Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:35 PM
mattjohnsonatx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 minutes later and I'm done, taking those bolts out sucks since there is no room to turn the wrench with the light in the way but I got it done with my buddy's help. Took the metal washer out of the equation and now it snugs up nice and tight! I agree that I think it would have been fine the way it was but my OCD was not happy with the look.

And this is why you join the forums! Thanks everyone for your input and help.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:57 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mattjohnsonatx
20 minutes later and I'm done, taking those bolts out sucks since there is no room to turn the wrench with the light in the way but I got it done with my buddy's help. Took the metal washer out of the equation and now it snugs up nice and tight! I agree that I think it would have been fine the way it was but my OCD was not happy with the look.

And this is why you join the forums! Thanks everyone for your input and help.

That looks perfect. Great you could manage to get that sorted out. Guess you owe your buddy a beer now ;-)

BUT did you put the washer back in....cause it actually belongs right there?

Last edited by EagleRay; 11-13-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:22 PM
mattjohnsonatx
Intermediate

Your f**king with me right? why are the washers needed there? No I took out the washer and left the rubber piece. I don't see a purpose of those metal washers as they were built for the OEM setup and the insertion of 2 x 1.5inch spacers changes the setup. I would think the rubber would be better there then removing the rubber piece and putting the washer back in.

Unless it's somehow vital to the setup that I can't see, I'm going to leave it be.

Last edited by mattjohnsonatx; 11-13-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:53 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Your f**king with me right? why are the washers needed there? No I took out the washer and left the rubber piece. I don't see a purpose of those metal washers as they were built for the OEM setup and the insertion of 2 x 1.5inch spacers changes the setup. I would think the rubber would be better there then removing the rubber piece and putting the washer back in.
Dude, there's supposed to be one of those washers on top of the rubber bushing and one on the bottom. If I remember correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong, those are cupped washers. They are part of the bushing assembly. As long as you keep those bushings and don't exchange them for a different type with a different build they belong right there.

It doesn't matter at all if you change the risers or add spacers or anything cause the washers were built and mounted for the bushings and in this respect you are maintaining the OEM setup, right?

But maybe I'm being too meticulous here....

Old 11-13-2016, 03:04 PM
mattjohnsonatx
Intermediate

There are ones on the bottom and they are still there (picture). The problem was with the ones on the top touching the spacers. With the washers installed the setup was not flush (posted picture of that earlier). So my options were to, leave it be, remove the top washer, which used to line up with the handlebar clamp but is now matching up to a spacer, OR removing the rubber bushing. I opted for the removing the washer. Why is this washer needed now is my question? The setup is now flush and looks good.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:10 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

The cupped washers act as a cushion, the way you have it now may chew through the bushing in no time!

Last edited by rquest; 11-13-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:15 PM
mattjohnsonatx
Intermediate

So then I should have just left it the way I had it? With there being a gap and it not being flush?

Right now I have a flat aluminum riser with a bolt hole flush up against the rubber bushing. There is really that much wear on this connection? I really don't want to take it all apart again....fml

Old 11-13-2016, 04:11 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

It should be put back together the way that the picture (that some kind person posted) and yes, it's supposed to wiggle a smudge. This is what isolates the bars from the vibrating bike so your hands don't go numb, LOL. Now if for some reason your trees won't allow you to do so, you've got another issue?

Old 11-13-2016, 04:18 PM
mattjohnsonatx
Intermediate

well dam, then I had it installed properly (with a gap) the whole time

Old 11-13-2016, 04:55 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

well dam, then I had it installed properly (with a gap) the whole time
Bro, whats your status with this, at this point in time ?

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread