Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jonfrapp
Men i know your going to hate me for this. And i really mean no harm. To each their own.
And this might only be me. But to me i don't think any of these things should be done to a breakout. It's not that bike. I think it should be left stock looking. And i don't mean putting nice accessories on or anything like that. I'm talking about Apes, saddle bags, longer risers, different seats, racks, highways bars and pegs, etc etc. I think it looks perfect with the stock straight bars, stock seat. etc. So i'm not questioning anyone i'm just curious is this just me? Ad more so why would you buy a Breakout if you wanted that kind of stuff on it. If you want saddle bags why not get a street glide or something like that. and i really don't mean to insult anyone. I'm in the middle of deciding which bike to buy. There was one blue breakout I saw on this forum once that I thought was done up right(plus some of yours). I can't find it now though. But he had a problem with a sprocket or something I think. He put all the CVO components one and chromed his straight bars plus a bunch of other things. To me that's what a breakout is made to be. Am I nuts? Do I have bad taste maybe? Or do you guys think that bars and saddle bags look good on these things.
No offense taken. The Breakout was the closest to what I wanted in a bike, fat tire, chopped rear fender, low and aggressive looking.
I'll agree that the Breakout looks great right out of the box, but even though you fall in love with the looks, it's not a great fit for everyone, self included. If I was a bit younger I could live with the low bars.
Whenever I rode my Breakout my hands would have a tendency to go to sleep. I've had several other bikes and never experienced that problem and it's not something you'd realize on a test drive.
Everything I've done to my Breakout has been to make it look unique, handle better, perform better and be more comfortable. I just added 12" rise bars and my hands no longer go to sleep. The stock risers have not only made the bars a bit too high, it also made the pullback a bit too much, so I've ordered 1-1/2 tall risers.
Also, a large portion of owning a Harley is making it your own and that's what I'm doing.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:35 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jonfrapp
Men i know your going to hate me for this. And i really mean no harm. To each their own.
And this might only be me. But to me i don't think any of these things should be done to a breakout. It's not that bike. I think it should be left stock looking. And i don't mean putting nice accessories on or anything like that. I'm talking about Apes, saddle bags, longer risers, different seats, racks, highways bars and pegs, etc etc. I think it looks perfect with the stock straight bars, stock seat. etc. So i'm not questioning anyone i'm just curious is this just me? Ad more so why would you buy a Breakout if you wanted that kind of stuff on it. If you want saddle bags why not get a street glide or something like that. and i really don't mean to insult anyone. I'm in the middle of deciding which bike to buy. There was one blue breakout I saw on this forum once that I thought was done up right(plus some of yours). I can't find it now though. But he had a problem with a sprocket or something I think. He put all the CVO components one and chromed his straight bars plus a bunch of other things. To me that's what a breakout is made to be. Am I nuts? Do I have bad taste maybe? Or do you guys think that bars and saddle bags look good on these things.
The original look is nice off the floor. The usual pipes,a/c 260 tire are a must. Riser extensions are to make the ride more comfortable. QD bags and such are for the obvious. I love the look of my Breakout stripped down. But for a weekend trip, you damn skippy I'm putting QD bags and fairing on. Get through the long ride and strip her back down for around town. If I wanted a bagger look year round, I'd get a bagger. But, since it suits myself and others as well for practicality, I'll continue to use the QD parts if I need to.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:59 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

[QUOTE=tphykitt;15307100]Ill have to look those up! Thank you

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Have you considered a tank lift ? Its cheap and relatively easy to do. The mod would include apes, I assume, and there are various ways you can get the speedo to clear the tank, allowing for the lift.

Hmmm, i have not. Is the tank lift displayed in your picture? I don't want really high apes. Just a little more pull back.

Yes, I have a 3" lift with 14" apes mounted on CVO type short risers on 10 degree forward angled bushings. The idea was to gain the comfortable riding position provided by the apes without having them show so much by burying them visually beneath the tank. Using the bushings and keeping the speedo housing mounted low serves to hide the gap at the front of the tank which you invariably get with a lift.

Some guys have kept their OEM risers, simply reversing them so the bend is forward, in order to gain clearance between the speedo housing and the lifted tank. I'm not really nuts about the looks of that method, but thats just me.

Last edited by HKMark23; 07-08-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:19 PM
jasontynes
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Noob here
I just picked up my first Harley (CVO Breakout). I've been lurking here for the last few weeks, and I'm truly grateful for the plethora of knowledge found here. I'm just wondering if someone might know where I can get metal finishing to match this new "smoke satin chrome" HD is using on my bike. I really love the look, but now I've swapped pipes (V&H) and I'd love to have them finished (if possible) to match the factory pipes in the dark chrome. The new pipes are flat black and kind of stand out. I also need to get new derby covers with the same finish if possible.
TIA!
JT

Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Try SportChrome, they're also one of the HDF Sponsors.
They might help you in finding what you want and by my experience they're pretty reliable.

The following users liked this post:
jasontynes (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 10:15 AM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jasontynes
Hey guys,
Noob here
I just picked up my first Harley (CVO Breakout). I've been lurking here for the last few weeks, and I'm truly grateful for the plethora of knowledge found here. I'm just wondering if someone might know where I can get metal finishing to match this new "smoke satin chrome" HD is using on my bike. I really love the look, but now I've swapped pipes (V&H) and I'd love to have them finished (if possible) to match the factory pipes in the dark chrome. The new pipes are flat black and kind of stand out. I also need to get new derby covers with the same finish if possible.
TIA!
JT
Stainless steel stuff might look pretty close? at least on the pipes after they age a bit.

The following users liked this post:
jasontynes (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 11:03 AM
HenryT
Road Master

Wondering if anyone has tried these bars on a Breakout? LA Choppers Hefty Bar PN#LA-7312-09B. http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...212/index.html

They come chrome or black PC. Looks to be a modest change from the stock bars but enough to cure some of the long ride discomfort many have with the stock bars. From my calculations they have about 2" more rise and about 3" or so more pullback than stock. Don't think they will change the overall look of the bike too much.....

Old 07-10-2016, 11:15 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Wondering if anyone has tried these bars on a Breakout? LA Choppers Hefty Bar PN#LA-7312-09B. http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...212/index.html

They come chrome or black PC. Looks to be a modest change from the stock bars but enough to cure some of the long ride discomfort many have with the stock bars. From my calculations they have about 2" more rise and about 3" or so more pullback than stock. Don't think they will change the overall look of the bike too much.....

I took a different approach to the same problem: I got a custom Corbin seat that moved me forward just one inch. That not only gave me a LOT more comfortable seat, but also totally solved the ergonomics problem with the bars, AND made the use of the foot controls notably better (I am 5'9" in height and 30" inseam, with 33 to 34" sleeve length).

I really did not want to visually raise the bars, nor pull them back, as I love the long, low look of the Breakout - a sort of "dragster" look.

Jim G

Old 07-10-2016, 11:26 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT

I don't think simply adding pull back and more bar height will be a general cure for any discomfort people experience with the stock setup. For me going with short straight risers (0 pull back) did the trick. Plus I kept the stock bars.

But I didn't find the stock setup very uncomfy anyway....but with more pull back it would have been worse for sure!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:38 AM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I took a different approach to the same problem: I got a custom Corbin seat that moved me forward just one inch. That not only gave me a LOT more comfortable seat, but also totally solved the ergonomics problem with the bars, AND made the use of the foot controls notably better (I am 5'9" in height and 30" inseam, with 33 to 34" sleeve length).

I really did not want to visually raise the bars, nor pull them back, as I love the long, low look of the Breakout - a sort of "dragster" look.

Jim G

Yeah right agree, that's why I'm asking about this bar because the changes from the stock bar look to be modest. They are the same width also. They appear to stick with the stock BO theme pretty well.

Originally Posted by EagleRay
I don't think simply adding pull back and more bar height will be a general cure for any discomfort people experience with the stock setup. For me going with short straight risers (0 pull back) did the trick. Plus I kept the stock bars.

But I didn't find the stock setup very uncomfy anyway....but with more pull back it would have been worse for sure!

Yeah the change is not for everyone. Its for those that might want a change from the stock set up.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread