Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Hello everyone hope you are all getting some good summer riding time in.

I have put quite a few miles on the new 57H cams, tuned it in very well with the PV TT system. All in all it runs great except it is a bit weaker down low than I would like and I notice it more now with 2-up riding. I would attribute this to the lower static and dynamic compression of thee cams- it is 181CCP with the 57H cams @ 38deg IVC and 9.04:1 dynamic comp.

Stock cams, compression ratio was higher at 187ccp (@ 30deg IVC) - dynamic comp was 9.30:1 - Although the 57H gives long duration and greater lift, the reduction in compression and later IVC event is taking more notice with my riding style (mostly town, a lot of stop / go).

So I have two choices to consider- Keep the 57h cams, pop the heads and run a thinner HG to raise comp - or - drop in a set of 48H cams (29deg IVC). Either will get me to 188CCP and 9.33:1 dynamic. Essentially back to stock comp levels but with better lift & duration. Actually with prices of the 48H cams so low, it looks like the cheapest option.
Thinkin outloud? LOL. Been a great summer riding with wife by my side Dawg! Thanks!

Old 09-06-2016, 11:59 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Thinkin outloud? LOL. Been a great summer riding with wife by my side Dawg! Thanks!
LOL yeh I guess so- sometimes when I type it all out it makes a bit more sense. Plus it's always good to post up some discussion on cam upgrades / schools of thought.

We all put in a lot of last minute upgrade work before the weather got good- it's nice to be out riding and enjoying our efforts

Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Great to have you here to guide and inspire us Dawg. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:28 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

^^ Yeh or baffle and confuse everyone - heh

Old 09-07-2016, 11:36 AM
RadarRat
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Yeh or baffle and confuse everyone - heh
Or a little of both:

So how is a normal person supposed to figure out the differences between the different cam offerings and how they will perform? I get the duration and lift differences, and know that I don't need absolute top end performance in my life anymore and just want grunt in the meat of the power band.

I'm looking at the Andrews 48H, Woods 333, and the SE 204's. I know that S&S also makes cams but for some reason they don't seem widely used. So will the cams I listed all pretty much ride the same?

I'm doing the 30/70 upgrade before the cams, but it seems like there are great deals on the cam sets at the moment and figure that's a great with the project.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:08 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarRat
Or a little of both:

So how is a normal person supposed to figure out the differences between the different cam offerings and how they will perform? I get the duration and lift differences, and know that I don't need absolute top end performance in my life anymore and just want grunt in the meat of the power band.

I'm looking at the Andrews 48H, Woods 333, and the SE 204's. I know that S&S also makes cams but for some reason they don't seem widely used. So will the cams I listed all pretty much ride the same?

I'm doing the 30/70 upgrade before the cams, but it seems like there are great deals on the cam sets at the moment and figure that's a great with the project.

Well, I can vouch for this. My brother has a '14 CVO breakout. 2-2 big radius with SEPT. I have a '14 breakout, short-shots, SE-AC, FP3 and 204 cams. Rolling start at about 60 mph, he pulls away slowly at first. But, when I get farther into the RPMs I walk past him. 204s give me more hp-tq through most of the RPMs. The 255s he has are all low RPM tq.

With that being said, get cams for how you ride. I love my 204s because they work great at cruising speed, even 2-up for me and give me great performance if I want to open her up. It's the best of both worlds.

Consider 555s or even 777s if you go with Woods too. A lot of people have put 204s on breakouts and love them.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:18 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by UHDhog
Well, I can vouch for this. My brother has a '14 CVO breakout. 2-2 big radius with SEPT. I have a '14 breakout, short-shots, SE-AC, FP3 and 204 cams. Rolling start at about 60 mph, he pulls away slowly at first. But, when I get farther into the RPMs I walk past him. 204s give me more hp-tq through most of the RPMs. The 255s he has are all low RPM tq.

With that being said, get cams for how you ride. I love my 204s because they work great at cruising speed, even 2-up for me and give me great performance if I want to open her up. It's the best of both worlds.

Consider 555s or even 777s if you go with Woods too. A lot of people have put 204s on breakouts and love them.

Yep, thats just how the 204's work. I've got em in my 2014 BO too. I'm new to all this cam business and not very savvy. Maybe thats why I can't get my head around all this high torque at low revs business on a cruising machine. Isn't it better to preserve torque at high revs where you also get added HP ?

"Seems to work for me".

Old 09-07-2016, 03:39 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Isn't it better to preserve torque at high revs where you also get added HP ?

"Seems to work for me".
Depends on how you like to ride. Some people just want to roll on the throttle in 6th gear and have the power right there. Therefore, they will want high tq at low RPM (~2000 RPM).

I think most people that come from a background of 4-wheeler/dirt bike/sport bike riding will prefer the tq/hp in the mid-high RPM range. Mostly because that type of riding style uses a lot of shifting. I don't mind shifting gears. Then again, I'm just used to it. This is why you hear "get the cam for your riding style" when people ask about cam choices.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:45 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RadarRat
Or a little of both:

hah- well yeh don't get overwhelmed. with our stock motors, if you only want to drop in cams, you have some reasonable choices that will all ride about the same. the SE204, the MR103, Andrews 57H, 37H, 48H cams (and a couple others but those are the usual suspects). If you are a town rider go with the lower end TQ cam like the SE204, MR103 or 48H. 57H and 37H is good as long as your stock compression is a bit on the higher side. mine was not. plus a lot of guys are rocking the SE204 cams here so you would have a very good source of tuning help and advice.

But honestly- no BS here - just do the 30/70 pulley upgrade, tune your bike with a good timing table and fuel map, and I don't think you'll care about spending the money on cams right now. Pulley upgrade = big difference, mild cam upgrade = small difference. your next big difference would be cams combined with headwork, raise compression, increase CC to 107, etc.

All I'm sayin is keep it simple and one step at a time- there will always be deals on cams floating around- do the pulleys and a good tune- go ride - see where you are at. you'll be stoked.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:57 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

hah- well yeh don't get overwhelmed. with our stock motors, if you only want to drop in cams, you have some reasonable choices that will all ride about the same. the SE204, the MR103, Andrews 57H, 37H, 48H cams (and a couple others but those are the usual suspects). If you are a town rider go with the lower end TQ cam like the SE204, MR103 or 48H. 57H and 37H is good as long as your stock compression is a bit on the higher side. mine was not. plus a lot of guys are rocking the SE204 cams here so you would have a very good source of tuning help and advice.

But honestly- no BS here - just do the 30/70 pulley upgrade, tune your bike with a good timing table and fuel map, and I don't think you'll care about spending the money on cams right now. Pulley upgrade = big difference, mild cam upgrade = small difference. your next big difference would be cams combined with headwork, raise compression, increase CC to 107, etc.

All I'm sayin is keep it simple and one step at a time- there will always be deals on cams floating around- do the pulleys and a good tune- go ride - see where you are at. you'll be stoked.
I have to agree. The pulley swap makes an immediate, very substnaital change in the performance of the bike, well beyond what a mild cam by itself will get you. This is especially notable at low rpm, where the gearing change effect is VERY noticeable.

Jim G

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread