Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:25 PM
doo925
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcherAve
The length in the pic is 6". I ordered the 7" yesterday and will put it on when I get it then re-post pictures.

I agree with other poster that said it should be a little bigger, but I don't think it should be too much bigger.

Anyone know of any tricks to properly place a tank decal?
7" sounds about right. Now here's the kicker: on a denim grey tank, would a black decal or a white decal look best ? I'm kinda leaning towards black, but would appreciate other opinions.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:43 PM
ArcherAve
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would vote for black. It wouldn't stick out/contrast as much, but I think it will look better.

He has the knockout decals too with two colors, so that's an option too.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:30 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by doo925
7" sounds about right. Now here's the kicker: on a denim grey tank, would a black decal or a white decal look best ? I'm kinda leaning towards black, but would appreciate other opinions.
If you're having one made,,?? How about grey, either lighter or darker than the tank, subtle but discernable might look quite classy.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:51 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

FYI:

Don't use this guy's method for removing pad pins:

The tool you need is an E10 Torx which you'll need to convert to "thin walled" on your bench grinder. The pin has an E10 Torx head and its countersunk.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 AM
ArcherAve
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten a couple PM's about my '16 Breakout, so I thought I'd share with everyone what I did. First of all, I read this forum top to bottom to get ideas, and I got some great ones.

Had a buddy of mine paint the tins. I didn't like the gloss of the vivid black, but I think the denim paint is too matte (I'm picky), so I had him paint them matte black, but not too matte. I'm thinking with the clear coat it will dull a little more too.

-Powder Coated the primary cover, fender struts, middle console, and other random parts. Personally I like the look of blacking out the stock console vs the blackline dash.

-Heartlander 2" tank lift and riser extension. MUCH more comfortable riding position and involves a speedo flip, which cosmetically I prefer, to make it work.

-Legendary Cycles 2" Rear Lowering Kit. Looks much better IMO without spending the coin for SS. Rides a tad stiffer, but not very noticeable. I'm 215 and the old lady is 125, two up wasn't a problem.

-Chrome Glow rear light kit, and removed rear side turners. Relocated the plate w/ a custom dynamics LED plate frame.

-R.S. Clarity air cleaner, Bassani Pro Street Turnouts, and FP3. Makes it SO much more fun to ride, and sounds great in my opinion. Loud, but not obnoxious.

Name:  20170402_121413_zpsyl34dxly.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  352.5 KB

Name:  20170402_121422_zps0znqky6j.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  344.8 KB

Name:  20170223_152533_zps6u6z432q.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  226.5 KB

Name:  20170330_174627_zps0l1jkqnb.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  235.0 KB

Name:  20170330_174619_zps6kckydhn.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  255.5 KB

Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Paul Dennis
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi all I'm looking to replace my breakout stock risers but just the bottom half and was hoping someone has done this on here, I want to keep my top half with the speedo cup, HD do a kit but it says its for putting apes on, and it's a hefty price for the kit. if anyone has done it and has a part number or if they are after market parts, I don't mind either way and a picture plus how the ride position is. Thankyou.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:38 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Dennis
Hi all I'm looking to replace my breakout stock risers but just the bottom half and was hoping someone has done this on here, I want to keep my top half with the speedo cup, HD do a kit but it says its for putting apes on, and it's a hefty price for the kit. if anyone has done it and has a part number or if they are after market parts, I don't mind either way and a picture plus how the ride position is. Thankyou.
Thunderbike flat risers or risers of a 2013/2014 CVO Breakout. For the 2nd any parts finder will take you to the P/N.

The following users liked this post:
Paul Dennis (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Paul Dennis
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheers EagleRay i did see the Thunderbike ones, so that might be the way forward, I've had quite a few bits from them now and they are very good and a good service for delivery to over here in the UK. I see you are in Germany do you go to any of the thunderbike events as me and a couple of friends are riding out in September to the end of summer bash.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 PM
WRMorrison
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WRMorrison
Clamps arrived last week (they fit perfectly), but the Kuryakyn bag was back-ordered at the time. It's on the way now, and I'll be drawing up the design for the side plates as soon as it arrives.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find some stainless (300-series preferably) 5/16-24 x 3/4" tamper-proof button head cap screws? All the usual places I source hardware only have the tamper-proof stuff in 18TPI. I don't need 3000 of them either; about 50-100 would be fine.
Kuryakyn bag and stainless hardware showed up. I'm picking up the tubing for the cross-bars on Friday, and taking the aluminum sheet to the water jet on Friday as well. I'm told a 4-7 day turn-around on the plates, so I should have them by next Friday (the 14th) with any luck.

-WRM

Old 04-05-2017, 10:10 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Dennis
Cheers EagleRay i did see the Thunderbike ones, so that might be the way forward, I've had quite a few bits from them now and they are very good and a good service for delivery to over here in the UK. I see you are in Germany do you go to any of the thunderbike events as me and a couple of friends are riding out in September to the end of summer bash.
Hey Paul, if you're going for the Thunderbike risers but maintaining the stock handle bars be aware that there might be issues with the tank clearance. At least there were for me with the switch housings touching the tank on full steering both left and right. I had to install some spacers to gain more clearance which turned out to be a good decision in terms of comfort, too.

Nope I don't go to any of their events. To go up there and back would take me 3 days....too much time and money (accommodation) involved.
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread