Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 09:05 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

^^ Sure thing brother- Send it! You might not get it back though, but it will be well cared for

Old 05-06-2016, 10:30 AM
drpete
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took a ride out to my harley dealer and for ***** and giggles asked them to quote me on a metz 260 for the breakout. I must have stupid tatted on my head. quoted me 285 plus tax. Denniskirk has it 185 free shipping no tax.

I try to support my local dealer. don't mind paying a little more but thats crazy. They quoted me 160 to install rear tire and 80 to install front. This didn't seem to bad to me. Your thoughts? Also, I can buy my tires anywhere I want and bring it to them to install, right?

Thanks guys

Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 AM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete
Just took a ride out to my harley dealer and for ***** and giggles asked them to quote me on a metz 260 for the breakout. I must have stupid tatted on my head. quoted me 285 plus tax. Denniskirk has it 185 free shipping no tax.

I try to support my local dealer. don't mind paying a little more but thats crazy. They quoted me 160 to install rear tire and 80 to install front. This didn't seem to bad to me. Your thoughts? Also, I can buy my tires anywhere I want and bring it to them to install, right?

Thanks guys
Obviously they would prefer to make money on the tires and the labor but if you have a decent dealer they should install whatever parts you have even if you didn't purchase them there. I just had my local dealer install a rear pulley, cams, cables, and several engine covers and I didn't buy a single one of the parts from them. If it makes you feel any better I had a screw in my rear tire day 1 of vacation a couple years back and had no other choice than to buy a rear tire from Harley and have installed. Service guy discounted the tire for me from $315 down to around $250 but it was still $400 after tax and labor. And that was for a stock dunlop replacement.

Michael

Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Thanks guys
My local HD dealer is perfectly fine with me buying my own Pirelli tires and paying him to install them. I do this because (a) he does not handle Pirelli tires and (b) his price would be higher than a web-based store, but I trust his tech to do the install correctly. I can't remember what he charges me, but I can say that it was nowhere near as high as $160 to do the rear tire.

I feel blessed because my local HD dealership does treat its customers fairly in terms of price. I have never once felt gouged. I realize that not all dealers are this good.

Jim G

Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 AM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
My local HD dealer is perfectly fine with me buying my own Pirelli tires and paying him to install them. I do this because (a) he does not handle Pirelli tires and (b) his price would be higher than a web-based store, but I trust his tech to do the install correctly. I can't remember what he charges me, but I can say that it was nowhere near as high as $160 to do the rear tire.

I feel blessed because my local HD dealership does treat its customers fairly in terms of price. I have never once felt gouged. I realize that not all dealers are this good.

Jim G
The dealership I had install my rear tire during that emergency wasn't even my local dealer and they still discounted the tire and it was 1.25 hours of labor @ I believe $84/hr. So also less than the $160.

Michael

Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

My Dealer refused to install my Dunlop 250. They claimed it was not in spec for the 2014 BO and hence a liability issue. That business and more with it has gone to my Indy who is less expensive anyway. "What can I say" ?

Old 05-06-2016, 11:34 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

^^ I guess other countries are going to have differing requirements. That's pretty funny considering the stock Breakout tires are the real "liability issue" - lol. Glendale dealer here in Cali had no problem with installing my Pirelli tires. I took wheels off my bike and brought them down, it was like $50 total ($25 per wheel). they are one of the only places that has a true touchless tire changer which is what I needed for the PM wheels.

Three hours labor to R/R front and rear wheels, change both tires seems about right in booked time- overall cost depends on the dealership hourly labor rate and if they give you a 'good customer' deal or not.

Thanks guys
Dealers can order just about anything you want, but if it is aftermarket stuff it is going to be at regular MAP price. that's pretty normal.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-08-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than the Night Dragons, what are other good tire options?

Old 05-06-2016, 07:57 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Metz, higher line Dunlop are the usual two

Old 05-06-2016, 08:18 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87
Other than the Night Dragons, what are other good tire options?
The Pirelli Diablo pn 1682600 is a GrEAT rear tire that also gives the advantage of being much lighter than the Dunlop, so far, far less moment of inertia to overcome when either turning or accelerating. It is also rather inexpensive. but, it is stIcKY (good0 which means it wears out fast too (not so good, but I prefer traction over tread life ANY day). This tire transformed my bike. Very, very impressive, and even my Harley dealership technician agrees it is way superior to the Dunlop his dealership sells.

On the front, I am running an Avon Front Cobra AV71 120/70V-21 Blackwall Tire - 90000000746. It did for the front what the pirelli did for the rear.

When they replaced the stock tire, these tires made it seem like the bike lost a pair of cement overshoes. No kidding.

Jim G

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread