Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:45 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd look into getting a complete set of cushy aftermarket seats for that kind of duration ride. Otherwise OL will be giving you hell after a couple hours. Something from Sundowner, Mustang etc.

The QD backrest is a poor joke for the Breakout. Why HD did not design something better for this bike is a mystery. you could re-stuff the backrest pad with thinner gel foam and it won't intrude as much. I ended up fabricating my own backrest from scratch.

Another way to go- If you don't mind drilling three holes in your rear fender you can use the backrest sissy bar kit for a Deuce, tall or short. with the passenger pillion on you don't see the holes. the benefit is you can set the back-spacing correctly for the passenger. downside is well, you have three permanent holes in your fender even though they are hidden by the passenger seat. the one i fabricated floats on top of the fender vs drilling holes in it.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 02-08-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:36 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

I like the Corbin seats. As comfy as they look, I'll just have to eat the looks for a good long ride anyways. I'll check with a few metal fabricators that I know. They might be able to weld something up for a backrest that will bolt into my QD brackets.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by UHDhog
I like the Corbin seats. As comfy as they look, I'll just have to eat the looks for a good long ride anyways. I'll check with a few metal fabricators that I know. They might be able to weld something up for a backrest that will bolt into my QD brackets.
I LOVE my Corbin seat.

Here are some photos:

Name:  2014-08-05CorbinseatRHprofile_zps3f44eec9.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  2014-08-05Corbinseattop_zps0400382e.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  2014-08-05Corbinseattopfromleft_zps820d2998.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  61.6 KB

Note the electric heat switch on the left side of the seat, above the chrome trim piece. My seat was custom built for me with that option and others.

Jim G

Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by UHDhog
Anyone here load out their Breakout for a 1200+ mile trip with the OL?

I already have a windshield and throw over saddle bags. I plan on getting the "EZ-Braket" to install on the bags and cut the yoke out so I can strip her down when I get to my destination.

Seat options and highway pegs are basically what I'm looking towards now. The HD QD backrest seems to take about 2-3 inches away from the OL's seat. I have the bigger passenger Harley pillion for her now, but I don't think she will do that many miles and be happy about it.

I don't want to use a crash bar for the highway pegs, so if anyone has a peg/ flip-blade setup, please let me know how you like them.

Thanks in advance.
I have done this is what not too bad. We maybe did 1,200 total over 4 days. We have the Sundowners we used for this trip. Not bad really.

I agree the backrest works fine for short around town stuff but does position the passenger too far forward. Another poster was complaining about the same issue. He tried the QD adjustable backrest brackets and reports that they made a huge difference in allowing the passenger to sit further back on the passenger pillion. Wish I would have known that before buying the non-adjustable QD brackets. Think I will see if I can sell them and pick up the QD adjustable ones.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by HenryT
I have done this is what not too bad. We maybe did 1,200 total over 4 days. We have the Sundowners we used for this trip. Not bad really.

I agree the backrest works fine for short around town stuff but does position the passenger too far forward. Another poster was complaining about the same issue. He tried the QD adjustable backrest brackets and reports that they made a huge difference in allowing the passenger to sit further back on the passenger pillion. Wish I would have known that before buying the non-adjustable QD brackets. Think I will see if I can sell them and pick up the QD adjustable ones.
The photos in the posting immediately above yours show not only the Corbin seat but also the ADJUSTABLE HD backrest. As you can see, it positions itself further rearward for no interference with the passenger seat. It also has an adjustable tilt which your passenger may appreciate. And, it makes a terrific mount for some of the HD (or other brand) luggage bags.

Jim G

Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
The photos in the posting immediately above yours show not only the Corbin seat but also the ADJUSTABLE HD backrest. As you can see, it positions itself further rearward for no interference with the passenger seat. It also has an adjustable tilt which your passenger may appreciate. And, it makes a terrific mount for some of the HD (or other brand) luggage bags.

Jim G
Thanks, your seats look great. Yeah I'm thinking I want the adjustable backrest brackets.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Bike looks great Jim- when you gonna pull off those reflectors? your wheels will shine back more than they will

Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Bike looks great Jim- when you gonna pull off those reflectors? your wheels will shine back more than they will
You've got a point there about the wheels being better reflectors than the reflectors!

But, here's the thing: I am hesitant. If someone in a cage backs into your bike some dark night in a parking lot, his or her insurance company will claim that you contributed to the accident by removing a standard, legally required safety feature.

In fact, I had a friend years ago who parked his gorgeous blacked-out car in a restaurant parking lot with dim lighting, and a retiree with limited night vision backed right into it HARD! And yes, the other insurance company claimed "failure to mitigate the damages" and the car was never the same after being repaired.

But, assuming I will overcome this hesitation, how do I remove the reflectors from a 2-year old bike without damaging the paint underneath? The adhesive really got baked in 2 years of Texas Sun and trailer interior temperatures that hit 115 degrees on the worst summer days.

Jim G

Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Use some fishing line to cut through the adhesive to get the reflectors off and then go back over the residue with some goo gone or some WD-40 and you'll never know they were there.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mother
Use some fishing line to cut through the adhesive to get the reflectors off and then go back over the residue with some goo gone or some WD-40 and you'll never know they were there.
Thanks. I'll try that!

For the fishing line, I assume thinner but high test weight, for best results?

Jim G

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread