Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:55 AM
RichBrowne
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RanchDweller
Can anyone let me know how the rear fender comes off of a '15 Breakout. I need to take the license plate light/holder off and install a blank light standoff. Thanks!

You don't need to pull the fender. Remove the left fender bracket. It's held by 4 external torx bolts and two internal torx bolts. Jack the rear end up, let the tire hang, and you can reach the inner bolts. Take your time. The wiring harnesses, two of them - tail light and license plate light, can be unplugged and the entire bracket assembly comes off the bike. To salvage the wiring you can disassemble the plug socket. You do not need to cut the wires. Easy to do.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:03 AM
Benjammin713
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
here ya go. i really got to see about making another sticky...

Breakout primary gears stock: 34 on the compensator, and 46 on the clutch bucket.
2013 to present FXSB - Pulley F: 32T - Pulley R: 66T Belt width: 24mm Length 133T

Sportster 1200 rear belt pulley and bolts:
2011 XL1200 pulley PN 40444-07 Retail $197 or can use PN 40350-07 as it is still used on the 2013 XL1200 72. the 40350-07 has a machine finish outer rim where the 40444-07 has a black outer rim. both have the machine finish detail on the inner part of outer rim with the black dots. otherwise it's the same sprocket. Sportster bolts are 7/16 - 14 x 1-3/4" PN 3899 hex bolt with lock patch $1 each.

Front final drive pulley: 30 Tooth Tans Sprocket
2011 Tri Glide Trans Sprocket is P/N 83595-11 $63, discount avg. prices HD-83595-11 (Kutter Harley or Surdyke, online)
The 30 tooth pulley is 12010227 from Drag Specialties (Andrews pulley = higher price).

Primary complete gasket kits needed:
Inner kit - Harley Davidson 25700226 GASKET KIT, INNER PRIMARY $43 avg price
Outer kit - JAMES GASKETS, INC. JGI-60547-06-KF GASKET KIT PRIMARY COVER $50 avg price

You can use the same 133T belt if you do both the 30T front and 68T rear, or leave the stock 32T front and do the 68T
Labor to install front pulley, 3hrs.
You'll need to adjust your "Speedometer Calibration" setting using a tuner like Powervision, to a value of 2372 to account for the new overall drive ratio.

Optional, instead of the 30T belt pulley you can purchase the Rivera 32 tooth motor compensator sprocket kit, about $200-$250 online. Rivera Primo Gear Ratio Game Changer 1066-0050 for 2007 later Big Twins, except 2014-up Touring.
Comes with front half of motor comp sprocket, new primary chain, adjustment spacer. less labor cost or DIY if yyou have tools, only need to buy an outer primary gasket and some primary fluid. With this new compensator sprocket and the 68T rear sportster sprocket, you'll end up with a 3.05 overall drive ratio- almost as good as the 32T / 68T belt pulley combo. You'll need to calculate and adjust your 1st-6th gear ratios using a tuner like Powervision.

Awesome info!

Is the speedo adjustment all that is required for adding 68T?

Im in the process of upgrading to ND and would like to add the 68T, but the budget doesn't allow for another dyno.
Living in a remote town I can get by with knowing 35 and 65mph.

If that's the only concern I can get by until I figure out the SESTP.

Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2016, 03:43 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjammin713
Awesome info!

Im in the process of upgrading to ND and would like to add the 68T, but the budget doesn't allow for another dyno.

Thanks again!
Changing to 68T rear sprocket does not require another dyno as you won't be changing the performance characteristcs of the engine. Also going from stock 66T to 68T only slightly affects the speed (speedo reeding) - by appr. 3%. For all info an details check out this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...p-to-13-a.html

With the SEPST you won't be able to modify the speedo calibration. Not even the HD techs at the dealer can do that with their software. To do that you will need an aftermarket tuner like the PV...

The following users liked this post:
Benjammin713 (11-09-2017)
Old 02-24-2016, 10:13 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjammin713
Awesome info!

Thanks again!
Good luck on the upgrades. You can go to a 70t on the rear of your bike instead of a 68t, now that we know it just barely fits. Or, do the 30t front and 68t rear combo.
I started off with only doing a 68t rear and it did help, which let me know I was headed in the right direction. then I did the 30t front and it made a major difference combined with the 68. but looking back now, had I known the 70t would fit on the rear with the 32 stock front, I would have done that instead of the 68t. See post #4 in that thread link above from EagleRay where there is info on finding the correct 70t pulley. that will give you a 6% improvement right off the bat.

Note- it is important to keep your speedometer correct as it can effect things like ABS, odometer as well. you don't need a dyno retune with a gearing ratio improvement but you can certainly optimize spark timing advance to take better advantage of it.

The following users liked this post:
Benjammin713 (04-10-2020)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

gratuitous photo time- beautiful day up on Mulholland Drive / Hollywood Hills, took the BO out for some tuning and data logging runs- oh and needed milk at the store too. like I need an excuse right? ;p - anyway the bike is running GREAT! I gave some dude on a zx6 a real fit today- guy comes up next to me at the light, we gave the usual friendly rider nod, and I know he was thinking- "i'm gonna get by the slow harley dude" - hell that was me back in the day on the sport bikes. So light goes green and I give him a quick lesson in rear wheel TQ. - yeh he blazes by me later but I had already started slowing down- just did the show-off warp speed from 0 to 60 and left him in my mirror. you gotta love big twins for that.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good Dog. I'm so happy you finally got those wheels to match man. Used to drive me nuts Hahahaha.

Looking good brotha man !!!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Alain - whattup brohannisburg- nice to hear from ya. Yes you know that upgrade was almost entirely your fault. hah. but yeh it looks so much better. and no wheel weights needed either as a bonus.

what pipes are those on the rocker- bad *** right there...

Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm slowly starting to make my way back into the forum after dealing with my divorce. Which should be final match 17th.

Anyway, I'm glad you came around about the wheel dude. Bike looks phenomenal.

My pipes are from Sikpipes. Tyler made them for me. I haven't put too many miles on the sled since I installed them. I did go on a few short runs around town and they sound bitchin dude, they have a loud/deep roar, and I didn't get any pop on the decel. They get hot as hell though since they don't have any heat shields. I will be wrapping them eventually though.
The bike feels like it pulls a little harder than it did with the Vance and Hines. That might be just in my head though hahaha.

Keep rockin out there in the west coast man. I wish I could jump on my bike but it's 30 degrees with 60 mph wind gusts here today lolol

Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice pics Dog!! bike looks great!!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

gratuitous photo time- beautiful day up on Mulholland Drive / Hollywood Hills, took the BO out for some tuning and data logging runs- oh and needed milk at the store too. like I need an excuse right? ;p - anyway the bike is running GREAT! I gave some dude on a zx6 a real fit today- guy comes up next to me at the light, we gave the usual friendly rider nod, and I know he was thinking- "i'm gonna get by the slow harley dude" - hell that was me back in the day on the sport bikes. So light goes green and I give him a quick lesson in rear wheel TQ. - yeh he blazes by me later but I had already started slowing down- just did the show-off warp speed from 0 to 60 and left him in my mirror. you gotta love big twins for that.

looking good..your a lucky bastid that those canyons are your backyard!...hopefully ill be closer again..plan on moving back but temecula area...i still go quite a bit though...mullholland and glendora mtn rd is my favorite but on my ducatis...

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread