Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:53 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I erroneously referred to my battery charger as a "Battery Tender", but it is actually a "smart" charger sold by Harley. A nice feature of the model I bought is that it is advertised as "water resistant", so if you store your bike outdoors under a storage cover, this battery charger can tolerate rain conditions as long as you aren't stupid: place it UNDER the crankcase to keep it out of direct rain, and place it on a board or something else to elevate it above ground level.

The HD model also comes in 2 different amp ratings, and has 2 lights that communicate proper connections and charging status.

The convenient way to use one is to have a harness permanently mounted on the bike that you simply plug the charger into as needed.

Jim G

Jim G

Thanks for the update and the clarification that you have a "smart" charger and not just a lowly "tender" I did check Harleys site and they also have a "SuperSmart Battery Tender" available. You should have went that route, after all its "SuperSmart"...better than just "smart".

Last edited by HenryT; 03-21-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome weezl!!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 03-21-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 PM
weezl
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Welcome bro. I think you'll get your answers within the next half dozen posts or so.

With OEM bars being ground zero, so to speak, if you plan on going to say, 16" bars why not measure your existing cables and then add 16" plus (minus) any adjustment in slack you deem desirable based on existing cable routing ?

Or, you could just go here:

https://www.denniskirk.com/search/20...ring+harness.q

As you're a fellow Canukistani, here's a Canadian vendor:

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cat...and+cable+kits
haha, yes I am, although I've never heard the term canukistani! I am going to guess you live in surrey? haha

thanks for the info, i'll definitely check those links out. I have bought some stuff for my old bike (85 virago 1000) from canada's motorcycle and had an amazing experience from them.

I asked the parts guy if I couldn't just add the number of inches of the apes, to the stock length of the cables, and the answer I got was a him/haw of something that more or less amounted to "well, you could try, but that's pretty risky" he went on and talked about adding 3" to make sure everything fits properly. I understand that extra isn't the end of the world, but when you're talking about radiused corners, adding 8" to the bars actually is closer to needing 6" extra length, not the other way around. Agreed with the 0" start, and going to 12" should be an easy calculation though.
Originally Posted by Rocker B
Welcome weezl!!!
Thanks Rocker. Your breakout is BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm planning on going for something a little similar, but still keeping some chrome here and there for accents. I think the chrome works well with the metallic green on my bike (I'll post some pics when the weather clears up, and it doesn't look like an OTS bike, haha)

ACTUALLY, looking at that pic of Chrome-less again, I might just read through your build thread and get my answers there!

Old 03-21-2016, 08:03 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Welcome Weezl - Congrats on the BO and "let the mods commence"! Tons of good info and members here.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:37 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

welcome weez. You came to the right place for answers.
Ride safe.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:57 AM
weezl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Welcome Weezl - Congrats on the BO and "let the mods commence"! Tons of good info and members here.
thank LA, yeah, i've already got quite the list for what I want to do to it. The first will be new bars, as it's just not comfortable to me as it is, and that's the priority. once that's done, I will be doing, in no particular order:

-stage 1, likely with V&H big radius black pipes (or something similar, but V&H always sounds nice)
-air suspension on the rear, but only if I can find a kit that will make the rear fender actually sit on the tire, when deflated.
-new grips and pegs (kinda an obvious one)
-JW speaker 8790 (black) headlight
-removable luggage, i am not a fan of bags, but i often go on weekend get aways, and it would be nice to have a set of hardbags I can pop on and off that look good, and use as needed

and i'm sure a few other things that may popup. that CVO tank console looks pretty sick, might end up swapping that out

Originally Posted by splattttttt
welcome weez. You came to the right place for answers.
Ride safe.
Thanks splat, i'm gonna try to keep it safe on this bike, it's worth too much money for me to put on the ground like i did with my last one, haha

Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Maybe a Gardian bell will help. Getting ready to send a few out. PM me if interested

Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by weezl

-stage 1, likely with V&H big radius black pipes (or something similar, but V&H always sounds nice)
-air suspension on the rear, but only if I can find a kit that will make the rear fender actually sit on the tire, when deflated.
-new grips and pegs (kinda an obvious one)
-JW speaker 8790 (black) headlight
-removable luggage, i am not a fan of bags, but i often go on weekend get aways, and it would be nice to have a set of hardbags I can pop on and off that look good, and use as needed

and i'm sure a few other things that may popup. that CVO tank console looks pretty sick, might end up swapping that out
that's a good start- Check out "Trask" bars, member Da-Rza 21 has a set on his BO and they look totally sick. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...out-build.html (flip through the thread about halfway where he upgraded the bars)
Or of you want higher ones then check out RockerB's BO with the apes, which also looks sick. The CVO bars / risers are nice but (IMO) they look pretty "stock", the Trask bars are similar but look way better.

Shotgun Shock is best for the air suspension- you cannot set the fender onto the tire with any air suspension unless you modify the bump stop. really not recommended though.

the Blackline tank dash looks pretty sick too, I think I've even seen a member chrome one of them if I recall correctly, and others have had them painted to match the bike. On mine I just wrapped it in 3M carbon fiber vinyl. there's a decent thread on the Blackline dash upgrade here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...er-lights.html

consider doing the front suspension (springs and dampers) and new tires. It will make a huge difference in the way the bike turns, stops and rides. not small, huge. sticky at top of softail forum.

VH pipes are of course a solid choice- they sound even better with the stock baffle removed and set of Big City Thunder baffles installed.

just my dollar's worth of input fwiw - have fun!

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-22-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:44 PM
weezl
Cruiser

Maybe a Gardian bell will help. Getting ready to send a few out. PM me if interested
you know I think I might just take you up on that!

I have to admit, I know the attitude most people with harleys are perceived to have, very elitist and exclusionary. I can't say if you guys are like that to people with different types of bikes, but I definately don't see that with me, being a newcomer to this brand and forum. You have all made me feel very welcome, and really appreciate the friendliness!

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
that's a good start- Check out "Trask" bars, member Da-Rza 21 has a set on his BO and they look totally sick. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...out-build.html (flip through the thread about halfway where he upgraded the bars)
Or of you want higher ones then check out RockerB's BO with the apes, which also looks sick. The CVO bars / risers are nice but (IMO) they look pretty "stock", the Trask bars are similar but look way better.

Shotgun Shock is best for the air suspension- you cannot set the fender onto the tire with any air suspension unless you modify the bump stop. really not recommended though.

the Blackline tank dash looks pretty sick too, I think I've even seen a member chrome one of them if I recall correctly, and others have had them painted to match the bike. On mine I just wrapped it in 3M carbon fiber vinyl. there's a decent thread on the Blackline dash upgrade here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...er-lights.html

consider doing the front suspension (springs and dampers) and new tires. It will make a huge difference in the way the bike turns, stops and rides. not small, huge. sticky at top of softail forum.

VH pipes are of course a solid choice- they sound even better with the stock baffle removed and set of Big City Thunder baffles installed.

just my dollar's worth of input fwiw - have fun!
Da-Rza's bars are too small for what i'm looking for, but the taller trask bars i'm finding on google are pretty sweet! something like these maybe:

RockerB's bars are beautiful! that's kinda the look i'm going for. Just have to figure out what height I want for sure now, and what the easiest way to figure it out without buying and being wrong, expensive mistake to make. The CVO's are nice, but definitely not what i'm looking for. I don't mind stock looking, but just not the right bars

the air suspension is way down the road, gotta do a lot of saving and thinking for that anyways

the blackline tank console is pretty nice, that was one of the first threads I read through when browsing this site, before joining. i don't know how it will look on the green bike though, the CVO looks a little more low profile and industrial, with the vent lines exposed, which I really like

as for suspension and tires, the tires I'll have to look into, i've got the extended warranty, so I want to make sure that if I change the tires that the new tires would be covered just the same, and i don't end up getting a replacement tire that's back to factory if I pickup a nail 2 weeks after putting them on. Probably wait till my tires need to be replaced before swapping them for something different also.

I'll look into different baffles on the V&H pipes once I get them on. Thanks for all the input for sure!

I am going to do some light reading about it, then likely remove my stock baffles today before taking it for a rip

Old 03-22-2016, 01:47 PM
weezl
Cruiser

I can't send you a PM for some reason... Maybe i'm not over a minimum post count to help eliminate spam PMs?

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread