Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:17 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke 13
I removed mine because I didn't want to take a chance on them getting damaged or being charged extra labor if they needed to be removed. That's the easiest port of the entire job.
I'm not sure that removing and re-torquing those pulley bolts is a great idea. The torque needs to be in a specific range to be tight enough to not get loose, but not so tight that you strip threads. The loosening and retightening affects the "real" torque being applied.

If they don't need to come off, I wouldn't take them off. Maybe someone more experienced on them can comment though. I'm talking theoretically.

Jim G

Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I've removed my own tyres before on numerous bikes with nothing more than yokes and 2x4's with sprocket and rotors on with out issues.
I've also seen it done and have never seen them removed either.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:29 AM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke 13
I removed mine because I didn't want to take a chance on them getting damaged or being charged extra labor if they needed to be removed. That's the easiest port of the entire job.
I can understand the thinking.

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I'm not sure that removing and re-torquing those pulley bolts is a great idea. The torque needs to be in a specific range to be tight enough to not get loose, but not so tight that you strip threads. The loosening and retightening affects the "real" torque being applied.

If they don't need to come off, I wouldn't take them off. Maybe someone more experienced on them can comment though. I'm talking theoretically.

Jim G
Yeah was really leaning on not taking them off also. If you don't have to. I'm guessing maybe the service manual probably details a tire change, will have to give a look see. Edit: Looked in SM and not a lot of detail on removing the tires. No mention of having to remove rotors or pulleys though.

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I've removed my own tyres before on numerous bikes with nothing more than yokes and 2x4's with sprocket and rotors on with out issues.
I've also seen it done and have never seen them removed either.
Yeah I have never removed sprockets or rotors either for any tire changes before.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always been asked to remove them by the shop.

My pulley will be coming off one more time for the 30/70 upgrade.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:36 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

FWIW guys, the service manual says that the pulley bolts cannot be reused.

They are cheap and the stealerships always seem to have them in stock. Buy a new set if you ever need to remove and reinstall/swap the pulley.

Having said that, I've never bothered to measure the bolts before/after being torqued into a wheel..... hhmmmmm... might be an interesting subject to check into...

Old 07-03-2016, 03:30 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
FWIW guys, the service manual says that the pulley bolts cannot be reused.

They are cheap and the stealerships always seem to have them in stock. Buy a new set if you ever need to remove and reinstall/swap the pulley.

Having said that, I've never bothered to measure the bolts before/after being torqued into a wheel..... hhmmmmm... might be an interesting subject to check into...
You won't detect any difference in observable LENGHT with normal measuring tools, but the metal is altered a bit every time you torque and untorque. The consequences of failure of the bolts are too big to take a chance to save a few bucks on new bolts. Safety issues AND damage to the bike if something breaks.

Jim G

Old 07-04-2016, 01:00 PM
HardRock Alabama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackline Tank Console Breakout 2016

Happy 4th of July everybody.
I want to change the console on my 2016 BO. Already checked the great instructions and part lists here. I just want to make sure it still works for the 2016 as well. Im asking because I tried to get the edge cut brake and clutch levers and they don't fit for 2016. Did anybody already change the console on a 2016 ? Or are the parts are still the same ?

Thanks

Mario

Old 07-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRock Alabama
I want to change the console on my 2016 BO. Already checked the great instructions and part lists here. I just want to make sure it still works for the 2016 as well. Im asking because I tried to get the edge cut brake and clutch levers and they don't fit for 2016. Did anybody already change the console on a 2016 ? Or are the parts are still the same ?

Thanks

Mario
You probably know that a lot of guys have gone with the "blackline" dash. I didn't. I simply had the chrome dash plate powder coated gloss black and it looks great at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by Duke 13; 07-04-2016 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2016, 09:27 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Thanks

Mario
If nobody can answer you specifically, check out dealer part numbers for 2014 vs 2016 tanks, dash etc. etc. If they match thats a pretty strong indicator you're GTG. Also, using the pictures from way back in this forum as a rference, take a look under your dash and see if its the same. If all that is in order, I'd go for it.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:13 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks

Mario
Yes. If you are replacing with a blackline dash then you are good to go. Everything is the same on the '16 models. Easy swap and looks tons better. I did it to mine.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread