Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by "Tex"
Hey LA Dog I just switched to the Night Dragons how do you like them?

Also the only other mod I'm seriously playing with is shotgun shocks. Anyone have any experience with them both install, performance and after service?
Those Dragon tires seem like a nice option....too bad they don't make a 130/60/21 or I would have given them a shot when the time comes.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Those Dragon tires seem like a nice option....too bad they don't make a 130/60/21 or I would have given them a shot when the time comes.
Good luck finding ANY 130/60/21 tire other than the stock crappy Dunlop, AND the use of the 130 was clearly an ERROR by HD! And you want to prolong the error beyond the tread life of the factory tire?? Why???

Discover REAL handling. Buy a Pirelli or Avon 120 width tire.

Jim G

Old 01-26-2016, 09:32 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Indeed, you may want to consider getting rid of the 130/60 and put on a proper sized 120/70 - as Jim already mentioned, it is the wrong size tire for the 3.5" rim. Bike will handle much better, you'll like it

Probably a marketing choice by HD- or a bulk purchase agreement with Dunlop. who knows. still not the right tire size though.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Goldsgym
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R1jamn
Hey Goldsgym.
Very nice Breakout. I like what you have done with the blacked out parts.
What method or process did you use to black out the triple tree's?

[/QUOTE]

Thank you

Everything is powder coated

Old 01-27-2016, 02:51 PM
R1jamn
2nd Gear

^^^
Thanks

Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 192 Posts

Speaking of Breakout tires as we have been from (multiple) time to time, did anyone beyond me notice that the 2016 Breakout CVO has a 19" front wheel versus a 21" - a step backwards, and continues with that strange 130mm wide tire, and the odd combination of bias ply tire on the front with a radial tire on the rear?

There is no end to Harley's strange practices . . .

Jim G

Old 01-28-2016, 07:36 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Speaking of Breakout tires as we have been from (multiple) time to time, did anyone beyond me notice that the 2016 Breakout CVO has a 19" front wheel versus a 21" - a step backwards, and continues with that strange 130mm wide tire, and the odd combination of bias ply tire on the front with a radial tire on the rear?

Jim G
I would imagine the smaller diameter wheel/tire is more geared towards performance, or at least the look. Either that, or maybe there was a clearance issue with that fork change?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki

Jim G
If you took a look at my last post in the 2016 cvo breakout thread you would have seen that I mentioned it there....

Old 01-28-2016, 08:21 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Yeh guys I was really scratching my head on that one. I see were they were going for more of the "pro street" look, but having a smaller front tire does not necessarily make it more pro street- mostly quite the opposite, makes it more 'sport bike'. lol

And the mismatched tires, bias and radial mixing, that is basic "tire no-no" 101. I thought maybe that was a typo or mistake.

Kind of a bummer- HD had some pretty weak sales numbers this past year and I don't think these types of nonsense changes are going to help. the smaller front wheel makes the bike look odd/ out of proportion, and takes away from the initial pro street character it was designed to have. The mismatched tires and (continued) incorrect front tire size are only going to hurt HD's credibility for producing good bikes. Anyone who knows bikes and basics is going to be like "Wtf" on the tires.

IMO person(s) at corporate in charge of approving this change needs to get the boot. What they should have done is leave the basic design alone and focus on new cool paint schemes and a wide array of model specific replacement goodies- custom sissy bar, better seats, bar and riser options, black powdercoated replacement parts, custom rear fenders, etc.

If I were going to make a design change I would only look at increasing the stock lean angle for a bit more corner clearance, an adjustable rate or single rate front fork suspension, and correct size 120/70 on the 21" wheel. There was really nothing the Breakout needed in terms of visual styling changes, it's already pretty exceptional for a stock bike. I mean all they did was fix something that ain't broke - and not for the better.

[/end rant - sorry]

Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM
dsalvi
4th Gear
Default 16 cvo pro street breakout

I'm going to say a few things about the new bike. It's the whole reason we have the interwebs !!

Meh

First the name "pro street". It doesn't really feel like a Harley. Harley's fit into a class of their own. Thinking I might feel better if I put a "jegs" sticker on my Prius Second , anybody can fabricate a Star Raider bullet fairing bracket and put it on a bike. Looks oversized and silly. HD should have taken a page from thunderbikes' book. Third, that chin scoop is off of some old deuce screamin eagle and looking from the side, extends below the frame. Looks like it might even be loose at the time of photo. Double disc brakes on front for those squids who like to do "endos" while coming to a stop on their naked bikes. The paint....well it's been my experience that ALL HD paint jobs look better in person...but not impressed with photos. I like the smoke-chrome look of some of the pieces tho...
The best part about this bike is the 110 motor.

HD should have put the motor on a stock BO with the night rod headlamp & mini fairing, dip the whole kit-and-kaboodle in black, labeled it an "S" model and called it a day. At least an S version would have shown "product line continuity". And sold a ton...
My question is: "is there going to be an opening in the HD styling dept?" Prolly...
/end rant

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread