Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 250 Likes on 162 Posts

You know, for the wind protection you get, that "windshield" looks surpirisngly good. I know from past experience that even a very small windshield or mini-fiairng takes off a consdierable portion of that wind pressure you would otherwise feel, especially if you take the time to "optimize" the angle at which it is mounted.

Myself, I have a "Windvest" windshield that is mounted via gorgeous billet mounts, and goes on and off with only 2 allen head bolts - 2 minutes at most. I used that on my last bike, a Honda VTX 1800R, and will now simply get the right mounts to work on my Breakout (Windvest offers multiple mounts, all really nice, and totally unobtrusive whether or not the windhsield is on the bike). I like the ability to put on and take off the wind protection, ebcause most of the time I don't need it.

Jim G

Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 AM
cbaywolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pa-Rider
Well, my 'Fly Screen' from National Cycle came in yesterday, got it installed last night. I'm not a big fan of wind screens, but I'm also not a huge fan of being exhausted after a few hours of being on the bike. It's small-ish, and seemingly unobtrusive, and I wanted to get you other breakout owners opinions.. The only thing I was really disappointed on was the clamps. The outer half of the clamp is chrome and the inner half is flat black. You'd think that both halves would be chrome? They also suggest you buy the handlebar clamps to go with it, another $24, which I did, and the screws for those clamps were too short. I may go and find longer allen screws for that and see what it looks like mounted to the bars. Here's a few shots.

I like it! This was actually exactly what I was looking for before I went the 1/4 fairing route- My previous bike (VTX 1300), I also had the National Cycle Switchblade windshield which was very similar to this one- I called them, and they said they didn't have anything that fit the Breakout in that style. Did you have to modify that to fit?

I would have powder coated the chrome to match my bike- but I like it. Can you get a shot of the bike's entire profile? I'm not going to switch at this point- I like my fairing- but the one downside is that the headlight is inset about 4".

And I agree- the amount of wind protection that these small windshields provide is night and day when riding on the highway (or any speed above 50 mph). It makes a huge difference in preventing the parachute effect, and affords many more hours of riding without wearing down.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaparro78
Not bad. Wonder how it would look black or painted.

How did you determine it would fit? Don't see the FXSB on their list in their website.
The breakout and wide glide forks and triple trees share some of the same dimensions, or at least that's what I was led to believe. Even if they were off a bit on the width, the mounts for it allow for some play.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM
jweinsteiger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa-Rider
Well, my 'Fly Screen' from National Cycle came in yesterday, got it installed last night. I'm not a big fan of wind screens, but I'm also not a huge fan of being exhausted after a few hours of being on the bike. It's small-ish, and seemingly unobtrusive, and I wanted to get you other breakout owners opinions.. The only thing I was really disappointed on was the clamps. The outer half of the clamp is chrome and the inner half is flat black. You'd think that both halves would be chrome? They also suggest you buy the handlebar clamps to go with it, another $24, which I did, and the screws for those clamps were too short. I may go and find longer allen screws for that and see what it looks like mounted to the bars. Here's a few shots.

Looks good! I just ordered up the National Cycle N21603 Stinger Windshield to replace the HD one I am, currently using I should have pics up next week!

Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM
CultLdr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re:

Was able to get out today and snap two quick pics. Shields and struts back from powdercoat and put on last night. Hoping to get dash parts tonight.

Name:  Breakout1024_zps3215f43b.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  Breakout21024_zps5828c69d.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  71.9 KB

Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

I like it too. Reminds me of the one I had on my Vmax. Let us know how it performs.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM
A-Hol
Advanced

Originally Posted by CultLdr
Was able to get out today and snap two quick pics. Shields and struts back from powdercoat and put on last night. Hoping to get dash parts tonight.

Did you get the stock chrome dash powdercoated? Was wondering if it is powdercoat-able (i.e. metal)

Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
A-Hol
Advanced

Anyone know what headlight trim rings work on the Breakout? What other Harley uses the same headlamp? I want a frenched trim ring, not the visor one. I tried one for a Rocker, but it doesn't work.

Last edited by A-Hol; 03-21-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 PM
CultLdr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A-Hol
Did you get the stock chrome dash powdercoated? Was wondering if it is powdercoat-able (i.e. metal)
No I just sprayed it with some flat black so it was black as I waited for the blackline one to come in.

On a related note tho, parts came in tonight and installed the dash, it's so nice in pics but absolutely gorgeous in person. So glad I saw all this on these forums, thank you everyone for posting all these great ideas!

Last edited by CultLdr; 03-21-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

When are one of you BO guys gunna pc your wheels in gloss black? Who's going to be the first? I'm keen to see it, been waiting for this to happen for some time

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread