Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Colin_Allhose
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Congrats! post up some pix- we like that stuff. I would get a tuning product like the FP3 or Powervision. You're going to need it. Do not buy the SE tuners! just say "no".

Consider upgrading your belt pulleys to 30/68 or 30/70. Excellent performance gain- you'll pee. seriously.

get better tires. metzeler, higher end dunlops, or pirelli night dragons. makes a very big difference with ride quality and handling.

with the above and a good tune you should be pretty happy for some time. later on you can throw in a set of cams to top it all off.

these are the basics I did to my bike and it is fast as crap-ola for the money spent. [[[edited]]] Whoops sorry missed the 2014, not 2016. you don;t really need the 50mm tb or bigger injectors until you do cams. even then maybe not. plenty guys running mild cams and stock 46mm tb and 3.9 injectors. it really comes down to how the bike runs after you do the cams.
thanks! so stoked to have this beast.

i'm gonna run these tires down before i switch- does a 260 fit the stock wheel or should i stay 240? also read in here about switching the front to a diff size tire to improve as well. thinking Pirelli Dragons.

as far as the belt pulleys, how does this rear gear affect the top end. i do a lot of freeway riding- how low will this drop the top end/ top speed? love the idea of this though and probably will be making it happen.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin_Allhose
thanks! so stoked to have this beast.

i'm gonna run these tires down before i switch- does a 260 fit the stock wheel or should i stay 240? also read in here about switching the front to a diff size tire to improve as well. thinking Pirelli Dragons.

as far as the belt pulleys, how does this rear gear affect the top end. i do a lot of freeway riding- how low will this drop the top end/ top speed? love the idea of this though and probably will be making it happen.
260 metz will fit right on there. matching front as well in 120/70/21 - no one makes the retarded 130/60/21 front tire size except HD's stock tire. the 120/70 is the correct size tire for the 3.5" rim and bike will handle a lot better. plus it makes the front wheel look a bit bigger too. pirelli ND's are awesome tires and price is excellent. no 260 size though. For me I like the 240 just fine.

Belt pulleys- no problem with freeway speeds. you'll probably find your MPG will be exactly the same if not a bit better. unless of course you end up with "happy wrist" from having a speedy bike anyway see the Drive Ratio DIY sticky thread at top of this softail forum- on page 1 are all of the mph-rpm charts for different belt pulley combos so you can see your speeds. our bikes actually came geared too tall with 32/66 pulleys to begin with so this upgrade is just un-doing that, and putting it at a more correct final drive ratio. like the pre-2007 bikes. Right now your 6th gear is virtually useless under 90mph. Riding the bike at say 70 in 6th is just about lugging the engine.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Must be something wrong with my phone and pc because your video is not showin
LOL ok I'll try and get something...

Old 05-01-2016, 01:41 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
LOL ok I'll try and get something...

Old 05-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Lot's of info to digest here.. Looks like i'll be reading these threads for the next 3 months. good tip on the belt pulleys. I just picked up my 16 BO this past weekend. V&H pipes were on backorder for weeks so I opted for the Cobra speedster short swept w/fuelpak fp3. Is there anyone doing a similar setup? if so, did you run an autotune map or did you find a better custom map to upload? I like the sound but it wouldn't hurt if they were a bit louder.. i know you can remove the baffles that are held by a couple of screws. anyone do this, and what was the outcome? significant loss of power? or not noticeable and you kept them off?

i know once I take them off there's really no turning back. thoughts? anyone have a sound clip of these types of exhaust with the baffles removed?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
Lot's of info to digest here.. Looks like i'll be reading these threads for the next 3 months. good tip on the belt pulleys. I just picked up my 16 BO this past weekend. V&H pipes were on backorder for weeks so I opted for the Cobra speedster short swept w/fuelpak fp3. Is there anyone doing a similar setup? if so, did you run an autotune map or did you find a better custom map to upload? I like the sound but it wouldn't hurt if they were a bit louder.. i know you can remove the baffles that are held by a couple of screws. anyone do this, and what was the outcome? significant loss of power? or not noticeable and you kept them off?

i know once I take them off there's really no turning back. thoughts? anyone have a sound clip of these types of exhaust with the baffles removed?
The Cobra speedster short swept's look almost identical to the V&H 2 into 2 (at least to me). Good choice. All of the answers to your questions are in this forum, just need to use the advanced search feature at the top, but will take awhile. There are some awesome guys on this thread who are really knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck. I personally love my breakout, will never get rid of it.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:38 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Never ran with out bafflels, but word on the street is you will loose power
DK Customs has what they recer to as "torque cones" and they claim more power through out the revv band

Old 05-02-2016, 12:00 PM
tibnyi01
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought and installed my V&H's Big Radius', fuelpak fp3 and Screamin' Eagle heavy breather on my '16 a few weeks ago. Only hang up was the fuelpak didn't have any maps at first because the 16's had a newer ECU code that V&H's hadn't programmed for. After a few back and forth calls I had the maps downloaded and installed in a couple hours. Haven't ran the Auto Tune yet, waiting for some sustained decent weather to give it a good run. Haven't messed with my baffles and don't intend to, happy with how they are.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:41 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Never ran with out bafflels, but word on the street is you will loose power
DK Customs has what they recer to as "torque cones" and they claim more power through out the revv band
It really depends on the type of pipe. A long, tuned 2-1 pipe might not need a baffle at all. My RB Racing LSR 2-1 pipe on the Big Dog has no baffling at all and gives some crazy good torque.

Very long 2-2 pipes might not need baffling either

really short 2-1 pipes like the "LAF" or short 2-2 pipes like the VH and similar need to have a bit of baffling. even if it's just the small aftermarket units that sit in the tailpipe end from BCT or DK.

I've yet to see 'torque cones' that fit in the head end of the pipe make any difference.

if we are talking drag racing, max HP / top speed / high rpm / high compression / big *** cams and not a normal daily rider town performance bike, then sure with the right crazy performance build you could go shorty 2-2 pipes, completely open, and be right on with it.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:49 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

congrats on the BO. search youtube for vids on "BCT baffles softail" - there are some vids. the DK or BCT baffles do a good job and sound a heck of a lot better than the baffles that came in the pipe. i can't speak for the Cobras but if they are exactly same as the VH then you'd get the same results- good

The only real things contributing to loss of power on our bikes as new, are the stock drive belt pulleys and stock tuning maps. Shorter ratio belt pulleys, pipes and air cleaner upgrade, better fuel mapping and spark advance timing, and it's a completely different bike.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread