Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mencho
Thanks!, I actually got the Dunlop Rear Elite 3 250/40VR-18 Blackwall Tire from Denniskirk for 162.88 so will see how it goes. Now time to find a good tech to install, will try to avoid the dealer due to the price...
My front tire is still looking good but may also change is the Dunlop Elite 3 120/70R21 Front Tire a good option??
FWIW its the one I got. Its not yet installed. Like you, I'm trying to get a bit more value out of the OEM front which at least appears to wear decently well.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Mencho
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riknbeth
I did the same. Went with Dunlop E3 250/40, I have the OEM tire on the front and hopefully will be able to keep it for a long time, just to save money. I picked the Dunlop after talking to my local Indie. Nothing wrong with Metz or Avon, just his recommendation. Price was identical (and $200 less than my dealer). When I replace the front I will stay with Dunlop E3. I believe it is a 120/70 that is needed because they don't make the weird size Harley uses. But the tech will know for sure. Let us know what you think with the new tire. I was taken by surprise when I got on and rode my bike out of the parking lot. Way better than OEM. Good luck to you. Ride Safe.
Excellent, Thank for the feedback. Looking forward to receiving it and getting it installed, I have read many good comments about how much better it rides! Will definitely keep you guys updated.

Originally Posted by HKMark23
FWIW its the one I got. Its not yet installed. Like you, I'm trying to get a bit more value out of the OEM front which at least appears to wear decently well.
Yes I does much better than the rear. Thanks!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-13-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I'm changing brands of tires on my bike I always change both tires because of the tread patterns and handling.

Originally Posted by Mencho
Thanks!, I actually got the Dunlop Rear Elite 3 250/40VR-18 Blackwall Tire from Denniskirk for 162.88 so will see how it goes. Now time to find a good tech to install, will try to avoid the dealer due to the price...
My front tire is still looking good but may also change is the Dunlop Elite 3 120/70R21 Front Tire a good option??

Old 08-10-2016, 01:40 PM
RadarRat
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke 13
If I'm changing brands of tires on my bike I always change both tires because of the tread patterns and handling.
I totally agree. No way would I not run matched sets of tires on a bike. It's the only thing between you and the road, not worth saving a couple hundred dollars in my mind. Plus the stock front tire isn't the correct size to begin with for handling or stability.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:09 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke 13
Originally Posted by RadarRat
I totally agree. No way would I not run matched sets of tires on a bike. It's the only thing between you and the road, not worth saving a couple hundred dollars in my mind. Plus the stock front tire isn't the correct size to begin with for handling or stability.

Would you run a radial rear paired with a bias front ? If you've ridden a new Breakout you would.

I agree in principle with what you guys are advising but I can't see where occasionally mismatched tires, on a street cruiser, are a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:57 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

All you guys that are trying to stretch the life of that crappy factory front tire have no idea what you are missing..... ditch it asap and slap the E3 on.... it becomes a different bike!

Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM
RadarRat
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Would you run a radial rear paired with a bias front ? If you've ridden a new Breakout you would.

I agree in principle with what you guys are advising but I can't see where occasionally mismatched tires, on a street cruiser, are a catastrophe waiting to happen.
Radial and bias is not what I'm referring to, and I own and ride a BO. I agree that isn't a bad thing, except I would get the same manufacturer, and try to match tread design, temperature and traction ratings.

Getting a new rear with drastic difference in those above categories then the front tire is the issue I would avoid at all costs.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:24 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my thread over the weekend, Danny Gray Weekday 2up XL with the AirHawk system in both rider and passenger. Extremely happy, the girlfriend even more so haha

Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87
From my thread over the weekend, Danny Gray Weekday 2up XL with the AirHawk system in both rider and passenger. Extremely happy, the girlfriend even more so haha

That sure looks like the GF will be happy

Old 08-11-2016, 06:04 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87
What pipes are those? Look nice.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread