Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:33 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjus07
Back in the saddle . . at 17 HD SS175, then 1977 XLCR then 1975 FLH, 1989 Springer, 1972 FX and now at 56 after no Harley for 10 years 2016 BO . . awesome machine.

2016 BO<br/>Mini Apes, VH Short Shots, SE Air cleaner

Congrats on the new bike! U will love it! There's plenty of great info on this thread and in the softail section in general....

I see u share my taste in terms of air cleaner

Old 11-08-2015, 11:16 AM
MarkFXSTC
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjus07
Back in the saddle . . at 17 HD SS175, then 1977 XLCR then 1975 FLH, 1989 Springer, 1972 FX and now at 56 after no Harley for 10 years 2016 BO . . awesome machine.

2016 BO<br/>Mini Apes, VH Short Shots, SE Air cleaner

I'm liking that style. Nicely done!!
I wish I had 2 X breakouts. I'd have one all chromed and the other all black. Oh and no money!!!

Old 11-08-2015, 01:15 PM
kevjus07
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prefer 'classic' look to the forward pointing cleaners

Old 11-13-2015, 01:41 AM
DCR02
1st Gear
Default Short ****

Boys, first post .... I've read about 280 pages so far and sourcing as much info as I can on what mods have been done for the more vertically challenged. I'm 5ft4inch and trying to see if anyone else is around the same and what was done to obtain a decent riding position.
Thinking reach seat , change of bars to help reduce the reach ... Any suggestions as I don't want to go apes, risers, drop suspension down 2 inches. Suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited by DCR02; 11-13-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:04 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 404 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by DCR02
Boys, first post .... I've read about 280 pages so far and sourcing as much info as I can on what mods have been done for the more vertically challenged. I'm 5ft4inch and trying to see if anyone else is around the same and what was done to obtain a decent riding position.
Thinking reach seat , change of bars to help reduce the reach ... Any suggestions as I don't want to go apes, risers, drop suspension down 2 inches. Suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.
Cheers
I'm a little taller than you are (5' 8 or 9"), but here is what I found:

- Reach seat by itself does move you forward and down, which really helped the ergonomics, BUT the down part is a problem because the stock seat (let alone the reach seat seat) is already too thin right at the front (to get that long, low look), and the reach seat, which is even thinner, will transmit every pavement ridge painfully up your spine

- Lowering the bike 1" at the rear really hurt the ride AND the ground clearance noticeably. I ended up having the dealership raise me back as much as the lowering link would allow, which left me a fraction of an inch lower than stock, but much more comfortable than than it was when lowered 1".

- I bought a customized Corbin seat with the following features: moved sitting position 1" forward from stock, provided wider and deeper / better foam bum area (really helped reduce the road shock from those pavement ridges), nice leather top, and electric heat. It has worked out really well.

Jim G

Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87
Maybe a dumb question.. but have any of you done anything about adding a gas gauge? My Sporty doesn't have one either, but I'm surprised the Breakout is lacking one as well.

Also, I don't like the angle the Speedometer is at, do I have any options there? Taking my eyes too far off the road to look at the digi tach while doing the break in process.
I use a Raptor shift light for most of my break-ins. (search ebay for it) - small, mounts on the bars, flashes when you hit a pre-determined rpm. after break-in just take it off. anyway really easy to see the shift light day or night in peripheral vision. I agree the gauge mounting is not optimal for visibility but it more fits with the sleek look of the BO. I think there is a better HD gauge you an get that has a more pronounced tach display.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:10 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Cheers
Welcome to the forum! whatever you do, DO NOT lower the bike all around or you will really lose all of your cornering clearance. As it is, the front fork suspension is extra-mushy and you lose 2" of height just braking into a turn.

You can do a majority of adjustment with having the seat revised- Go to a good seat shop and have them re-fit the seat for your needs. the rest of it can be adjusted with bars that sweep back a bit more, if needed. I think the CVO bars / riser will give you a closer reach.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Figjam
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers
I am also 5'4" and have my bike in being "built". Personal ride comfort was big on the requirements list.
  • Replace air cleaner that stuck into my right knee
  • Custom seat to suit
  • Replacing handlebars with more pull back.
  • Adjustable air rear end to lower as required by flicking the switches
  • Upgraded front suspension to reduce compression into corners and compensate a bit if riding low on rear.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 PM
DCR02
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I'm a little taller than you are (5' 8 or 9"), but here is what I found:

- Reach seat by itself does move you forward and down, which really helped the ergonomics, BUT the down part is a problem because the stock seat (let alone the reach seat seat) is already too thin right at the front (to get that long, low look), and the reach seat, which is even thinner, will transmit every pavement ridge painfully up your spine

- Lowering the bike 1" at the rear really hurt the ride AND the ground clearance noticeably. I ended up having the dealership raise me back as much as the lowering link would allow, which left me a fraction of an inch lower than stock, but much more comfortable than than it was when lowered 1".

- I bought a customized Corbin seat with the following features: moved sitting position 1" forward from stock, provided wider and deeper / better foam bum area (really helped reduce the road shock from those pavement ridges), nice leather top, and electric heat. It has worked out really well.

Jim G
Thanks Jim appreciate your thoughts mate.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 PM
DCR02
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Figjam
I am also 5'4" and have my bike in being "built". Personal ride comfort was big on the requirements list.
  • Replace air cleaner that stuck into my right knee
  • Custom seat to suit
  • Replacing handlebars with more pull back.
  • Adjustable air rear end to lower as required by flicking the switches
  • Upgraded front suspension to reduce compression into corners and compensate a bit if riding low on rear.
Figjam I will be keen to see your mods and how they go. Keep me posted if you wouldn't mind. Also the cost of your mods. Did you buy new off the floor?

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread