Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
i like turtles.....

Old 01-21-2017, 02:57 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Da-Rza 21
i like turtles.....

Oh, I saw the whole thing, dude! First, you were like, whoa! And then we were like, WHOA! And then you were like, whoa.

The following users liked this post:
tphykitt (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 AM
ChromeSpark
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoa!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 AM
Lindosan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder what LA is up to this winter ????

Anyone has experience with exhaust from Dr. Jekill and Mr. Hydes ?

Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lindosan

No direct experience! You might want to contact user Nostradamus74. He installed a J&H exhaust on his BO lately.

The following users liked this post:
Lindosan (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Still lurking around- been working on renovating one of my homes in Palm Springs.

I really like how the J&H pipes look. I can see the benefit of having a quiet pipe for local laws or whatnot, then "letting it rip" when outside of town.

BUT! I personally do not like pipes that alter the tune of the bike by flipping a switch or whatever. if your bike is tuned for "Hyde" and you change it to "Jekyll" then your tune will be way off. Anytime you alter air/fuel you have to re-tune. This is EFI not the old carb days.

I suppose you could make two tune files for your PV, TTS, etc- One with the pipes in "J" mode and one with the pipes in "H" mode. But you would have to turn off the bike each time to swap the tune file.

If it were me I'd buy a set for how they look, gut them. and put in some BCT baffles

Hey BTW guys I just sold the Breakout on Saturday, it is going to some lucky guy in Massachusetts. So right now I have ZERO motorcycles. I sold five bikes in the past two months.. didn't think they would sell so fast. Will be buying next round of bikes in the coming months.

I was actually really sad to see the Breakout go. It is my favorite project bike to date. I might have to pick up another one. A truly great bike once a few flaws are addressed.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

The actual feature of the J&H exhausts is not that you can manually put them either in open or closed mode. It's that the exhaust has a control unit that's connected to the ECM and that's doing the mode change automatically according to the speed you're riding at. That is to comply with European regulations on noise emissions.

Here in Germany e.g. an exhaust is not street legal as soon as it exceeds the db values of the stock exhaust at certain rpms. That's where the active exhaust control of the J&H or KessTech or Penzl exhausts kicks in. The control module closes the exhaust at rpms between 1500 and 3000+ when the bike is not moving. If the bike moves it will close the exhaust at speeds between 50 and 80 kph. Those are the two situations that are clearly described by the law and cops are only allowed to measure noise emissions within those limits. All other speeds and/or rpms the exhaust will be open.

Nevertheless there are certain mechanisms to put the exhaust into a "forced open" mode

Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 AM
JerzeyDevil
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My winter goal of getting rid of a bunch of chrome is done, now I just need to wait for some nice weather to ride.

The Everything Breakout Thread-6ej4nhh.jpg

The Everything Breakout Thread-xyrkuuu.jpg

Old 01-30-2017, 11:42 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
,,,,,,,Hey BTW guys I just sold the Breakout on Saturday, it is going to some lucky guy in Massachusetts. So right now I have ZERO motorcycles. I sold five bikes in the past two months.. didn't think they would sell so fast. Will be buying next round of bikes in the coming months.

I was actually really sad to see the Breakout go. It is my favorite project bike to date. I might have to pick up another one. A truly great bike once a few flaws are addressed.
Thanx LA, for your great BO mod ideas and tutelage. You, and 24V before you, have been a big help to me and to a great many others I'm sure. The BO has gone from being perhaps the most difficult HD to mod back in 2013 to being the fleet chameleon thanx to guys like you. Well done .

Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Paul Dennis
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi I had Jekill and Hyde fitted on my bike when it came from the dealer, what I found was... sound was nice the qaulity of the pipes was nice and well made, what I didn't like was when it started up i sounds like a 125 scooter, and the button to change the sound didn't always work, which kinda put me off as I thought one day they are gonna fail, so I took them off. This is just my finding and i'm sure othere will disagree.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread