Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 05:45 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
The bulbs I posted are plenty bright and there is a noticeable difference between running and stop. I ride a lot and have never heard anyone complain or had any issues with people running into me.
I was wrong on the price as I assumed they were per bulb.
Alright no big deal 24- Main reason I posted the DIY is I have come across posts here and there with guys wanting to use them and asking if there is a way to make them fit. $20 for a pair of very bright bulbs that are equally as bright in the daytime is a good deal.

So my info is for those folks or anyone else looking to use the newest generation of high power LED 1157 bulbs, that's all, purely to lend some help and info. I've used all of the older types like the one you linked to, and the variants available at Kragen / Pep Buys / Autozone- To me they are way too dim in the daytime, and most don't last more than a year. The ones I linked to on Amazon also have a 2yr warranty, and JDM does actually honor it without hassle. They are pretty much 2x to 3x as bright, contain a driver IC circuit and proper heat sinking (e.g. so they last a long time).

Anyway- Not sure why the negativity towards a simple DIY- if you hate it that's all good, your bike looks great. Me I want the brightest lights I can get with the crazy LA drivers out here, and I'm pointing out there is a significant difference between what you're using and what I am using. We're all about variety here. Peace out man- have a Happy Holidays.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

I wasn't hating, just saying there was another option.
These bulbs are nothing like the ones at the local parts stores. I used them before as well. They suck bad.
The bulbs I posted are very bright and work well, and require no modification. As for them lasting, they have been in my bike since August 2014, so not bad.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 453 Posts

less work, good result, i'm in!

Old 12-09-2015, 05:57 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

I also removed my post from your DIY because I think it is cool you spend the time to explain.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:03 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
I wasn't hating, just saying there was another option.
These bulbs are nothing like the ones at the local parts stores. I used them before as well. They suck bad.
The bulbs I posted are very bright and work well, and require no modification. As for them lasting, they have been in my bike since August 2014, so not bad.
cool cool- got it brother. So here check this out I just pushed the bike outside and took some pics. this is in full sun, tail light only, no brake light.

The third pic is in my carport - check the red light throw on the ground behind bike! that is just tail light.

The light is actually VERY red. It is so bright it is washing out my iphone camera and it shows up in the pics more orangy. But it is purely deep red light not a hint of orange. I guess overall you could say it is on par with the newer Mercedes LED tail lights as far as output. Seriously though.. way way brighter.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

like that swing arm bag, got a better picture of it, what make is it?

Old 12-09-2015, 06:09 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
I also removed my post from your DIY because I think it is cool you spend the time to explain.

Thanks- i hope my pics have helped demonstrate that there is yet another option as well as a clear difference. just like you went with the led bulbs in your link because you found them superior to the 'pep boys' variety, I'm doing the same thing more or less with the even newer gen of LED bulbs. And the nice thing is the newest ones cost less per pair, and realistically, it's pretty easy to make them fit.

Originally Posted by Freak Show
like that swing arm bag, got a better picture of it, what make is it?
Thanks- i got it off ebay from a seller in sweden. it is very high quality and the graphic is laser etched into the leather- after well over a year is has not shown any wear. definitely love it. hey I just found one for sale for you on ebay - from UK. price is not bad! it is very stiff quality leather and I can't find anything bad to say about it at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Leather-...-/191088944185

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-17-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 12-16-2015, 06:55 PM
molnar70
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn Signals

Can anyone give me the run down on relocating my turn signals to the forks?

Old 12-17-2015, 04:04 PM
brianp25
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone tell me if the front forks should be at a 90 degree to the top clamp on a standard breakout? The manual isn't very clear to me

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread