Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Benjammin713
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yo, that post is legit, very detailed. Thank you!

I think i'm going to take the long way around like you did. Start with the 68t rear, ride, 30t front, ride, 70t. i think it's kinda cool to feel the progression and I like wrenching in the shop.

Mine is a '14 so ABS is a concern. Unbelievable HD/SESPT can't modify the speedo! Might be a back door way loading a 30t/70t map and modifying it from there but need to do more research. I had a powercomander on my '05 FXS and I'm just not sold on aftermarket modules. I did see Fuel Moto has a $150 trade in program so that might be an option.

Thanks again LA_D, I'm purchasing the front suspension parts on 3/1, another fantastic/detailed post!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:22 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjammin713
Yo, that post is legit, very detailed. Thank you!

I think i'm going to take the long way around like you did. Start with the 68t rear, ride, 30t front, ride, 70t. i think it's kinda cool to feel the progression and I like wrenching in the shop.

Mine is a '14 so ABS is a concern. Unbelievable HD/SESPT can't modify the speedo! Might be a back door way loading a 30t/70t map and modifying it from there but need to do more research. I had a powercomander on my '05 FXS and I'm just not sold on aftermarket modules. I did see Fuel Moto has a $150 trade in program so that might be an option.

Thanks again LA_D, I'm purchasing the front suspension parts on 3/1, another fantastic/detailed post!
A couple thoughts:

1. HD probably didn't WANT us correcting our speedometers, because it requires some math skill even when there is an editable field, and some people's math skills aren't that strong. For example, some riders think that if there is a 5mph difference bewteen speedo and actual, it STAYS at 5 mph no matter what speed the bike is traveling at, and that is not so. The difference is a PERCENTAGE, not a constant. HD probably fears that a rider will make an incorrect adjustment that results in the speedo reading LOW, get into an accident, and have "excess speed" thrown into the causes of the accident, and some slimy attorney would use that as a wedge to drag HD into the accident lawsuit process. I'm not kidding.

2. Going in "progressive steps" from 32T - 66T to 30T - 70T, even if you have the skills and tools to do all the work, can still be more expensive than doing it all at once, especially if your taste in pulleys runs to chrome. Example: I bought my brand new 70T Performance Machine pulley, with LA_Dog's advice and assistance, on eBay and got it for "only" $118 shipped, but the marked price on that pulley was $600!

Jim G

Old 02-25-2016, 09:38 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Da-Rza 21
looking good..your a lucky bastid that those canyons are your backyard!...hopefully ill be closer again..plan on moving back but temecula area...i still go quite a bit though...mullholland and glendora mtn rd is my favorite but on my ducatis...
Temecula area is nice- I've been through there a few times. and YES I feel very lucky. Mulholland is 1 mile from my house

Don't tempt me I've been eyballing some Duc's...

Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Alain
I'm slowly starting to make my way back into the forum after dealing with my divorce. Which should be final match 17th.

Anyway, I'm glad you came around about the wheel dude. Bike looks phenomenal.

My pipes are from Sikpipes. Tyler made them for me. I haven't put too many miles on the sled since I installed them. I did go on a few short runs around town and they sound bitchin dude, they have a loud/deep roar, and I didn't get any pop on the decel. They get hot as hell though since they don't have any heat shields. I will be wrapping them eventually though.
The bike feels like it pulls a little harder than it did with the Vance and Hines. That might be just in my head though hahaha.

Keep rockin out there in the west coast man. I wish I could jump on my bike but it's 30 degrees with 60 mph wind gusts here today lolol
Thanks Alain! I like how the VH BR pipes look and sound but I am still looking for something 'not so common', and that looks / sounds as good. I will definitely check them out. Hang in there bud I hope you get through the process relatively unscathed. I can't imagine how unpleasant that must be.

hey you probably already know this but- when you wrap the pipes use at least three layers, and don't pull the wrap super tight as you wrap it. it should be a lightly firm wrap since you want to leave airspace in the weave- that airspace provides added insulation benefits. and anything less than 3 layers of quality wrap does not do much.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:50 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
A couple thoughts:

1. HD probably didn't WANT us correcting our speedometers, because it requires some math skill even when there is an editable field, and some people's math skills aren't that strong.....
Jim G

Dammit Jim are you making an example out of about me again?? LOL

--------> I'm glad we have you here for the correct math!
--

Old 02-25-2016, 10:26 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Dammit Jim are you making an example out of about me again?? LOL

--------> I'm glad we have you here for the correct math!
--
Your non-math talents MORE than compensate!

Besides, we know that everything we men do somehow involves impressing women. Women aren't impressed by good gearing math skills. They are however impressed by really nice, well put together, and nice sunding bikes like yours.

So, in the end, which is more important?

Jim G

Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Your non-math talents MORE than compensate!
Thanks Jim - you know that's funny, my wife tells me the exact same thing.

I'd say ya got both though- so all bases covered eh? LOL

Old 02-26-2016, 01:42 AM
dsalvi
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip on muffles and stock heat shields

Hello again,
I really like the stock gloss black heat shields. I am wondering if they will fit back on the RUSH 23511 series slip ons? Are there others they will fit? SE? Street cannons?
FYI. I know (from this forum) that they WILL FIT on Bassani Firepower series mufflers but wondering about others.
Thanks for all replies!

Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 AM
JeepXK
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did someone say a 70 tooth rear pulley will work on our breakout's using the stock belt?

Old 02-26-2016, 06:24 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JeepXK
Did someone say a 70 tooth rear pulley will work on our breakout's using the stock belt?
Yes, LA_Dog has been tracking reported gearing changes, including his own, and has reported that a 70T pulley seems to barely fit and still allow mounting of the tire and proper adjustment of belt tension. However, it is CLOSE, and tolerances of both the bike and the belt do vary, and so the usual disclaimer applies: your results MAY vary, and if they do, please don't complain that you were misled!

Jim G

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread