Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:44 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Thanks- And they work really well too- Good Italian glass and craftsmanship, no vibration. I got the idea from Thunderbike, they had put a chrome set on a customized CVO Breakout. They are the Rizoma Circuit 851 mirrors- you can order them with the correct mirror stems for Harley. Here is one online HD parts place that sells them- get the model number then price shop online. http://www.harleycustom.com/Prod-Riz...11-68-883.html
Thanks!

Old 12-24-2015, 06:56 PM
_Martin_
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
That would do it, just curious where you think the gap would be??
This one is for 2015 Breakout...
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...09-36700067--1

Old 12-24-2015, 07:17 PM
sickntwisted
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _Martin_
Doesn't show in "fitment" but it certainly looks correct. Do you know for sure that it will work?

Thanks either way. I'll order that set and see if it works.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:39 PM
sickntwisted
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look close, however they are not identical. Look at the tab, the missing holes and the set you posted seem to be for hydraulic clutch.

2015 Breakout lever: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...09-36700105--1

Set _Martin_ posted: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...09-36700067--1

Old 12-24-2015, 07:53 PM
_Martin_
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sickntwisted
They look close, however they are not identical. Look at the tab, the missing holes and the set you posted seem to be for hydraulic clutch.

2015 Breakout lever: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...09-36700105--1

Set _Martin_ posted: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...09-36700067--1
I will ask my guy at the dealer over the weekend because I like to by this set too.
I let you know what he said.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sickntwisted
I think it will leave a gap. I hate that they changed for 2015, no one has anything i like.

Think my best option is to replace the mount and lever with 2014 parts
I think the master cylinder might be different for 2014 since the front brake disc is slightly larger on 2015 / up. - double check w/ Dealer. I believe PM makes a complete replacement set of bad *** contrast cut handlebar controls / levers- or it might be RSD. One of them- I recall seeing them at a show and they were pretty sick.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:25 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks man, pulley and 3'ext. shift linkage are HD Edge Cut The derby, res covers, a/c and pegs are Ness.
Nice job matching it all up! That's usually hard to do with different brands. I'm thinking the design might go with my PM wheels and I've been looking to upgrade those parts. But the pulley, I have to keep that since it is a couple teeth larger pulley from a sportster 1200XL. That combined with the front pulley off a tri glide gave me 10% more TQ to the rear wheel, without sacrificing anything.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:13 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice job matching it all up! That's usually hard to do with different brands. I'm thinking the design might go with my PM wheels and I've been looking to upgrade those parts. But the pulley, I have to keep that since it is a couple teeth larger pulley from a sportster 1200XL. That combined with the front pulley off a tri glide gave me 10% more TQ to the rear wheel, without sacrificing anything.
Ya, I'm still thinking about trying a 70 tooth pulley. You told me you think I would gain about 7.7% with just that!! If it will fit, it's a simple DIY.. I've found a few that would look nice with my gasser wheels, but they're pricey, still like to see if it works, if I can find one that that looks good for the right price, or a cheap one and make sure I can get it on there before spending the big $$
Southern Motorcycle Works has some nice looking pulleys available 68 and 70 tooth, I like the contrast or edge cut, but they have all black or chrome also. One of the 68s might look good with your PMs!!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 12-26-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:46 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya, I'm still thinking about trying a 70 tooth pulley. You told me you think I would gain about 7.7% with just that!! If it will fit, it's a simple DIY.. I've found a few that would look nice with my gasser wheels, but they're pricey, still like to see if it works, if I can find one that that looks good for the right price, or a cheap one and make sure I can get it on there before spending the big $$
Southern Motorcycle Works has some nice looking pulleys available 68 and 70 tooth, I like the edge cut, but they have black or chrome also. One of the 68s might look good with your PMs!!!
thanks for the tip on the pulley source- that's why I love this thread, excellent knowledge pool here - Ultimately, a 70t rear would be the best so I'll look into that. Hopefully can use the stock length belt.

You are looking at a 3% TQ increase by installing the Sportster 68T pulley sprocket. Stock ratio is 2.79 and it will change to 2.875. The tri-glide 30t front pulley gives you the biggest net change at 6+ percent. A 70t rear pulley by itself would be somewhere around 7% and it may actually fit with the stock belt.

The ultimate is a 30/70 setup, that would be a net 13% benefit. you'd only be at say 2400 rpm / 60mph and 3200 rpm / 80mph. Not even close to any issue. But a MUCH quicker bike than stock.

IIRC, all older HD's used to come stock with a 29t/70t pulley combo (or something close to that), before all the EPA and noise regulation crap came down- so what these pulley upgrades do is get our bikes back to the "good ol days" of optimal final drive ratio (in the neighborhood of better than 3:1) for performance.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 12-25-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:01 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Merry Xmas everyone. Lots of time off this week so I decided to mess around with creating "stealth" mini front turn signals using the newest type of ultra bright T10 LED bulbs. I had an extra pair since I bought 4 of them for my Nissan Frontier.

Anyway, this took me a whole whopping 20 minutes to install (I had already removed the stock turn signals and tucked the wires back into the handlebars).

Parts needed: solder, 26 gauge wire scrap (about 16"), heat shrink, 3M automotive trim double stick tape, acrylic conformal coating. If you are removing your stock turn signals you'll need new bolts to hold the mirrors.

LED Bulbs used (comes as a pair for $11): www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RYT02WQ
Acrylic Conformal Coating (use this to waterproof any electronics- seriously excellent stuff with many uses, $11): MG Chemicals 419C Acrylic Lacquer Conformal Coating, 55 ml Bottle, Clear: Epoxy Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The process is pretty easy. I first dipped the bulbs into the conformal coating and let them dry. I dip all of my led auto bulbs into that stuff and they never fail from moisture. this stuff makes them completely water proof.

Next, solder some thin wire scrap onto the left and right pads of the LED bulbs- each piece of wire should be about 4" long. thin flexible 24/26 ga silicon wire is best like the kind used on RC quadcopters. You can use all black wires because these bulbs can be hooked up any direction, there is no set + and - direction. You'll connect the wires from the bulbs to the black and purple stock wires, solder, use heat shrink to cover the connection, then tuck the wires back into the wire channels under the handlebar controls. It is very self explanatory once you look at it. Use 3M body trim tape to stick the bulbs up under the handlebar controls. done.

Summary: $22 in parts if you also buy the coating dip, and 30 mins to 1hr to complete.

These LEDs are extremely bright and highly visible even in full sun- they will shine forward and directly downward once mounted.

From normal distance the led turn signal bulbs are pretty invisible:

Closer shot of the mounting locations- they just stick underneath on the flat areas of the handlebar controls and these locations are adjacent to the wiring outlet channels

Brightness of turn signal in daytime- sorry my headlight is washing out the photo- I have an 80w LED bulb retrofitted into the stock housing and it is stupid bright.
Do these LEDs work as running lights as well?

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread