everything to YouTube.
On the right side of your bike under the tank, you will find a 6pin molex connector. It is the same harness used on any other softail that does not have handlebar mounted turn signals. You will have to remove the tank to access this connection.

See if you can get just that harness then splice what you need to that. Find a service manual that shows your color codes so you can properly wire it. It's either that or cut the wires in the handlebar controls that go to the turn signals, then run and splice a wire inside the handlebars to reach where you located the signals to.

Last edited by UHDhog; 05-07-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Airassault
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool

Originally Posted by UHDhog
On the right side of your bike under the tank, you will find a 6pin molex connector. It is the same harness used on any other softail that does not have handlebar mounted turn signals. You will have to remove the tank to access this connection.

See if you can get just that harness then splice what you need to that. Find a service manual that shows your color codes so you can properly wire it. It's either that or cut the wires in the handlebar controls that go to the turn signals, then run and splice a wire inside the handlebars to reach where you located the signals to.

so I'll go ahead and pull the tank off but what I still don't know is WHICH relocation bracket for turn signals work on the breakout forks. I've seen some guys drop them all the way down on the frame. I'm just looking to move them to the forks.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:05 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Airassault
so I'll go ahead and pull the tank off but what I still don't know is WHICH relocation bracket for turn signals work on the breakout forks. I've seen some guys drop them all the way down on the frame. I'm just looking to move them to the forks.
Try and look for some relocations for a Dyna/Wide Glide as they have 49mm fork tubes like the BO. A relocation kit for other Softail forks most likely won't fit.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 AM
bodgie1307
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default tree chroming

Originally Posted by Hunter5179
Bearings will not be affected. They stay on the stem.
Hunter does this apply if your chroming the trees or will bearing need to be removed ?

I assume if bearing has to be removed then ill have to replace so can i get the cups out without the factory tool as in manual ?

Old 05-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Paul Dennis
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a question. I have done the front suspension upgrade as explained by L.A.Dog and changed the tyres also to Pirelli night dragons, the bike feels really good to ride and cornering is so much better, I have a slight concern that when i had the tyres fitted the shop mugged me off, as I noticed the front balancing weights had been took off, and none added with the new tyre, now at slow speed it feels great but when I get upto 65 mph and beyond the bike feels like its got a wobble, I can see my headlight reflection on the road shaking up and down and feel it through my hands, I asked the guy at the shop why it had no new wheel weights added, and he told me that there is a mark on the tyre and if lined up correctly it doesn't need balancing, now unless Iv'e missed something here i think that isn't right. I've never had a tyre fitted before without balancing... what are your thoughts on this anyone here a tyre fitter and can tell me if this is true. I'm gonna shoot down to my locl Harley dealer and see if they will stick it on the wheel balancer and check it, as when i bought the bike it did have quite a bit of lead stuck on the rim.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:22 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Dennis
I have a question. I have done the front suspension upgrade as explained by L.A.Dog and changed the tyres also to Pirelli night dragons, the bike feels really good to ride and cornering is so much better, I have a slight concern that when i had the tyres fitted the shop mugged me off, as I noticed the front balancing weights had been took off, and none added with the new tyre, now at slow speed it feels great but when I get upto 65 mph and beyond the bike feels like its got a wobble, I can see my headlight reflection on the road shaking up and down and feel it through my hands, I asked the guy at the shop why it had no new wheel weights added, and he told me that there is a mark on the tyre and if lined up correctly it doesn't need balancing, now unless Iv'e missed something here i think that isn't right. I've never had a tyre fitted before without balancing... what are your thoughts on this anyone here a tyre fitter and can tell me if this is true. I'm gonna shoot down to my locl Harley dealer and see if they will stick it on the wheel balancer and check it, as when i bought the bike it did have quite a bit of lead stuck on the rim.
The mark on the tire is there to let the tech know how to position the tire on the wheel. Correct positioning does not necessarily eliminate the need for wheel weights.

The following users liked this post:
Paul Dennis (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:37 PM
UHDhog
Tourer

Originally Posted by Paul Dennis
Get a few bottles of Ride-On tire sealant. It's a hydrodynamic balancing compound and also seals punctures instantly should you get one. I put some in my front tire before and it does indeed balance it. However, the recommended dose for our rear tire was too much and did not allow it to balance properly.

Paul Dennis (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:48 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 404 Likes on 267 Posts

Get a few bottles of Ride-On tire sealant. It's a hydrodynamic balancing compound and also seals punctures instantly should you get one. I put some in my front tire before and it does indeed balance it. However, the recommended dose for our rear tire was too much and did not allow it to balance properly.
The use of any of the liquid balancing products also complicates tire changes. Plus, the weight of the balancing liquid is far higher than that of any wheel weights, which adds unnecessary rotational inertia which hinders both handling and acceleration.

I'd recommend you gte the wheel balanced correctly - and at a shop different than the shop that told you no balance weights are required.

Jim G

Paul Dennis (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
UHDhog
Tourer

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
The use of any of the liquid balancing products also complicates tire changes. Plus, the weight of the balancing liquid is far higher than that of any wheel weights, which adds unnecessary rotational inertia which hinders both handling and acceleration.

I'd recommend you gte the wheel balanced correctly - and at a shop different than the shop that told you no balance weights are required.

Jim G
Quit yelling at me...

Old 05-11-2017, 03:23 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 404 Likes on 267 Posts

Quit yelling at me...
????

Jim G

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread