Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:26 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
^^ sorry bud- guess I need more coffee- could have sworn you did the dampers as well. you planning to or no?
For the time being I will try w/o the dampers ... if I'm not happy with the performance I might consider doing the Ricor dampers later.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:40 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

you could try some 15w SE fork oil as well, that would stiffen your damping rate. IMO the 10w and stock dampers is a washy setup at best. Think of it like an older sports car- if you put on say, Eibach performance springs but leave on the stock shocks, it's still going to be very under damped and never work quite right- the better springs will only magnify the weaker damping especially on the rebound. But in your case, you did at least get rid of the crappy stock spring soft 1st stage, so that can't help but make things a bit better all around.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:30 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

This explains it pretty good:

It seems that any fixed aperture (damper tube) is doomed to be deficient at the "extremes" of sharp edged bumps and inertia type nosedives. Improving one aspect will come at the expense of the other because you've only got one thing to work with, "a hole". Emulators and cartridges introduce, by way of their valving, a sort of variable aperture system allowing the damping to operate differently at one extreme from what it does at the other; hence the improvement.

I"M NO EXPERT but this is the explanation I was able to take away from the video. I would be less than enthusiastic about simply changing oil weights in a damper tube system unless a trade-off reducing shock absorption in favor of ride stability is what I was after in terms of improvement.

Last edited by HKMark23; 04-02-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:35 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

^^ Yeh that is pretty much it- ricor / ractech dampers are the closest you can get to drop in cartridges or a cartridge type of shock.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:47 PM
weezl
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepXK
I will scrape my pegs before the primary...... Scraping the pegs lets me know the primary is next and if possible i'll try to avoid that at all cost! Unfortunately this is the nature of the Breakout in pretty much any turns, you don't even have to be aggressive when scraping BUT I LOVE THIS BIKE and i will deal with it lol
Yeah, hear you, that's what normally happens with me also

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Usually for me the first to scrape is the heel of my boot. Next is the peg and then comes the primary. This being said you must of ignored the first indicators ; )
Yeah, I definitely did, it was a tight left corner into a parking lot, and I actually lifted the left peg up a touch so I could lean it just a little farther, well, that was a bad idea, haha. Oh well, live and learn. I still haven't seen the damage, I can feel it when I run my hand under the cover. Mistakes were made, battle scars and such, it's an ok story to tell

Originally Posted by splattttttt
weezl how fast were you going at the time? And please be honest.
I know that in very tight slow turns I can scrape it all. But at exiting ramps which I can do at speeds in excess of 40- 50mph (360* ramps are slower) nothing will scrape.
Honestly, I was doing maybe 15-20km/h so like 10-15mph, turning into a parking lot, and up the transition from the road into the lot, it was the lip on the transition that just kissed it

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Bummer - yep there is only so much lean angle especially on a stock bike. if you upgrade the fork springs and dampers you'll maintain clearance better. the front stock springs are so mushy the bike collapses under it's own weight and gravity in a turn, pulling bike closer to ground, scrapes much sooner than it should. if you hit a dip or bump in corner and are already pushing it you can slap down on the primary.

heck you lose an inch of clearance just sitting on the bike with the stock springs. anyway, the upgrade makes a very good difference in all aspects of riding, especially braking, so you may want to think about doing it.
Might do this next, I'm getting used to the bars, so I might hold off on replacing them for now... Just dropped $1100 on exhaust, should be here end of next week...

Old 04-03-2016, 12:26 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by weezl
Yeah, hear you, that's what normally happens with me also

Yeah, I definitely did, it was a tight left corner into a parking lot, and I actually lifted the left peg up a touch so I could lean it just a little farther, well, that was a bad idea, haha. Oh well, live and learn. I still haven't seen the damage, I can feel it when I run my hand under the cover. Mistakes were made, battle scars and such, it's an ok story to tell

Honestly, I was doing maybe 15-20km/h so like 10-15mph, turning into a parking lot, and up the transition from the road into the lot, it was the lip on the transition that just kissed it

Might do this next, I'm getting used to the bars, so I might hold off on replacing them for now... Just dropped $1100 on exhaust, should be here end of next week...
What exhaust ?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:22 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Lol, well at least now I know I'm not the only one who had that happen

Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

usually the speed I scrape at.
There is this really long fast left hand sweeper approximately 1/4mi's long I like to take at about 85mph with a tighter right hand switch onto the free way.
I'm very comfortable in it and the time it takes to complete the left allows me to look down at my left foot to gaige at how close it is to the pavement.
Not even close. Still at least an inch to go despite of the lean angle necessary.
Note; I would never try this on a cruiser that weighs 800lbs plus unless I trusted the quality of the tarmac the rubber is in contact with.
This section is pristine and totally doable at that speed.
On my RZ350, the bike would go into a head shake and sometimes drift the rear end at 70mph with good quality Metzler tires. So my Slim actually handles it better.
But at slow speeds, like in parking lots and such, it scrapes all. Not worried about it. Just as long as its not the handle bars LOL

Old 04-04-2016, 06:55 AM
weezl
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis
What exhaust ?
secret i'll have pics up in my build thread when I install it. it's black exhaust though... Also bought a tuner today

were you as annoyed as I was, that you can't even turn into a parking lot without doing damage?

interesting you say that, splattttt, I usually scrape my pegs making turns onto side streets or into parking lots and such, but I have scraped a couple times (gently) on the road, going around corners at speed. I think the fastest i've done and scraped was about 80km/h, too tired to convert it for you guys, but 96km/h is 60 mph so... 50?

ironic part is, I scrape pegs nearly EVERY day I ride the breakout, since about the second day riding it, but the 85 virago I have, and rode for 9 years before I leaned way harder into corners, and only once scraped anything, and that was the exhaust, slow speed, coming out of a parking lot and hit a dip, just a quick crunch on my v&h

Last edited by weezl; 04-04-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

were you as annoyed as I was, that you can't even turn into a parking lot without doing damage?

ironic part is, I scrape pegs nearly EVERY day I ride the breakout, since about the second day riding it, but the 85 virago I have, and rode for 9 years before I leaned way harder into corners, and only once scraped anything, and that was the exhaust, slow speed, coming out of a parking lot and hit a dip, just a quick crunch on my v&h
Yes I was annoyed but it only happened once....made me learn my lesson. Scraped the right peg and brake lever once as well.

Since then I just adapted my style of riding to the bike as I can't afford to spend a fortune on those parts

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread