Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Must just be the lighting in the picture. Bike is looking good. Are you gonna black it out or stay with some chrome? If you are keeping chrome that Blackline dash would look sweet in chrome on your '14. It would match well with the front end and the chromed struts.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Microdoted
those are the smoked lenses from harley (Part Number 69304-02). have them front and rear, and running custom dynamics red leds in back and halos up front
Just so everyone knows, DOT regulations require that FRONT turn signal lights must be either white or amber, never red.

Jim G

Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Microdoted
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24v
Must just be the lighting in the picture. Bike is looking good. Are you gonna black it out or stay with some chrome? If you are keeping chrome that Blackline dash would look sweet in chrome on your '14. It would match well with the front end and the chromed struts.
im still making up my mind. i would prefer to black it out entirely... but the cost of the forks to do that is astronomical.... and without doing the forks, it will never be truly 'blacked out'. my heart tells me to do it..... my wallet/wife tells me i shouldnt. maybe once i get real plates on it and make it ouf of break-in period.

in the meantime, im blacking what i can, and will have a few pieces machined (prefer that over chrome).

Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Microdoted
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Just so everyone knows, DOT regulations require that FRONT turn signal lights must be either white or amber, never red.

Jim G
the halos are white running, blinking amber. running reds in the back only.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Jim G
You post the most random facts?
Who said anything about red front signals anywhere?

Originally Posted by Microdoted
im still making up my mind. i would prefer to black it out entirely... but the cost of the forks to do that is astronomical.... and without doing the forks, it will never be truly 'blacked out'. my heart tells me to do it..... my wallet/wife tells me i shouldnt. maybe once i get real plates on it and make it ouf of break-in period.

in the meantime, im blacking what i can, and will have a few pieces machined (prefer that over chrome).
You can do the trees, then wrap black vinyl around the upper fork tubes between them. That takes care of most of the black. The working part being shiny is kinda cool anyways IMHO.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
You post the most random facts?
Who said anything about red front signals anywhere?
The poster had said "those are the smoked lenses from harley (Part Number 69304-02). have them front and rear", without clarifying that he was running amber versus red in front.

So, my comment was not "random"

Jim G

Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

The poster had said "those are the smoked lenses from harley (Part Number 69304-02). have them front and rear", without clarifying that he was running amber versus red in front.

So, my comment was not "random"

Jim G
Okie dokie. If you're gonna quote DOT regulations though you probably should be correct.

Jim G
Pretty sure front turn signals can only be amber, don't think white is ok.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
Okie dokie. If you're gonna quote DOT regulations though you probably should be correct.

Pretty sure front turn signals can only be amber, don't think white is ok.
White is ok because for many decades, white was the norm, and the Feds needed to "grandfather" them in. Amber is more desirable these days because it is more visible. Red is forbidden on the front. Red is reserved for brake, tail light, and signal lamps on the REAR of a vehicle, so that it is clear whether you are seeing the front or rear of a vehicle at night or in fog.

Jim G

Old 03-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well he did initially say he had red leds on back and halos up front. Like he said, the halos are white driving light (the outer leds) and flash the inner part amber for turn signals. I've contemplated going the same route but might end up with the amber turn signal wraps instead up front. Look'n good!

Old 03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

White is ok because for many decades, white was the norm, and the Feds needed to "grandfather" them in. Amber is more desirable these days because it is more visible. Red is forbidden on the front. Red is reserved for brake, tail light, and signal lamps on the REAR of a vehicle, so that it is clear whether you are seeing the front or rear of a vehicle at night or in fog.

Jim G
Nope, only amber up front, and red or amber in the rear. Here is the page.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=571.108

And the section, for your viewing pleasure.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread